[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

7 minutes ago, astronax said:

I am in 6.9.2 its a fresh installiert was never below 6.9.2

Alright i will try, catching up in 10 mins 🙂

OK its up again, the update button was not visible in the ca apps tab, so i choose the installiert after reboot AS suggested. The result is AS follows

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/intel-gvt-g/master/intel-gvt-g.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/intel-gvt-g/master/intel-gvt-g.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/intel-gvt-g/master/intel-gvt-g.plg ... done

+==============================================================================
| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/intel-gvt-g/gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz
+==============================================================================

Verifying package gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz.
Installing package gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Package gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz installed.

----Download is empty please contact the developer of this plugin if the-----
----------plugin has been already built against that Kernel version----------
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

Updating Support Links

Do i habe to remove anything before install?

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Try to remove the directory created for gvt-g on your boot drive in /boot/config/plugins/ and then install it again from the CA App.

ok will try but need to postphone it as i cant use bash on my mobile.

thank you very much for your support, i will keep you posted once i completed the step

3 minutes ago, astronax said:

ok will try but need to postphone it as i cant use bash on my mobile.

thank you very much for your support, i will keep you posted once i completed the step

I think a failed archive is somewhere left on your boot device that needs to be deleted by hand.

I think the best would be to do a:

rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/intel-gvt-g

20 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think a failed archive is somewhere left on your boot device that needs to be deleted by hand.

I think the best would be to do a:

rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/intel-gvt-g

ok given path has been deleted, unraid is prompting again with update or install plugin, so i did a restart again to avoid that.

and it seems to work now, i was missing the reboot after folder delete, i did not know this to be required :D

thanks again

enjoy your weekend

• Like 1

i am stuck again, sorry 😄

i have followed your step by step instructions.

the gpu is assigned, and driver are installed, the intel 630 is correctly recognized in the taskmanager

i have activated the rdp, which is working fine, now i am stuck on step 15. i guess this has to be done using the VNC from unraid, because via RDP it is not possible to change multi monitor settings.

so i rebooted the vm, and switched from rdp to VNC, and can see the vm booting up (windows uefi/boot circle) then it freezes for some secs, after 10sec later it comes back and rotates once more und fades to complete black screen, i am not able to login or do anything, while i can still use rdp to connect and login in this situation.

there is not a visible error in the vm logs i can see

what did i miss? my goal is to apply step 16 and use the physically connected monitor on hdmi to the intel 630. should'nt this work at this point?

best regards and many thanks in advance 🙂

Edited by astronax
1 hour ago, astronax said:

so i rebooted the vm, and switched from rdp to VNC, and can see the vm booting up (windows uefi/boot circle) then it freezes for some secs, after 10sec later it comes back and rotates once more und fades to complete black screen, i am not able to login or do anything, while i can still use rdp to connect and login in this situation.

Yes, because you switched the main monitor to the GVT-g screen or am I wrong? If yes, then this is just a normal behaviour.

1 hour ago, astronax said:

my goal is to apply step 16 and use the physically connected monitor on hdmi to the intel 630. should'nt this work at this point?

No, this wouldn't work, because you can't ouput anything from a virtual GPU (this is btw what GVT-g is vGPUs) and is meant to do HW acceleration in the VM for RDP, Parsec,...

What you can do is that you actually buy a DisplayLink Adapter, @mgutt linked to some cheap adapters on the German subforums if I'm not mistaken, and mirror the GVT-g screen on the DisplayLink Adapter that you then can connect to your Monitor.

Hope that makes sens to you.

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Yes, because you switched the main monitor to the GVT-g screen or am I wrong? If yes, then this is just a normal behaviour.

No, this wouldn't work, because you can't ouput anything from a virtual GPU (this is btw what GVT-g is vGPUs) and is meant to do HW acceleration in the VM for RDP, Parsec,...

What you can do is that you actually buy a DisplayLink Adapter, @mgutt linked to some cheap adapters on the German subforums if I'm not mistaken, and mirror the GVT-g screen on the DisplayLink Adapter that you then can connect to your Monitor.

Hope that makes sens to you.

yes it does, thats sad but ok so i need an extrnal usb link adapter or dedicated gpu

anyway i have a good use for the virtual gpu for another vm, so it was still worth it 🙂

thank you for your help

24 minutes ago, astronax said:

yes it does, thats sad but ok so i need an extrnal usb link adapter or dedicated gpu

These ardapters are really inexpensive from what I know and you also have usb ports, audio and a dedicated nic on them from what I know, at least the ones that @mgutt recommended.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

These ardapters are really inexpensive from what I know and you also have usb ports, audio and a dedicated nic on them from what I know, at least the ones that @mgutt recommended.

i have seen suggestions  from @mguttfrom 35€ and up, but those are very large, thin client looking, cases. smaller parts cost up to 80€ , so i think in my case its an easier solution to get an old dedicated gpu and use thr igpu for the 2nd vm

13 hours ago, Daniel Sippel said:

any news yet concerning using this in a macOS vm?

No because I don't really use OSX in any way but I know there are a few tutorials, Github repos out there that say you can do it but from what I know it is not that easy to accomplish (custom GPU Firmware files,...) also if you upgrade to a newer OSX version or update the system.

this is more something for the macos subforums here then here in the gvt-g section, technically, gvt-g is doing its job and prooviding a vgpu to a vm, working nice on win 10, win 11, ... linux prolly too, but now how to get this working into a macos this looks like a huge mess (like anything related to macos ;)), i gave it a try as i also tested gvt-g and never made it to work but honestly, its been more out of fun to see if it works and how it would run compared to the macos catalina with a nvidia gpu passthrough (also only out of fun).

So im pretty sure you will get better help now as its officially in 6.10rc1 with the macos gurus here, like in the macinabox discussion

Edited by alturismo
  • Thanks 1

After installing the Intel driver I had the strange issue that my mouse pointer / cursor shows a different position than it really is, but only through NoVNC. Through RDP, it works.

493954215_2021-08-1119_38_40.png.15afd84e2e4611ed268207449c10e971.png

The distance shrinks by moving to the left and raises by moving to the right. This means I'm able to click directly on the windows icon on the bottom left corner without having a wrong distance.

It wasn't easy to open youtube by this way ^^ But finally I found out that the vGPU does not accelerate video playback through NoVNC. Again it does if I use RDP.

EDIT: Ok, solved this as follows (I translated the following from German):

- right click on desktop > display

- click identify, to be sure which display is used for VNC, in my case the first one

- Multiple Displays > Show only on display 1 (it was set to "extend display")

Any idea to enable the vGPU to accelerate the browser and desktop while using NoVNC?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, mgutt said:

Any idea to enable the vGPU to accelerate the browser and desktop while using NoVNC?

No, at least with the Qemu VNC graphics adapter it's not possible because it's basically another graphics card that has no HW acceleration.

What I think will work or can work is that you actually install a VNC Server in the VM and connect trough this VNC Server to the VM, then the video should be accelerated.

But what's wrong with RDP? You have the benefit of audio playback.

Another alternative would be Parsec, @alturismo uses it like that.

9 minutes ago, ich777 said:

But what's wrong with RDP?

Nothing. It's only a question out of interest.

I thought about the situation when you have your display connected to an iGPU while playing a game which is accelerated by a dGPU. As this works on a PC I thought similar things could work with the vGPU and VNC. But I think this works only for specific Apps and not the Windows Desktop itself.

@ich777 please leave me out in the future while @mgutt is involved, we have really different point of views and im not interested in discussions anymore.

so yes, parsec is nice for any gpu which can hw encode, intel gvt-g, nvidia with encoder (sample, a GT1030 wont work), AMD i cant tell a sample ... pretty much any card which can hw encode.

also Teamviewer, Anydesk, Google Remote Desktop, etc etc working fine as working Desktops and benefit alot from gpu acc, Parsec is nice when you want the best fluid workspace and by using immersive mode also pretty neat desktop mode ;)

@mgutt may as extra for your german tutorial, sound on gvt-g, as there is by default no sound card, sample what i use here as extra in the xml ...

<sound model='ich9'>
      <alias name='sound0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x0'/>
    </sound>

also, after settings up RDP, sep VNC, parsec, ... you can wipe display from xml so you dont have "2 Displays" to manage in Windows, feel free to adjust like you wish 

image.png.9754fbc9b924d1fc42f6a8739064670b.png

slot may needs adjustment depending on configuration, feel free to adjust like you wish.

also may a note about virtio-net or virtio, yes, speed imrpves alot, may warn to check syslog, some NIC's will spam the log massive until 6.9 for sure, may fixed in 6.10 which i cant tell as since i switched from my 10G NIC to my simple onboard 1G one i can use virtio (local 10G) again without errors, again, feel free to adjust like you wish.

Edited by alturismo
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

have this plugin installed on my box, i did upgrade to 6.10 rc1 (so i know this COULD be the issue) but i'm getting a "GVT-g not enabled in Kernel Module i915" in the plugin config, but i've had the blacklist i915 in the modprobe conf file forever now.  

The processor is an 8th gen intel with the UHD 630.  Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, fireguy0306 said:

have this plugin installed on my box, i did upgrade to 6.10 rc1 (so i know this COULD be the issue) but i'm getting a "GVT-g not enabled in Kernel Module i915" in the plugin config, but i've had the blacklist i915 in the modprobe conf file forever now.  

Was it working on 6.9.2 or better speaking if you installed it now have you rebooted since you've installed it?

Do you have a physical monitor connected to your server?

Is the directory /dev/dri showing up on your system, open up a terminal and issue:

ls -la /dev/dri