[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

4 hours ago, qy2009 said:

@ich777I followed the steps

Is it possible that you have bound your iGPU to VFIO, at least the PCI device ID:

Binding...
Successfully bound the device 8086:1539 at 0000:02:00.0 to vfio-pci

Since your iGPU has the PCI device ID:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Iris Graphics 540 [8086:1926] (rev 0a)
	DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Iris Graphics 540 [8086:2212]

What have you done exactly? Are there any VM's started?

From the configuration I see that you've assigned every VM in your system a vGPU, please note that for example my i5 10600 can only run two vGPUs in mode 8 and one in mode 4.

EDIT: May I ask why the "NAS" VM did need a vGPU?

9 hours ago, ich777 said:

Is it possible that you have bound your iGPU to VFIO, at least the PCI device ID:

Binding...
Successfully bound the device 8086:1539 at 0000:02:00.0 to vfio-pci

Since your iGPU has the PCI device ID:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Iris Graphics 540 [8086:1926] (rev 0a)
	DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Iris Graphics 540 [8086:2212]

What have you done exactly? Are there any VM's started?

From the configuration I see that you've assigned every VM in your system a vGPU, please note that for example my i5 10600 can only run two vGPUs in mode 8 and one in mode 4.

EDIT: May I ask why the "NAS" VM did need a vGPU?

That is my NIC card. I have 6 in total. 

I have also checked the go file, nothing there. 

But I did install these plugins together:

GPU Statistics + Intel GPU TOP + Intel GVT-g. 

Sorry I didn't know I cannot add that many :) I have removed 3 of them, and only added 1 for my win10. However, still the same result.

All the VMs were powered off when I made the changes inside GVT-g settings. 

and when I tried to make the change inside VM settings, the VM itself was powered off as well.

I was just thinking it could be good for the Plex for my "NAS" :)

thanks!

WX20210521-073927@2x.png

WX20210521-072810@2x.png

Edited by qy2009
15 hours ago, qy2009 said:

I was just thinking it could be good for the Plex for my "NAS" :)

Yes, this could come in handy...

15 hours ago, qy2009 said:

But I did install these plugins together

Have you changed something in the XML itself before installing the GVT-g plugin, also is the machine type Q35?

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

From what I know Iris Xe is not supported at the time but that doesn't mean that it will be never supported.

I recommend creating an issue on the GVT-g Github if Iris Xe will be ‎曾经支持过‎. :) 

Thank U :)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, JoergHH said:

Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this?

Try it with a new installation for testing reasons.

Also I think @alturismo wrote once a guid how to change that.

EDIT: please also make sure that you've enabled VD-d and VT-x

I also got that problem once on a VM try also to select a different graphics mode from GVT-g and with OVMF.

Eventually try to set GuC/HuC on the GUIDE page to 0 or 1 and reboot.

17 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Also I think @alturismo wrote once a guid how to change that.

Do you have a link for that?

EDIT: please also make sure that you've enabled VD-d and VT-x

Both are enabled.

I also got that problem once on a VM try also to select a different graphics mode from GVT-g and with OVMF.

Changed to another GVT-g mode (downsize with less GPU memory) and now got error code 12.

Edited by JoergHH

Thanks for writing this guide, I've followed the steps and I can see the iGPU in my windows VM. I've also enabled it to show the display 2 only and so nothing shows on my VNC but when I use RDP and try to play a youtube video to test I see it's still utilizing all my CPU and not the iGPU.

I also notice a third display driver whenever I login to RDP. 

image.png.f0410833dd4cd95cff608298fb050535.png

image.png.16c2e0450f5ec1fccea828340d179d37.png

Edited by bobokun
43 minutes ago, bobokun said:

I also notice a third display driver whenever I login to RDP. 

Yes the third one is actually for the RDP connection... :)

But you also have load on the iGPU from what I see or am I wrong here?

What file did you play? 4K? Please remember RDP needs to convert your media that is played in your VM...

I recommend trying Parsec for a better experience.

The question is also, does the load on the CPU come directly from the Youtube playback or does Windows it's Windows things in the background (Malware Executable, Updates,...)?

The Load on my CPU spikes to 100% when I am playing a 4k Youtube video and when I stop then the CPU utilization goes back down. Video decode is constant at 0% on the iGPU. I'm not sure where the 3D utilization is coming from but it doesn't seem to be related to the Youtube video since I see it fluctuate even when I'm not playing a video.

I tried to use parsec and when I tried to play a 4k video on youtube, I get a connection error and can't seem to connect back to the VM through parsec/VNC/RDP. Seems like it crashes the VM. I coudln't even kill the process in htop.

image.thumb.png.7565d061001297d09e796675f038597b.png

I couldn't access the VM page on Unraid and when I went to go into VM settings to turn off the VM using VM Manager and turn it back on I still see it stuck. I think I have to force shutdown my Unraid server. In the logs I see a bunch of kernel errors as well.

image.png.68926b72127ef3c777c957641031bb19.png

39 minutes ago, bobokun said:

I tried to use parsec and when I tried to play a 4k video on youtube, I get a connection error and can't seem to connect back to the VM through parsec/VNC/RDP. Seems like it crashes the VM. I coudln't even kill the process in htop.

Can you please post your Diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> Download -> drop the downloaded zip file here in the text box), I even don't know what CPU that you have nor do I know which type of machine that you installed, you can also try SeaBIOS, that completely depends on the system that you have what works best for you.

Have you even tried something like a 1080p file on Youtube or open up a 3D application in the VM?

Sure, please see attached for the diagnostics.

I've tried opening a 1080p file and 4k file in a media player inside the VM and it seems to be utilizing the CPU more than the igPU. But I do see some video decode and video processing utilization, about 20-40%

Edited by bobokun
1 hour ago, bobokun said:

But I do see some video decode and video processing utilization, about 20-40%

Seems like something weird is going on here, can you eventually try to setup a test VM with SeaBIOS and Machine Q35 for testing?

What type of GVT-g mode did you set? eventually try mode 8 if you have selected mode 4.

57 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Seems like something weird is going on here, can you eventually try to setup a test VM with SeaBIOS and Machine Q35 for testing?

What type of GVT-g mode did you set? eventually try mode 8 if you have selected mode 4.

I was using mode 8, should I try mode 4?

I'll set up a seaBIOS test VM and see if it makes any difference.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bobokun said:

I was using mode 8, should I try mode 4?

I'll set up a seaBIOS test VM and see if it makes any difference.

1st try mode 4 in case you use a resolution higher then 1024x768 in the gvtg vm, seabios is here more safer then ovmf when i started to play with gvtg, but menawhile there is no difference (at least here), q35 as mshine type is a must, no i4400