[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

1 hour ago, JoergHH said:

...and classify it currently as buggy.

i think this say everything: image.png.4099558152b69d22e835c2834cd6422e.png

ich777 is doing his best, to help every one who's using his plugin and is hard working for a stable release

Edited by sonic6
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, JoergHH said:

(Perhaps betas should not be offered in CA. Or at least with option to hide them).

Don't get me wrong, but perhaps users should use their eyes and read... enough off-topic. 

On the other side, maybe this is a good feature request.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JoergHH said:

I will therefore uninstall it and classify it currently as buggy.

What's the exact problem with the plugin in your case?

There is simply nothing I can do about being buggy in your case and on some other hardware configurations since this plugin is just a front end for GVT-g itself that is a part of the Kernel Module.

From my perspective it seems like the most problems happen with Xeon platform CPU's since you have a Xeon and @bobokun also has a Xeon CPU (for now I got only 2 reports that wasn't resolved until now, the others are all solved or answered :) )

If you have any problems with the error codes please open a issue on the official GVT-g Github repository: Click

Btw, have you already tried Windows 10 instead of Windows 7?

Hope this makes sense to you. :)

EDIT: Oh I don't saw that comment:

1 hour ago, JoergHH said:

Therefore, I am now waiting for the release.

(Perhaps betas should not be offered in CA. Or at least with option to hide them).

Well, I'm not the only developer that releases beta software and I marked it only as beta because of the web frontend. :)

The GVT-g is a release version, since it ships with the Kernel itself and should work.

As said above if you got a problem please open a issue on Github in the official repo.

@JoergHH may i ask if you even tried with a win 10 Installation as suggested ? im also interested if it works or not and may we could help to figure it out. in case you always expect final tested products on xxx hardware combos then you really shouldnt look for things like this which even are tagged beta.

as you see in previous posts i can tell you it works nice here and on 2 other unraid mashines i manage, but i have to admit there is no xeon on my playground here.

about converting bios, i gave you a tutorial for windows 10, windows 7 ... as this is something i personally wont run anymore, did you take a google search and looked what is suggested, just remember, always make a backup from your vdisk image file so you can easily roll back in case its already a configured VM.

also a suggestion, may increase cores (at least 2) and set the RAM to a fixed value, like either 2 or 4 gb RAM

Edited by alturismo
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind helping out with beta testing and that's why I'm here to provide any diagnostic reports when those errors do come in. So far I've tried to produce a new VM using Seabios and mode 4 rather than ovmf mode 8. Both tests have had the kernel errors. Let me know if there is anything else I should be testing.

Not available in unraid 6.10

'modprobe i915 'not used

'/ boot / config / modprobe. D / i915. Conf' not created

###6.10-beta18

###- modprobe: do not blacklist gpu drivers by default

GVT-g not enabled in Kernel Module i915

Please make sure that your iGPU isn't enabled in the 'go' file with the command 'modprobe i915' and also make sure that the file '/boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf' doesn't exist and reboot your server! Enabling the module is handled by the Plugin!

If you want to see the usage of your iGPU on your Unraid Dasboard install the Intel-GPU-TOP plugin and afterwards the GPU Statistics plugin from the CA App.

2 hours ago, s1oz said:

Not available in unraid 6.10

As you know Unraid 6.10 is a test release not even in public beta state... :)

Anyways it is possible to run GVT-g in 6.10.0 beta 1-18 but it needs a little workaround, I'm currently in contact with Limetech about that...

From my side there is currently no support for 6.10.0 test releases and GVT-g.

Don't mind me.
I had hoped to quickly and effortlessly set up Intel iGPU support for a Windows 7 VM (Windows 10 is not an option).
The Unraid server is just a hobby anyway for which I don't want to spend so much time.
Sorry for all the hassle. You guys are doing a great job.

• Like 2
On 5/21/2021 at 11:43 PM, ich777 said:

Yes, this could come in handy...

Have you changed something in the XML itself before installing the GVT-g plugin, also is the machine type Q35?

I didn't change the XML file...yes, the machine type is Q35.... I followed exactly from the first page instructions :(

7 hours ago, qy2009 said:

I didn't change the XML file...yes, the machine type is Q35.... I followed exactly from the first page instructions :(

Please go to your VM page, switch to XML view on the VM edit page and click on apply, this will verify that you configuration of the VM is valid again.

Eventually something is messed up in the XML itself...

If that doesn't change anything try to delete the vGPU assignment for the VM from the plugin page and reassign it.

1 hour ago, STGMavrick said:

Damn, mine started erroring again. 11 days with no issues. After getting page errors and forcing a restart yesterday, I installed the latest release and set the option to 0 just in case. Woke up this morning to a froze vm and page errors.

Try to remove the vGPU assignment from the VM and reassign it.

@alturismo experiences also a similar problem...

On 5/26/2021 at 9:26 PM, ich777 said:

Please go to your VM page, switch to XML view on the VM edit page and click on apply, this will verify that you configuration of the VM is valid again.

Eventually something is messed up in the XML itself...

If that doesn't change anything try to delete the vGPU assignment for the VM from the plugin page and reassign it.

It seems no issues with the XML. after I clicked update from XML view. nothing happened. 

I tried removing it and reassign it. but still no go. Is there way I can find out exactly what went wrong? 

I tried with another machine on Unraid. same 6.9.2. but on the plugin page, it cannot find any mode? 

Maybe doesn't support intel 600?WX20210531-113758@2x.thumb.png.d4c145d7759614bfe7916f50bfea4be4.png

14 minutes ago, qy2009 said:

It seems no issues with the XML. after I clicked update from XML view. nothing happened. 

I tried removing it and reassign it. but still no go. Is there way I can find out exactly what went wrong?

Can you please post your Diagnostics?

That's not dependent on your iGPU, what Generation of processor do you have?

As I can see from your screenshot you have no modes available and selecting a empty mode from the drop down and assigning it to a VM does nothing.

56 minutes ago, ich777 said:

As I can see from your screenshot you have no modes available and selecting a empty mode from the drop down and assigning it to a VM does nothing.

Here it is. 

I have a few NIC cards, just in case there are some confusions :)

WX20210531-125653@2x.png

WX20210531-125719@2x.png

tower-diagnostics-20210531-1255.zip

59 minutes ago, ich777 said:

It is Gemini Lake, J4125. The second machine on Unraid without modes available.  

5 minutes ago, qy2009 said:

It is Gemini Lake, J4125. The second machine on Unraid without modes available.  

The problem with this low powered "Atom" chips is that they are not listed as compatible.

Only the Core-Series and the Xeon-Series that have a iGPU built into it are listed as compatible: Click

36 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The problem with this low powered "Atom" chips is that they are not listed as compatible.

Only the Core-Series and the Xeon-Series that have a iGPU built into it are listed as compatible: Click

thanks so much @ich777 !

what about my first machine? any hints from the diagnostics?  it has i5 6360U.

7 hours ago, qy2009 said:

what about my first machine? any hints from the diagnostics?  it has i5 6360U.

Sadly enough no, eventually create a issue on Github (the link above), that it's not working with your CPU.

I have a suspicion because it's a "U" processor.

I installed the GVT-G Plugin and created a windows VM, everything works fine.  Many thanks to the developer.

Is it possible to use a VGPU  also in a Linux VM ?  Is there any guidance on this ?

I made several attempts with an Ubuntu VM, without success.

3 minutes ago, kalli said:

Is it possible to use a VGPU  also in a Linux VM ?

This should be possible but I actually never tried it yet because my time is very limited.

You have to edit your xorg.conf file to use the Intel vGPU instead of the VNC output.

I think this should point you in the right direction: Click

18 minutes ago, Lolight said:

Wonder if there's anyone else out there to comment on the Windows 7 experience...

Can you give me a little more information? Does it work?

One user posted that it doesn't work but I've actually never tried it with Windows 7.

It is recommended to install the latest version of Windows to get GVT-g working.