[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

42 minutes ago, LZL said:

I am using V5_4 now, can I continue to use RDP if I use V5_2?

try it, but you are in the lucky position that your aperture size is fine, may i ask which mainboard you use ? ;)

and keep in mind, v2 should be fine till 1920x1200, but look that your RDP client is not exeeding this resolution, so when your desktop has a higher resolution edit the rdp client resolution manually ... to keep a buffer window open.

image.png.7bfeac3f5c27c42f2c7badc359ef997c.png

and watch your syslog, if page errors start, in the end this can result in a crash (unraid crash, hard reboot ...)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, alturismo said:

try it, but you are in the lucky position that your aperture size is fine, may i ask which mainboard you use ? ;)

and keep in mind, v2 should be fine till 1920x1200, but look that your RDP client is not exeeding this resolution, so when your desktop has a higher resolution edit the rdp client resolution manually ... to keep a buffer window open.

image.png.7bfeac3f5c27c42f2c7badc359ef997c.png

and watch your syslog, if page errors start, in the end this can result in a crash (unraid crash, hard reboot ...)

Thinks!

My motherboard model is ASRock Z370M pro4, and the CPU is i5-8400. Because my computer's maximum resolution is only 1600X900, RDP cannot use higher resolutions.

• Like 1

Hi,

first of all, im  new to unraid.

i try to assign my intel G630 igpu to a W10 vm.

i want to use parsec to access my vm.

but i get the following error:

image.png.1a784dc4df3a8fa86b3bd9531a2cfff6.png

image.thumb.png.d706f0eebd71171e80789a0bb525574d.png

does anyone else got this error?

can someone explain what i have to do, to fix this?

thanks

Edited by teuflor
19 minutes ago, teuflor said:

does anyone else got this error?

Yes, but that's only caused because you are trying to pass through your iGPU in the VM template.

Remove the iGPU from the VM template.

GVT-g creates vGPUs and does not pass through the entire iGPU.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Please help, thank you!
My host model: ASRock Z370M pro4, CPU: I5-8400, no discrete graphics card, only CPU core display UHD630, the plug-in intel GVT-g has been installed on Unraid, and i915-GVTg has been assigned to Windows10 VM and Synology VM Normal use. At present, BigsSur has been installed with the latest version of Macinabox, and i915-GVTg has been allocated to BigsSur. In the MAC VM, the graphics card of "intel HD Graphics CFL CRB" can be seen, but the display memory is empty and cannot be used normally. deal with? Which master has used and set up successfully?

2 hours ago, LZL said:

Macinabox, and i915-GVTg has been allocated to BigsSur. In the MAC VM, the graphics card of "intel HD Graphics CFL CRB" can be seen, but the display memory is empty and cannot be used normally. deal with? Which master has used and set up successfully?

The main issue is that GVT-g isn‘t officially supported on OSX.

I know that there are a few modifications and tutorials out there that maybe can get it to work but the last time that I‘ve tried it I couldn’t get it to work but I also have to point out that I‘m not really a OSX guy.

Hi, I've been using this plugin and it works great except for one very annoying issue. After a couple of days of my Windows 10 VM being idle, I am unable to connect to it via RDP or VNC, or even ping it. It has not gone to sleep or anything like that - I have disabled all power management, hibernation etc. If I try to stop the VM in Unraid, the indicator spins and the status changes to "stopping" but it never stops. Force stop does the same. If I edit the VM, the Unraid UI for the VM manager does not load. If I go to the VMs page in Unraid, the page does not finish loading - the page is blank except for the Unraid banner and navigation. Everything else on the server continues to work - shares, Docker containers etc. If I attempt to shutdown the server (via Unraid GUI, or SSH) it never shuts down - presumably because it is waiting for the VM manager which has presumably hung. All I can do is hit the physical reset button on the chassis to (ungracefully) reboot the server. After doing this, VMs are accessible again and the Windows 10 VM can be conneted to for another couple of days. Any ideas please?

28 minutes ago, hosser said:

Any ideas please?

also looking like your gpu vram is filled up and will kill the libvirt engine and in the end kill your server (hard reboot).

most likely due lack of aperture size and using RDP (specially when the client has a higher resolution then 1920 1080)

you can read up in this thread about aperture size, i recommend using remote apps like VNC (TightVNC as sample also using hw acc), chrome remote dektop (almost like RDP) or parsec (most fluid experience) which are not producing these results here when we stay in the resolution range which is recommended or given by the vgpu !!! in my case v4 with 1920x1080.

i can reproduce this issue pretty quick using RDP on my Desktop without modifying the settings and it ll use a higher resolution then (2560 1080) and you will pretty quick see syslog errors about guest page write erros ... summing up in seconds to fill the syslog, when im fast enough to quit the VM i can reboot normally, but when im a few seconds to late ... only hard reboot is left ...

may that helps a little ...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, alturismo said:

may that helps a little ...

Ah, thank you for that explanation. I'm using the Mac RDP application and it seems it was using an "optimised for this display" resolution which I am assuming is the display's native resolution - which is close to 4K I think! I've now forced 1080p in the app and unticked the option to "optimise for retina display". I've just hard rebooted the server - I will now give it a few days of testing and report back!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, hosser said:

"optimised for this display" resolution which I am assuming is the display's native resolution - which is close to 4K

thats definately a deal breaker ... ;)

if you really whish to stay on RDP, really go ahead and set the resolution manually to max 1920 1080 and even reduce quality settings to may get out of this behaviour ... i still only can recommend using Alternatives like described above, depending on the scenario the VM is used for ... and im a absolut RDP Fan (writing from remote guacamole RDP dekstop ;)) so its really sad for me too ...

11 minutes ago, alturismo said:

thats definately a deal breaker ... ;)

if you really whish to stay on RDP, really go ahead and set the resolution manually to max 1920 1080 and even reduce quality settings to may get out of this behaviour ... i still only can recommend using Alternatives like described above, depending on the scenario the VM is used for ... and im a absolut RDP Fan (writing from remote guacamole RDP dekstop ;)) so its really sad for me too ...

I've set the resolution to 1600x1000@32bpp, if I still have the same problem I'll look into alternatives. Thanks again.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:02 AM, ich777 said:

The main issue is that GVT-g isn‘t officially supported on OSX.

I know that there are a few modifications and tutorials out there that maybe can get it to work but the last time that I‘ve tried it I couldn’t get it to work but I also have to point out that I‘m not really a OSX guy.

Without the support of the graphics card, the MACOS VM is very slow to operate, and it is impossible to use it. I hope there will be a better solution. If there is such convenient information, please inform everyone , thank you!

On 3/15/2022 at 7:48 PM, hosser said:

I've set the resolution to 1600x1000@32bpp, if I still have the same problem I'll look into alternatives. Thanks again.

I have also encountered the same problem, I increased my video memory to 1G, and there will still be problems when using RDP, so I think it is not a problem of too small video memory, it should be a bug, or a compatibility problem, this estimate is very Difficult to solve, I have given up using GVT-g on WIN10 VM.

36 minutes ago, Vista2003 said:

Intel Core i5 9400

Yes, but you iGPU isn't enabled from what I see in your Diagnostics file, the only graphics device that I see in your Diagnostics is your ASPEED onboard grapics device.

Some motherboards need a connected Display or a HDMI Dummy plug connected to the iGPU in order to activate it, even if you set it to the Primary graphics output in the BIOS like on my motherboard it's the case, otherwise the iGPU won't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a W10 VM that I converted from VMWARE.
In this VM, the Intel i-gpu is running as a second screen next to VNC.
I would like to take VNC out completely so that I only have one screen in the VM. I would like to control it remotely with parsec. How do I have to do that? Is that possible at all?

Screen 1: VNC

Screen 2: igpu

image.png.b6714e2143b7525c4519a1ef2b5ce126.png image.png.9ec4bc5c1cd64e0845adf736a5e4db47.png

13 minutes ago, teuflor said:

How do I have to do that? Is that possible at all?

Have you read the second post:

It's not entirely what you've requested but it will work too, you can also disable the VNC screen in the Windows Device Manager or you edit the XML for the VM and remove the VNC part from there.

Before doing any of this, make sure that GVT-g is working and you can somehow remote into the VM.

• Like 1

While I haven't used this plugin (my gvt-g experiments were with a custom kernel before this became a plugin) I have something to add regarding aperture size issues.

When I was testing things out, I paid a guy in win-raid forums to build me a custom motherboard bios that exposed the aperture size. Most boards bioses have a lot of common code so it's usually just a lazy UI choice what they do and do not show. That allowed me to get access to the higher resolution/vram modes. In theory I could have probably done the bios mod myself, but I had none of the tools or familiarity with them so it definitely would have taken me awhile even with the guides on win-raid. So I just donated to one of the modders on there. I believe it might also be possible to manually tweak these hidden options through the efi shell as well but I didn't investigate that much.

It's definitely true that most bioses lack the aperture adjustment setting by default though and motherboard manuals available online often don't even have enough detail to determine this without buying the board.

My board was a ASUS z370 prime a ii, but again...it does not have aperture adjustment by default, only with a modded bios. I lost interest in GVT-g when Intel abandoned it personally.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, scorcho99 said:

It's definitely true that most bioses lack the aperture adjustment setting by default though and motherboard manuals available online often don't even have enough detail to determine this without buying the board.

I have a bit of experience with BIOS modding and I'm also a member of the win-raid forums, can you point me to a thread over there?

On 4/11/2022 at 3:45 PM, ich777 said:

I have a bit of experience with BIOS modding and I'm also a member of the win-raid forums, can you point me to a thread over there?

I'm not really an active user there, and it seems I've forgotten my login! (It also seems the forum was going to shutdown but might now migrate instead) Anyway, there wasn't really a thread but I recall there being a request mods forum and there were at least 4-5 guys (probably more) that just did custom bios mods in return for donations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

New to unraid.  Enjoying it so far, although challenging at times.  This is one of those...

Have an Intel Xeon E2146G on supermicro motherboard.  MB has IPMI.  Have checked that onboard graphics have been enabled.  Trying to get rsync going via Spaceinvader's guides, but no luck with accessing unraid gui so far

Have installed Intel GVT-g but receiving "GVT-g not supported" even though it seems that my CPU is supported.  As per plugin guidance, have attached diagnostic logs

Any assistance greatly appreciate

Cheers  

Screenshot 2022-04-22 020323.png

dimiserver-diagnostics-20220422-0134.zip