Help me finish my very 1st build? CPU/GPU/MOBO

Ok so I’m VERY new to unRAID. My current setup is a 12 TB synology DS412+ (yes I know, super old) as my storage and an M1 Mac Mini for compute. I want to do a complete 360 - sell the Mac Mini and do an unRAID build. Right now my current setup is mostly used as a Plex server and Homebridge with tons of transcoding (4+ streams usually). That being said…

1st can you help validate my approach? I’m taking this approach to not spend too much money at one time.  Initially I’m building to replace my Plex and Homebridge server… my plan is to run Plex  and Homebridge containers respectively… over time I’d like to upgrade so I can take advantage of VM’s (Linux and windows 10) and even more simultaneous containers and maybe even gaming some time down the road with future CPU/GPU upgrades. 

So the build below reflects phase 1 - Plex with transcoding ability and Homebridge. The thing I’m trying to decide on is a motherboard for future proofing and a CPU (and cooler) that saves on money that I can upgrade over time (because the mobo is future proofed). 

Case

Fractal Design Meshify 2 White - $139

CPU

AMD Ryzen ??

Motherboard

X570 Motherboard ?? 

Memory

Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) - $175.99

Cache 0

1x Samsung 860 Evo 1TB GB M.2-Solid State Drive (MZ-N6E1T0BW)- $130

Cache 1

1x Samsung 860 Evo 1TB GB M.2-Solid State Drive (MZ-N6E1T0BW)- $130

SAS/SATA Card

SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+SAS Pcie 2.0 - $150

Storage (Main)

3x Western Digital (Shucked) 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive - $540

Storage (Parity)

1x Western Digital (Shucked) 8 TB 3.5" 5400 Internal Hard Drive - $179.99

Power Supply

EVGA Supernova 650 GT, 80 Plus Gold 650W - $79.99

Operating System

Unraid Plus - $89.00

Total so far: $1480

Hardware Considerations:

A motherboard that supports 2 M.2 drives OR enough PCI Slots to support an M.2 card, SAS card, and GPU

My apologies if some of this is table stakes. Like I said I’m super new to unRAID and I also haven’t built a PC in almost 20 (yes I’m old) years so I’m coming back into the game again relearning everything. Thanks so much in advanced for the help!!

Edited by itpromike
  • itpromike changed the title to Help me finish my very 1st build? CPU/GPU/MOBO