[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, harrison.guo said:

When I install the graphics card driver, it prompts 'No drivers that can be installed on the current device are found, error code 8', the log is in the attachment

But in the above the UHD 630 is shown in the Device Manager? Do you try to install another driver over the existing one?

Are you using Windows 10 or 11? Looks like 10 or am I wrong?

I can't open the Diagnostics from above...

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

But in the above the UHD 630 is shown in the Device Manager? Do you try to install another driver over the existing one?

Are you using Windows 10 or 11? Looks like 10 or am I wrong?

I can't open the Diagnostics from above...

win10ltsc,I'm not sure if I'm using the lite version of the system. After I installed it using the official image, it was successful. The task manager has uhd630

but the video encode & decode didn't work, only 3D was occupied, whether I used the vnc window or RDP.

image.thumb.png.c96f1ac9df8f40ad85b886e4d5a8a4a6.png

, parsec still does not work properly,

image.thumb.png.04e7783eab448cfc41c986b132427f16.png

but this is also good news, at least half of the success, as long as you can find a way to solve the encoding problem. I have hevc extension installed

23 minutes ago, harrison.guo said:

as long as you can find a way to solve the encoding problem. I have hevc extension installed

You are doing this with a YouTube video from what I see… Can you try to install VNC player and try it there with a file?

Encode and Decode should work fine too since 3D is working for you, I think the main issue on your system is that it deosn‘t make use of it but that‘s out of my control…

• 2 weeks later...

Is it also possible to use Intel GVT-g with linux?

I had no success. I would love to use it with pop os 22.04.

Some information about my system

Unraid 6.10.3
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled
Cache: 256 KiB, 1 MB, 8 MB
Memory: 64 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 64 GiB)
Kernel: Linux 5.15.46-Unraid x86_64

My Unraid experience is still pretty new - only been using it for about 6 months and very impressed with all of the community-supported functionality. Thanks for creating this GVT-g plugin so I can try to get a VM set up for my 9-year-old to play some Windows games on.

I've got the plugin installed, but I'm seeing this error message: "GVT-g not enabled in Kernel Module i915".  It gives some instructions to modify the file /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf.  Before I do that, I want to try to understand what implications that might have. I've already got a passthru to a Docker container (Emby) so it can use the iGPU for transcoding. Is there a chance this change to the i915.conf file could "break" that Docker passthru?  Also, my MoBo is an ASRockRack W480D4U, which has a BMC for management. Does that BMC complicate things for the iGPU passthru?  I don't have a dedicated GPU in the server - it has an i7-10700K processor, 32GB RAM.  Greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks! 

48 minutes ago, StatMatt said:

Before I do that, I want to try to understand what implications that might have.

Since you‘ve posted no diagnostics I can‘t tell on what Unraid version are you but I think that you are on anything greater than 6.9.0

If you are on 6.10.x you have to do that because the module would be loaded early in the boot process and I have no chance of reloading it with the GVT-g parameters so that everything will be working correctly.

You will notice no change at all except for that that GVT-g will work afterwords.

Have you also installed the Intel GPU TOP plugin? Diagnostics would help a lot…

9 minutes ago, StatMatt said:

attached.  To answer your questions, I'm on 6.10.3, and yes I also have your TOP plugin for Intel GPUs.

If you have both installed (even if you have Intel GPU TOP alone installed) you can blacklist the iGPU and the plugin handles the activation.

So no difference there…

Okay, that's embarrassing - I just hadn't rebooted the server since installing the plugin. I rebooted the server and it seems the plugin is working now.  I don't recall seeing in the install instructions that a reboot was necessary - sorry if I overlooked that.

BUT, I do have one more question. I've not yet found a good resource that explains KVM, so I don't fully understand the different types of "machine"s. I've used the default, which is the i440fx-6.2, but I notice in the documentation it specifically refers to Q35 machine. Do I need to change the machine to Q35, or will it work with the i440fx?

Edited by StatMatt
41 minutes ago, StatMatt said:

Okay, that's embarrassing - I just hadn't rebooted the server since installing the plugin. I rebooted the server and it seems the plugin is working now.  I don't recall seeing in the install instructions that a reboot was necessary - sorry if I overlooked that.

Yes, the plugin will blacklist the module for you automatically if you don't have it already blacklisted on installation and after a reboot everything should be fine, didn't notice that you don't rebooted already... ;)

42 minutes ago, StatMatt said:

BUT, I do have one more question. I've not yet found a good resource that explains KVM, so I don't fully understand the different types of "machine"s. I've used the default, which is the i440fx-6.2, but I notice in the documentation it specifically refers to Q35 machine. Do I need to change the machine to Q35, or will it work with the i440fx?

i440fx is basically a pretty "old" emulated machine type where Q35 is the modern one, AFAIK GVT-g won't work on i440fx machines, keep in mind changing from i440fx to Q35 may also involve reactivating Windows because you are basically changing the "motherboard".

4 hours ago, StatMatt said:

Thanks for creating this GVT-g plugin so I can try to get a VM set up for my 9-year-old to play some Windows games on.

I've noticed that sentence above, what games do you want to run on it? Please keep in mind that if you are exceeding the pre allocated VRAM that your entire VM manager can crash and this will most likely cause if you try to reboot your server in a hard reset, just to keep that in mind.

I recommend GVT-g only if you know what you are doing and for light Office work or casual browsing.

There is nothing I can do about that because most motherboard manufacturers also haven't implemented the VRAM allocation in the BIOS properly (see second recommended post on top of this thread).

Very helpful, thanks. I had no idea about the machine type so I just went with the default.  I'll try to change to Q35 - I haven't activated Windows on it yet, so hopefully no major issues.

I was planning to use this VM for my son to have his own "sandbox" machine to mess around with Algodoo (physics simulator) and Minecraft.  Figured a VM would be easier for me to manage than bare metal and he was going to be RDP-ing to it from an iPad or Chromebook anyway.  In truth, I'm not really sure how much VRAM the board is allocating - I'll have to look into that.  I wouldn't think either of those titles are particularly demanding so I was hoping the iGPU can handle it, but maybe I should go for a different strategy...?

Again, thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, StatMatt said:

going to be RDP-ing to it from an iPad or Chromebook anyway.

may as hint ahead, rather use parsec or chrome remote desktop feature then.

RDP will likely crash the system (sadly) due the vram issue's with consumer hardware, there are some explenations in this thread already, also how to check your allocated vram.

1 hour ago, StatMatt said:

but maybe I should go for a different strategy...?

a cheap Nvidia GT1050 up will be a better choice due its own dedicated vram

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1