[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

19 minutes ago, Seduron said:

The  "Intel GPU-TOP" Plugin is installed.
i'v added the iGPU  in Handbrake as a "Device"  like this   "/dev/dri"

Please try to do two device mappings in the Handbrake and remove the old one template:

/dev/dri/card1:/dev/dri/card0

/dev/dri/renderD129:/dev/dri/renderD128

Hello, I would like to ask whether this plug-in supports the 11th Gen Intel® Core™ processor family (Formerly Known as Rocket Lake)? Or does it need to wait? I read on Intel’s official website that it supports GVT-G Intel® Graphics Virtualization Technology -g (GVT-g), because I tried to install the i915 SR-IOV plugin and it didn't work.....

1 hour ago, L1N said:

Hello, I would like to ask whether this plug-in supports the 11th Gen Intel® Core™ processor family (Formerly Known as Rocket Lake)? Or does it need to wait?

gvt-g is not supported on 11th gen and up, see page 1, why, may ask intel ... sorry but no need to wait for gvt-g.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, alturismo said:

第 11 代及更高版本不支持 gvt-g,请参阅第 1 页,为什么,可能会询问英特尔...抱歉,但无需等待 gvt-g。

Yes, I know, but my I5-11400 does only support GVT-G because it is Rocket Lake, and the plug-in does not support 11th Gen. I express my regret, anyway, thank you for your reply

Snipaste_2023-03-29_14-12-38.png

Snipaste_2023-03-29_14-12-24.png

24 minutes ago, L1N said:

Yes, I know, but my I5-11400 does only support GVT-G because it is Rocket Lake, and the plug-in does not support 11th Gen. I express my regret, anyway, thank you for your reply

Snipaste_2023-03-29_14-12-38.png

Snipaste_2023-03-29_14-12-24.png

Intel seems to have conflicting information. So looks like Rocket Lake is out in the cold with no support for Virtualization 

image.thumb.png.0fb2383edcf0e8e2144672992a3bc02c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, L1N said:

You can always install the plugin and see if it displays anything to choose or it simply tells you that your CPU isn't supported.

Anyways, GVT-g is only supported up to 10th Gen Intel CPUs.

The main issue with this is that Intel uses most of the times different Generations numbers for the iGPUs and I think this causes, even internally at Intel, these conflicting information.

5 hours ago, ApfelBirneKreis said:

您好,我有一个仅支持 GVT-g 的 11400,因为它是一个 Rocket Lake 芯片!不支持 SR-IOV!请调整插件,使其至少尝试将 GVT-g 与 11gen 处理器一起使用!!我们目前没有机会进行虚拟化!

You have the same as me, but unfortunately, there is no way at present

I have a vm that won't boot.  I played around at one time with passing through the igpu with Igvt.  I am getting this error

device not found: mediated device

I have been looking around but either overlooked the fix or have not found it yet.  I don't want to pass through the igpu would like to get the vm to boot without have to rebuild it.

I really appreciate any help you can provide

5 hours ago, hunter69 said:

get the vm to boot without have to rebuild it.

assuming the VM did work before, where is this error coming ?

1/ gvt-g settings, did you remove the vgpu ? (before uninstalling the plugin)

2/ did you make a backup of your vdisk ?

3/ what have you done exactly and when did it stop working

you could remove the vgpu manually from the VM xml (depending now what you have all done ...)

in the buttom part of the VM (xml view), removing this block

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='mdev' managed='no' model='vfio-pci' display='off'>
      <source>
        <address uuid='eb1e3090-be71-474e-bce3-a2eda0b5e2c3'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

or just create a new VM with the same base settings by just pointing to the existing (or backked up) vdisk

this would start the VM without gvt-g like it was never there ;)

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Daigurren69 said:

This has been working for months and months and all of a sudden says that my 10400 is not supported?

and you didnt do any bindings in VFiO "all of a suddon" ?

when i look into your vfio bind i see

BIND=0000:00:02.0|8086:9bc8

which may is your iGPU ... and when you do vfio bind your host cant see the iGPU anymore ... all of a suddon ;)

just in case you tried something like passthrough the igpu to a VM instead using gvt-g ...

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Daigurren69 said:

So I did bind it and then unbind it to try and see if it would show up. Even when I unbind it it's still like that.    

ok, so my assumption where correct.

before you look further in gvt-g you have to make sure your igpu is visible in unraid

tools - system devices

image.thumb.png.3b08cd4c75d9c8f9750f9544486e0eb1.png

then you can look further in gvt-g, 1st approach now would be, after vfio is backported (no vfio binds, reboot and igpu back in devices) you uninstall gvt-g, reboot, install gvt-g, reboot, reassign the vgpu to your VM.

you can also look in your VM settings (xml view buttom part) about the upper posted entry (thats the vgpu, just uuid is different as its unique), then you know its included again.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

If this plugin doesn't work for alder lake and raptor lake, is there an alternative method? Maybe using something with SR IOV? Is it dependent on the motherboard supporting it? If it is, I guess mine doesn't have it because I have looked high and low in the bios. I would love to be able to do hardware transcoding for my containers and my home assistant vm without trying to find a good deal on a used Nvidia card. This 13700k is a beast and I would love to be able to use it to it's fullest potential.

4 minutes ago, druzzifruit said:

If this plugin doesn't work for alder lake and raptor lake, is there an alternative method?

Please read the first recommended post on top of this thread.

4 minutes ago, druzzifruit said:

Is it dependent on the motherboard supporting it?

Yes and no, answer is complicated, but if you are using something newer than Intel 10th gen this plugin won't do anything for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 2:54 AM, ich777 said:

You can always install the plugin and see if it displays anything to choose or it simply tells you that your CPU isn't supported.

Anyways, GVT-g is only supported up to 10th Gen Intel CPUs.

The main issue with this is that Intel uses most of the times different Generations numbers for the iGPUs and I think this causes, even internally at Intel, these conflicting information.

So, I just purchased a system with an Intel Xeon W-1370P processor, which has a P750 iGPU (Rocket Lake), and is also listed as an 11th gen supporting GVT-g, as shown in the picture earlier in the thread.

I tried installing the plug-in, and it doesn't say it's not supported, but it's not picking up the i915.conf, which I added the 'blacklist i915' line. SR-IOV flatly tells me not supported. 

Is there anything else I could try? I just purchased this system after having issues with my other build constantly freezing from the i915 module, shown in the thread below, and not being able to resolve it, and just want to be able to transcode plex and have the igpu for my VM. 

Screenshot 2023-05-13 12.20.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-13 12.30.34 PM.png

3 hours ago, NullZeroNobody said:

Is there anything else I could try?

Please read the first recommended post on top of this thread.

3 hours ago, NullZeroNobody said:

SR-IOV flatly tells me not supported.

There are some 11th gen CPUs out there which doesn't support GVT-g nor SR-IOV.