[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

52 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Hopefully in a later kernel this probe wont be required.

ok. i have do. 

1st i have installed the gvt-g app then

i have insert the needed part (i915.force_probe=4c8b) in the file /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and remove the i915.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ and make a reboot.

is this right ?

After that the hw transcoding in plex worked. but the problem with the black screen on the local monitor exists. also i found out that in the app gvt.g no mode selectable is. nothing is in the setting of this app to select. only an empty row.

and a new file  /etc/modprobe.d/i915.cfg exists. with content " blacklist i915"..????

23 minutes ago, cracyfloyd said:

After that the hw transcoding in plex worked.

Nice.

but the problem with the black screen on the local monitor exists.

I don't completely understand?

What is the problem exactly? Do you boot in GUI mode?

nothing is in the setting of this app to select. only an empty row.

This may be because you CPU is too new and GVT-g won't work but that is only just a guess.

Have you rebooted after you've installed the GVT-g plugin?

I will add an option shortly to the GVT-g plugin to select the GuC/HuC mode.

and a new file  /etc/modprobe.d/i915.cfg exists. with content " blacklist i915"..????

That's pretty normal, the Intel-GPU-TOP module enables the module even if the file is there, nothing to worry about (this file exists to blacklist the module on boot but the plugin is also installed on boot and enables it).

May I ask what do you want to do with the GVT-g plugin?

@ich777

Not sure if gvt will work for Rocket Lake, as the following wont add the force_probe or should the syslinux take care of that?

/sbin/modprobe i915 enable_gvt=1 

@cracyfloyd

can you run modprobe -c | grep 4c8b

Do you have any other gpus install and have you set BIOS to use internal gpu?

Edited by SimonF
7 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Not sure if gvt will work for Rocket Lake, as the following wont add the force_probe or should the syslinux take care of that?

The syslinux actually takes care of that that the force_probe is applied since otherwise the transcoding in Containers won't work because he is now using the syslinux method and Intel-GPU-TOP and if he uses it like in this case with Intel-GVT-g enable_gvt=1 will be stacked onto the force_probe from syslinux so both things should be enabled.

Also GVT-g is enabled because he has got not the error page when going to the plugin page itself.

If the plugin detects that GVT-g within the module is not enabled it would display the error page.

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: The force_probe is applied because he said that transcoding in Containers is working.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, SimonF said:

@ich777

/sbin/modprobe i915 enable_gvt=1 

its possible. no errors

23 minutes ago, SimonF said:

@cracyfloyd

can you run modprobe -c | grep 4c8b

Do you have any other gpus install and have you set BIOS to use internal gpu?

result of modprobe -c | grep 4c8b is "options i915 force_probe=4c8b"

i use only the internal gpu. no others are installed. yes i have enabled in the bios that the system should use the internal.

37 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Nice.

I don't completely understand?

What is the problem exactly? Do you boot in GUI mode?

This may be because you CPU is too new and GVT-g won't work but that is only just a guess.

Have you rebooted after you've installed the GVT-g plugin?

I will add an option shortly to the GVT-g plugin to select the GuC/HuC mode.

That's pretty normal, the Intel-GPU-TOP module enables the module even if the file is there, nothing to worry about (this file exists to blacklist the module on boot but the plugin is also installed on boot and enables it).

May I ask what do you want to do with the GVT-g plugin?

yes i boot in gui mode, and first you see the boot prompt and you see some boot information. and after some the hdmi port goes out. no signal on the monitor.

the gvt-g plugin its not so important for me but in the future i like to install a win10 vm that i can use for important thinks like banking.

3 minutes ago, cracyfloyd said:

yes i boot in gui mode, and first you see the boot prompt and you see some boot information. and after some the hdmi port goes out. no signal on the monitor.

Have you installed any other plugin like the Nvidia Driver plugin?

4 minutes ago, cracyfloyd said:

the gvt-g plugin its not so important for me but in the future i like to install a win10 vm that i can use for important thinks like banking.

Eventually in the next Unraid release everything will be working with a newer Kernel.

25 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you installed any other plugin like the Nvidia Driver plugin?

Eventually in the next Unraid release everything will be working with a newer Kernel.

no other grafik plugins. clean system. only intel tools/apps

Edited by cracyfloyd
On 5/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, STGMavrick said:

Will do!

On 5/18/2021 at 7:30 PM, gilladur said:

I know, just tried it to be sure to test everything.
Thank you for looking into my issue 🙂

GuC/HuC is now implemented in the Plugin.

Please update the plugin go to the "Guide" page in the plugin and select at the bottom where it says GuC/HuC in the "Troubleshooting" section select "0" from the drop-down to disable it and click on "Change".

To apply it simply reboot.

39 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please update the plugin go to the "Guide" page in the plugin and select at the bottom where it says GuC/HuC in the "Troubleshooting" section select "0" from the drop-down to disable it and click on "Change".

do you mean the NTEL-GVT-G plugin? what you mean with the guide page. where can i find?

12 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Hi ich777, thank you for the update. Unfortunately it's not solving the issue at least for me.

Every mode is preventing the VM from starting if simply rebooted.

If I shut down the system, I'm able start again with no issue - regardless which GuC/HuC mode I'm using..

6 minutes ago, gilladur said:

Every mode is preventing the VM from starting if simply rebooted.

The reboot is working with VMs that don't have GVT-g installed?

Do you run the machine with OVMF, from what I've read, you can also try it with SeaBIOS eventually this will solve the problem, not much about that specific issue out there.

3 hours ago, cracyfloyd said:

ok. i have do. 

1st i have installed the gvt-g app then

i have insert the needed part (i915.force_probe=4c8b) in the file /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and remove the i915.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ and make a reboot.

is this right ?

After that the hw transcoding in plex worked.

What about 4k HDR to SDR transcoding?? 

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

The reboot is working with VMs that don't have GVT-g installed?

Do you run the machine with OVMF, from what I've read, you can also try it with SeaBIOS eventually this will solve the problem, not much about that specific issue out there.

I'm using OVMF but I'll try SeaBIOS too check.

As far as I remember, before I used GVT-g I didn't had the issue.

I could live with this restriction not to use reboot. 🙂

Let me try SeaBIOS again and I'll report back if this will be improve the issue.

• Like 1
On 5/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, ich777 said:

Exactly.

This won't work by now, please don't try it any further, this is a dead end for now.

I will report back if I got some news for you.

Hi there,

any news yet concerning passthrough to a macOS VM? Or anything I could do to help/test?

Edited by Daniel Sippel
3 minutes ago, Daniel Sippel said:

Hi there, any news yet? Or anything I could do to help/test?

No, since Qemu needs to be compiled specificly to support that feature and it isn't.

We have to wait until it is implemented into Unraid.

3 hours ago, gilladur said:

I'm using OVMF but I'll try SeaBIOS too check.

As far as I remember, before I used GVT-g I didn't had the issue.

I could live with this restriction not to use reboot. 🙂

Let me try SeaBIOS again and I'll report back if this will be improve the issue.

Ok, Seabios seems to be working better perfectly so far.

After several reboots to test, I could connect to the VM after every reboot. 🙂

Performance seems also to be better. Youtube runs smoother and the hole systems feels snappier.

Also didn't need to change the GuC/HuC settings.

Perfect - Thank you again!

Edited by gilladur
  • Like 1