Where Does UnRaid OS show NVMe Location Path?

Hi All,

Where in Unraid OS (v 6.9.1) do I go to so I can see the Location PATH for a NVMe drive I have installed on the PCI slot using a NVME adapter card?  I need to know this because my VM setup vDisk Location parameter is set to MANUAL and now it wants me to enter a path to the NVMe drive.  I entered the path shown below and the UnRaid OS rejected it:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780 (nvme0n1)

In short, I need to know where in the UnRaid OS I can see the correct NVMe Path so I can replace the incorrect portion of the path shown below:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-

with the correct NVME location path.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Edited by slipstream
36 minutes ago, slipstream said:

Hi All,

Where in Unraid OS (v 6.9.1) do I go to so I can see the Location PATH for a NVMe drive I have installed on the PCI slot using a NVME adapter card?  I need to know this because my VM setup vDisk Location parameter is set to MANUAL and now it wants me to enter a path to the NVMe drive.  I entered the path shown below and the UnRaid OS rejected it:

In short, I need to know where in the UnRaid OS I can see the correct NVMe Path so I can replace the incorrect portion of the path shown below:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-

with the correct NVME location path.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

I would not think the part in brackets should be there?

2 hours ago, slipstream said:

Hi All,

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-

If you want to pass NVMe through it will/can be recognized as a PCIe Device. Example

->

IOMMU group 15:[144d:a80a] 01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller PM9A1/980PRO

This controller is bound to vfio, connected drives are not visible.

In the XML for the VM it will look like this:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

I have added the <boot oder> by hand...

----

Hope that helps.

Thank you to all for your help. 

TomK1412,

Below is a screenshot of my System Devices IOMMU list.  Inside the YELLOW box is my NVMe device. Just to confirm I understand you correctly. To successfully PassThrough my NVMe and load it with a LinuxMint.iso image I first need to apply a Checkmark and then hit the "Bind Selected to VFIO At Boot" button and reboot my server. 

image.thumb.png.7e7bd63d2f19219b1e6f5f757a0e960c.png

I then need to manually add my own version of your XML code shown below so that my VM boots correctly. What numbers shown in the YELLOW box above do I paste into your XML code below so I can make it my own? 

<boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

Nevertheless, what is not yet clear to me is once I add my custom XML code does it cancel out the need to manually add a path to "Primary vDisk Location" parameter shown below circled in RED?  In short, it's still not clear to me where in the UnRaid OS can I see the NVMe path I need to copy and paste into the "Primary vDisk Location" parameter shown below circled in RED? 

image.thumb.png.3394407ba649ff48b9436e6cbdc50431.png

SimonF,

I'm not adding my NVMe device via my Unassigned Devices app therefore  the path:  /mnt/disks  does not apply.

Additionally, I'm not adding my NVMe device via a pool so the path:  /mnt/pool name  also does not apply.

The answer is I am adding my NVMe device as a passthrough to mount a LinuxMint.iso image to run as a VM.  Do you know what is the path I need to paste into the RED circled parameter shown above?

itimpi,

Regarding the brackets found in this text string:  (nvme0n1) 

I tried the path with and without (nvme0n1) and both versions were rejected by the UnRaid OS.

Edited by slipstream

There's no need to block that device in "System Devices" or to use XML. The device is listed in that directory:

ls -lisa /dev/disk/by-id/

1.a) If you want to passthrough the complete device, copy the complete name leaving the "-partx" suffix off (if it does exist). From that build the complete path. Eg.:

1747 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   10 May 18 07:05 ata-HGST_HUS724020ALA640_PN2181P5H1E36X -> ../../sdbp
--> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-HGST_HUS724020ALA640_PN2181P5H1E36X

1b.) If you want to passthrough a partition from that device only, copy the complete name including the "-partx" suffix. If there's no suffix, this device has no partition and you can passthrough the complete device only (see 1a.))

1747 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   10 May 18 07:05 ata-HGST_HUS724020ALA640_PN2181P5H1E36X-part1 -> ../../sdbp1
--> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-HGST_HUS724020ALA640_PN2181P5H1E36X-part1

2.) Put the resulting path in the field you found already (shown in the image above). You can use "VirtIO" or "SATA". This has effect how the device is named in the VM (e.g. vdb vs. sdb). I use VirtIO always, but it may not work depending on the use case and the Operating Systems. "SATA" is save and should work always.

3.) If Unassigned Devices is installed, this device will be shown there too. It has an option "Mount" then. DON'T HIT THAT BUTTON! Click on the blue "Edit Device Options And Script" instead. On the page shown now, click "Passed through" and hit "Apply". This will make the "Mount" button unavailable.

That's all.

Edited by hawihoney

Hawihoney,

Thank you very much for your post.  If I compare my initial test path I posted in my very first post at the top to the example path you posted they seem to have this much of the path text in common:  "/dev/disk/by-id/ata-"

Below is a side by side comparison -

My PATH Tests:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780

Your PATH Example:

--> /dev/disk/by-id/ata-HGST_HUS724020ALA640_PN2181P5H1E36X

I suspect the reason I got the error shown below after hitting the CREATE button in the ADD VM form is because I hit the MOUNT button on my Unassigned Devices app for the NVMe device it shows after I performed a XFS format on it.  

Nevertheless, it is good to know there is no need to apply a checkmark to IOMMU Group 44 shown above in a YELLOW box and   I will try again on Friday and hopefully by unmounting my NVMe device from my Unassigned Devices App I will not get the error shown below. 

image.png.814539b4ca5fd674d78421642f397a31.png

After I am done with some further testing I will update this thread with what I learn so others in the community with this same problem can learn from thread in the future.

Hi all,

I have carried on with my troubleshooting regarding this matter and I am glad to say this problem has been solved.  Below are the steps I performed. Again, thank you to Hawihoney and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

1. I unmounted my NVMe drive from my Unassigned Devices app. In short, my UD app now shows a "MOUNT" button for my NVMe drive.
  2. I opened my UnRaid Terminal and entered this command:  ls -lisa /dev/disk/by-id/
  3. From the list shown in the terminal I tracked down my NVMe info and then concatenated this path text string: /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D87862
  4. I created a new Linux Mint VM and changed the vDisk Location parameter to "MANUAL" and pasted this path: /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D87862
  5. I hit the "CREATE" button and the result was my Linux Mint OS installed onto my NVMe drive as a Virtio image. 
  6. Glad to say my Linux Mint OS operates a lot faster compared to the previous configuration I was using.

That was it. No need to BIND my NVMe device in the System Devices VFIO list or make any XML edits.  

Again, thank you to all for your help and I hope this thread helps out somebody in the future with a similar problem.

Edited by slipstream
  • slipstream changed the title to [SOLVED] Where Does UnRaid OS show NVMe Location Path?
11 hours ago, slipstream said:

the result was my Linux Mint OS installed onto my NVMe drive as a Virtio image

Just a clarification: you did not install linux on a virtio image, you installed it on your nvme drive attached to a virtio controller.

This means that if you take that nvme out of your server and you attach it into another one, with no emulation, linux will boot.

Your original post asked how to run 3 vms stored on the same nvme drive: with this solution you will not able to accomplish this, as you used the whole drive for your linux.

Moreover in a case like this I would have preferred to passthrough the drive as pci, so the whole nvme controller: why having a virtio driver in the middle (and so some overhead) when you can passthrough the whole device?

Edited by ghost82

Ghost82,

Thank you for your post.  You are correct, my goal is to have my NVMe split into three partitions so I can install Linux Mint, Windows 10 and Mac IOS to each partition. However, due to my lack of experience I think I messed it all up.  Below is a screen capture of my Linux Mint "DISKS" window which shows how my 1TB NVMe drive is currently situated with the Linux Mint OS.

image.png.5779cf9772b12c8b5d840ece3095667c.png

I do not understand why it shows FAT 32 being that my LinuxMint ISO image I downloaded is 64bit?

If I understand you correctly Ghost82 I need to make the following fixes:

1. Passthrough my NVMe PCI card by applying a Checkmark and hitting the BIND button. Currently my NVMe PCI Controller card looks like what is shown in the screen capture below:

image.thumb.png.48cb55b272763827f6a074abe1f02971.png

2. Using MiniTool Partition Wizard on my Win10 PC I need to split the NVMe into 3 partitions.  Here is where I am confused and will appreciate some help. Should all three partitions be formatted in the UnRaid OS  XFS standard or should each partition conform to the partition standards listed below?
  • EXT4 (Linux Mint OS) 333GB partition size
  • NTFS (Windows10 0S) 333GB partition size
  • APFS (MAC OS) 334GB partition size

3.  Listed below are the NVMe install paths I am assuming I need to use:

/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D87862-part1     (For LinuxMint OS)

/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D87862-part2     (For Windows10 OS)

/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D87862-part3     (For Mac OS)

Below is something you say I hope you can clarify because I do not understand what parameters in the Create VM form are impacted by what you say below:

"you did not install linux on a virtio image, you installed it on your nvme drive attached to a virtio controller."

As shown below I selected "VirtIO" in the Create VM Form. Does that look correct to you?  How do I avoid the problem of not installing Linux Mint on a Virtio Image? 

image.png.99e4ce127004b85c41ed835fff240813.png

In short, please share any info you may have you think will help me perform this configuration the best way possible.  Thank you for your time.

• slipstream changed the title to Where Does UnRaid OS show NVMe Location Path?
13 hours ago, slipstream said:

I do not understand why it shows FAT 32 being that my LinuxMint ISO image I downloaded is 64bit?

That is the EFI partition: you installed Linux with ovmf bios, so you did a UEFI installation, this means that during installation you created 2 partitions: the EFI partition (formatedd as FAT32) to boot the os and the ext4 partition for the regular linux.

As shown below I selected "VirtIO" in the Create VM Form. Does that look correct to you?  How do I avoid the problem of not installing Linux Mint on a Virtio Image?

There are many ways to passthrough a "disk" to a virtual machine.

In general, a disk is attached to a controller and the controller is attached to your motherboard.

1. What you did is passing through a real disk (the whole disk, because you didn't passed through a partition "-partx"), but attached to a virtual controller (virtio in your case).

2. Another way is to passthrough only the partition to the vm (so in the manual path you need to add -partx, where x is the partition number): in this case your linux has 2 partitions, as I wrote, the EFI and the ext4, so you need to add 2 disks, one pointing to the EFI partition, with boot order 1, and the ext4

3. Another way is to pass through the controller, instead of virtualizing it, no need to add the disk(s) part to the vm, the controller is a pci device, and by passing through the controller the virtual machine will automatically see the disk attached to it.

4. Another way is to install virtual machines on virtual disks: in this case you mount the nvme drive with unassigned devices, and the whole nvme drive will be mounted in /mnt/disks; once it's mounted you can save the disk image (vdisk1.img for example) in the path on the mounted nvme drive.

In this last case you will virtualize both the disk (because it's a virtual disk image) and the controller.

Please read again all comments in both threads, all was written!

Edited by ghost82
  1. or should each partition conform to the partition standards listed below?
  • EXT4 (Linux Mint OS) 333GB partition size
  • NTFS (Windows10 0S) 333GB partition size
  • APFS (MAC OS) 334GB partition size

3.  Listed below are the NVMe install paths I am assuming I need to use:

/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D87862-part1     (For LinuxMint OS)

/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D87862-part2     (For Windows10 OS)

/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D87862-part3     (For Mac OS)

This one should be correct; as an example, for the linux vm, when you choose where to install it and you choose the ext4 partition, it should automatically split the ext4 partition and add the EFI partition to boot linux. The same is for the other oses; as an example windows 10 doesn't have only the ntfs partition, the system, if installed as UEFI, needs 5 partitions (if I remember well), that are automatically created during installation.

Always check the correct paths with the command:

ls -lisa /dev/disk/by-id/

We cannot know how the system rename your partitions, probably it's correct, but check on your system.

So, if your goal, is to have 3 vms on the same nvme drive, please proceed by steps.

By this way you will install all the 3 systems on virtual disks.

1. Delete the partitions in unraid on your nvme drive (note: this action is destructive, you will loose your linux vm)

2. Format the drive with a single partition in unraid

3. Mount the nvme with unassigned device

4. In unraid terminal run the following command:

ls /mnt/disks/

We will proceed once you will have the output of that command

Edited by ghost82

Ghost82,

Thank you for your three recent posts. I deleted my NVMe's two partitions and then formatted and mounted my NVMe using my Unassigned devices app. 

Below is the terminal text I got after running the "ls /mnt/disks/" command inside my UnRaid terminal:

root@tower:~# ls /mnt/disks/
WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780/
root@tower:~#

Below is the LOG file my Unassigned Devices app generated. It summarizes how my NVMe is now newly formatted:

May 25 21:44:26 tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1 p2
May 25 21:45:15 tower emhttpd: WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780 (nvme0n1) 512 1953525168
May 25 21:45:15 tower emhttpd: read SMART /dev/nvme0n1
May 25 21:57:54 tower unassigned.devices: Removing partition '2' from disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
May 25 21:58:26 tower unassigned.devices: Removing partition '1' from disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
May 25 21:58:31 tower kernel: nvme0n1:
May 25 21:59:49 tower unassigned.devices: Device '/dev/nvme0n1' block size: 1953525168.
May 25 21:59:49 tower unassigned.devices: Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
May 25 21:59:49 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
May 25 21:59:49 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1: re-reading partition table
May 25 21:59:49 tower unassigned.devices: Creating Unraid compatible mbr partition on disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
May 25 21:59:49 tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
May 25 21:59:49 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
May 25 21:59:49 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1: re-reading partition table
May 25 21:59:49 tower unassigned.devices: Formatting disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'xfs' filesystem.
May 25 21:59:54 tower unassigned.devices: Format disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'xfs' filesystem: meta-data=/dev/nvme0n1p1 isize=512 agcount=4, agsize=61047598 blks = sectsz=512 attr=2, projid32bit=1 = crc=1 finobt=1, sparse=1, rmapbt=0 = reflink=1 data = bsize=4096 blocks=244190390, imaxpct=25 = sunit=0 swidth=0 blks naming =version 2 bsize=4096 ascii-ci=0, ftype=1 log =internal log bsize=4096 blocks=119233, version=2 = sectsz=512 sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1 realtime =none extsz=4096 blocks=0, rtextents=0 Discarding blocks...Done.
May 25 21:59:57 tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
May 25 21:59:57 tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
May 25 21:59:57 tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1: re-reading partition table
May 25 22:02:14 tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/nvme0n1p1'...
May 25 22:02:14 tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,discard '/dev/nvme0n1p1' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780'
May 25 22:02:14 tower kernel: XFS (nvme0n1p1): Mounting V5 Filesystem
May 25 22:02:14 tower kernel: XFS (nvme0n1p1): Ending clean mount
May 25 22:02:14 tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/nvme0n1p1' on '/mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780'.

Lastly, the screen capture below shows how my NVMe disk looks iike after mounting it to my Unassigned Devices app:

image.thumb.png.7f99e1da9ca77575eec33e55d99d5fce.png

Just to confirm.  You explain 4 different ways to passthrough a "disk" to a virtual machine in your post above. Is your #4 description the approach you are using for my NVMe setup?

Again, thank you for your time.

3 hours ago, slipstream said:

Is your #4 description the approach you are using for my NVMe setup?

Yes, virtual disks (images) for the vms + virtual controllers, all saved on the same nvme real disk.

Ok, now, mount the nvme drive (if it isn't mounted), and after that create a new vm.

In the disk section choose a primary vdisk and set:

Manual, with this path:

/mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780/vdisk.img

Note: you can change the name "vdisk.img" to what you want.

Choose the size you want (i.e. 300G).

As usual for this vdisk bus you can choose virtio (as you did before) or sata, your choice.

Proceed with the installation.

Note: before starting the virtual machine you always must have the nvme mounted by unassigned device.

Edited by ghost82

I'm not in front of unraid right now, so I cannot test, but if you have issue when writing the path of the vdisk, it may be related that the img doesn't exist yet.

So, before creating the virtual machine, first create the vdisk.img file on the mounted nvme drive, with this command, from unraid:

qemu-img create -f raw /mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780/vdisk.img 300G

This will create a 300 GB raw vdisk.img file into /mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780

After this, proceed to create the vm as explained.

Ghost82,

Thank you for your two posts. Great news! I got successful results following your instructions. The only problem I encountered came up after executing the command below in my UnRaid terminal:

qemu-img create -f raw /mnt/disks/WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780/lnxdisk.img 300G

The  "Formatting" message shown in the terminal never disappeared. So I was not sure if the formatting was successfully completed or not.  After 10 minutes of waiting I entered the command shown below:

ls /mnt/disks/ WDC_WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0_21146D802780/

And it replied back with:

lnxdisk.img

So, I guess the "Formatting" message not dissappearing from the Terminal is by design.

Creating the Linux Mint VM itself went smoothly.  I selected Virtio and not SATA.   Do you know if both options offer the same performance?

I will post some screen captures tomorrow because it is getting late and I have to get up early in the morning tomorrow.

Again, thank you for your help. I'm sure this thread will help others in the community wanting to do the same thing in the future.

The  "Formatting" message shown in the terminal never disappeared.

Output of qemu-img create -f raw should be something like this:

# qemu-img create -f raw /var/lib/libvirt/images/disk1.img 10G
Formatting '/var/lib/libvirt/images/disk1.img', fmt=raw 
size=10737418240

Do you know if both options offer the same performance?

Virtio should be faster than sata; linux has a driver for virtio disk, windows has a driver too, but during installation you need to mount an additional disc with virtio drivers because the windows installation disc doesn't include them and without it windows will not see the virtio hd. Mac os catalina/big sur has a virtio driver too.

However for mac os the virtio driver doesn't support trim/discard, so the free space on the virtual disc of the vm doesn't sync with the free space of the host (unraid), with sata and additional code in the xml of the vm trim/discard works as expected. Not sure about trim/discard for the other operating systems: I know for windows that virtio-scsi should be the best option which support trim/discard.

Edited by ghost82

Ghost82,

Just wondering if you can clarify the following. Currently I have to manually click on the Unassigned Devices "MOUNT" button before I start my VM. If I don't do this my VM gives me a path error message and fails to start.  So I looked into how I could configure my NVMe settings so it auto mounts itself.  By clicking on the blue button circled below in YELLOW the UnRaid OS shows you a DISK EDIT Settings window where I discovered  some settings I hope you can comment on.

image.thumb.png.d98d9dda1f5968326df6e3f3732f8807.png

Regarding the PASSED THROUGH slider button shown below circled in YELLOW.  Is it necessary to activate this PASS THROUGH button?   Hawihoney in his post above advises to activate this PASS THROUGH button but not sure if I should because his NVMe Install approach differs from your NVMe install approach. 

Regarding the AUTOMOUNT and SHARE buttons. I am planning on activating the AUTOMOUNT button because I want the NVMe drive to automatically mount itself after my UnRaid system powers up.  And as for the SHARE button I don't plan to activate this button out of security concerns.  I look forward to reading any opinion you may have regarding these buttons shown in the screen capture below. 

image.png.b691f439155ae2d3cabf1556b4d2cf4e.png

Lastly, the screen capture below shows my 1TB NVME correctly partitioned to 322GB.  This differs from the DISKS screen shot shown in my previous post that shows the entire 1TB drive space occupied by my Linux Mint OS.  Thanks again for your help which got me past this NVMe partition sizing problem.  I plan to repeat this partitioning process for the  Windows10 and MAC OS installs with a few changes.    Thank you for your time.

image.png.20f036860e6086d87afa72a9c52b3dde.png

Edited by slipstream

Regarding the PASSED THROUGH slider button shown below circled in YELLOW.  Is it necessary to activate this PASS THROUGH button?   Hawihoney in his post above advises to activate this PASS THROUGH button but not sure if I should because his NVMe Install approach differs from your NVMe install approach. 

Regarding the AUTOMOUNT and SHARE buttons. I am planning on activating the AUTOMOUNT button because I want the NVMe drive to automatically mount itself after my UnRaid system powers up.  And as for the SHARE button I don't plan to activate this button out of security concerns.  I look forward to reading any opinion you may have regarding these buttons shown in the screen capture below.

Hi, all you need is automount set to be active.

For your case you are not passing through the nvme drive: the drive must be seen in unraid and your vm save files in a virtual disk on unraid, not on a disk on the virtual machine itself.

With the share button you share the nvme drive through smb (samba) for example. May be useful if you want to explore from the virtual machine the nvme drive; if you activate the share button and you have a bridged connection you can connect via smb from the vm to unraid and mount that nvme drive and you will see the lnxdisk.img file, or whatever file you saved inside the nvme drive.

Edited by ghost82