Hope for the best, plan for the worst

Hello all,

I am, of course, looking into using Unraid.  I am a "hope for the best, plan for the worst" kind of operator.  I am a 3-2-1 backup kind of person, and have routes that if something goes wrong I can in short order get back to running.  I am looking at setting up a multi-purpose box, including work VMs.  It seems like to me the the most concerning part of Unraid is the license key.  I am sure that it is rare, but I have seen reports of people suddenly finding out their machine is locked because the system went back to an expired trial.  It appears that it commonly is due to a USB drive that doesn't have a unique GUID or after upgrading the machine; however, it seems like some have implied that his or her machine reverted spontaneously reverted.  I would like to not be caught off guard with the machine locking me out during work or some important time.  I am more than happy to prepare an appropriate time and hardware to ensure everything stays running.

• When are key checks done?
  • If they are done only at boot time, does Unraid ever require spontaneous reboots or upgrades?
  • I have a Kingston DTSE9 drive.  Can anyone vouch for it or USB drives that don't duplicate GUIDs?
  • If my USB drive is delisted, is it possible to get running again with a trial until support can resolve the issue on a new USB?  Is there a limit to the number of trial keys like the number of USB transfers?

FYI, I have a UPS to prevent power outages (run time 6+ hours) or time to safely shut down.  So, spontaneous reboots should not be an issue.

Thank you.

Edited by D16R
Submitted too early.
3 hours ago, D16R said:

When are key checks done?

At array start. Full licenses are validated internally, Trials are checked for validity on limetech's servers, so internet is needed for trial keys only.

3 hours ago, D16R said:

If they are done only at boot time, does Unraid ever require spontaneous reboots or upgrades?

They aren't done at boot time, only array start. Unraid will never upgrade or reboot without external influence.

3 hours ago, D16R said:

I have a Kingston DTSE9 drive.  Can anyone vouch for it or USB drives that don't duplicate GUIDs?

I have 8 or so of that model in 16GB USB 2.0 form, each has a unique GUID. HOWEVER... there was a report on here that someone who bought a multi pack of those same drives had the same GUID on all drives in that multipack. I personally bought all mine as singles, because there wasn't a price break on multi packs when I purchased.

There are also reports of counterfeit DTSE9 on the market, who knows how widespread that is.

3 hours ago, D16R said:

If my USB drive is delisted, is it possible to get running again with a trial until support can resolve the issue on a new USB?  Is there a limit to the number of trial keys like the number of USB transfers?

If your GUID is blacklisted, you can transfer your license to a new key. I'm not aware of the interaction between trial keys and email addresses, I'm not a limetech employee.

Any issues with licensing if not handled by the automated system in place are quickly handled directly with Limetech, they are very responsive.

3 hours ago, D16R said:

some have implied that his or her machine reverted spontaneously reverted

That's not possible AFAIK. Paid licenses don't communicate to a license server. Period. No exceptions.