Shipping my 3x Towers oversea's

HK-Steve

Hi Everyone, Not sure where to ask, but thought this was the best place to ask. If not, please move.

I am moving from Switzerland to UK. Shipping company.
Would you remove the hard drives from the Tower's and wrap them individually?
Or keep them mounted in each Tower/NAS, In hard drive trays?

Tower1 is 6 hard drives, 10Tb

Tower2 is 24 hard drives, 78Tb

Tower3 is 15 hard drives, 100Tb

I also have couple of Qnap and Netgear NAS, about another 132Tb. ..................Yeah, I love my TV and Blu-Ray's.

Appreciate your comments and advice.

Cheers

Steve

Many years ago, the company that I worked for routinely had to ship pc's and servers.  They used the equivalent of pelican cases for everything.  Foam cut-outs to snuggly hold harddrives.  Expanding foam was used to secure the machine, itself. 

If I was doing it today, I'd probably dismantle and securely pack the major components.  Pelican cases if there were an economical way to acquire/rent/lease them.  Otherwise, I'd probably use heavy duty boxes.

I'm not in the business anymore, so that's just how I would approach it until I learned I had better options.

2 hours ago, HK-Steve said:

Thanks to you both, and who moved the thread.

Will remove the hard drives and wrap them individually.

Will be sure to take a snap shot of the drive order and serial number before doing so. And a backup of the USB stick.

Much appreciated

Also remove any heatsinks, a customer of mine shipped a box from Alaska to the east coast of the USA and when it got here, the CPU heatsink had come loose inside the case and bounced around putting divots in all the circuit boards and ripping cables out of sockets. Total loss.

Thanks to you both, and who moved the thread.

Will remove the hard drives and wrap them individually.
Will be sure to take a snap shot of the drive order and serial number before doing so. And a backup of the USB stick.

Much appreciated

If your are recording serial number and location for the sake of unraid then your don't need to bother, unraid tracks hard drive To drive slot by serial number not by connection to port.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk