[Support] binhex - Crafty

On 12/30/2021 at 7:59 PM, MrInhumane said:

Hello! I'm running into a small issue with the crafty container and was hoping someone might be able to help. The image size has bloated to over 27GB while pregenerating the world.

I understand that means something is writing to the image instead of a mapped share, but I don't know what is writing out or exactly how to track it down. Based on the size, it feels like the entire server files are writing out, but that doesn't make sense to me as those are all saving to the /appdata/crafty share mapped to /config.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am in the same position, have you had any luck finding out where the issue is? Mine is not quite as big, it's sitting at 10.2GB, which feels too big. I have confirmed my config folders are mapped correctly and backups are happening to the config folder. I am running a single papermc 1.18.1 server.

37 minutes ago, jaqrab said:

I am in the same position, have you had any luck finding out where the issue is? Mine is not quite as big, it's sitting at 10.2GB, which feels too big. I have confirmed my config folders are mapped correctly and backups are happening to the config folder. I am running a single papermc 1.18.1 server.

So much for my 'confirmed' statement 🤦‍♂️

Turns out the backups were being stored in the /opt/crafty/backups folder, I changed this to the /config/crafty/backups and deleted the /opt/crafty/backups folder, thus reducing the image size.

Some useful commands I learnt during the process:

1) Determine size of docker images

docker ps --size

2) Determine folder space hogs

du -h / 2>/dev/null | grep '[0-9\.]\+G'

web reference

Edited by jaqrab
readability and spelling
1 hour ago, jaqrab said:

I didn't end up resolving it and finally gave up and went back to the previous app I'd used in the past.

I'm glad you were able to resolve it though and appreciate the information you posted on how you came to the resolution! I'll definitely be looking into that more.

6 hours ago, jaqrab said:

So much for my 'confirmed' statement 🤦‍♂️

Turns out the backups were being stored in the /opt/crafty/backups folder, I changed this to the /config/crafty/backups and deleted the /opt/crafty/backups folder, thus reducing the image size.

Be careful here. Depending on your unraid setup, the backups could be being saved to the cache (ssd?) drive, and backups are huge. 

It's probably a good idea to create a new share on unraid ('use cache = yes') and map that share into the docker container, then save the backups there instead.

Unraid share:

image.thumb.png.ff951081a76e53af483d765d4472a037.png

Container setup:

image.thumb.png.0743113ec12c06829a0881aa77c0b174.png

image.png.81eb8b6a1b57ab8f0e82b2130687201f.png

Crafty config:

image.png.a73ab75e103075964e4bbc871ac0603b.png

The resulting file system. Crafty auto-creates a folder for each server. I have 3 servers:

image.png.02c83c2485e2016647a20a3d1b79da9c.png

20 minutes ago, TheLordRev said:

Is there a trick to getting MC servers to be able to be restarted from the UI or even auto-restart when the server crashes?

I'm running into a problem where if an MC server i have in Crafty crashes it can't be restarted without restarting the entire container.

I've also had these issues. I didn't find a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I earlier today updated my binhex-crafty container and it seems to have deleted all my backups in the process. They are being saved to "/opt/crafty/backups" the default location.

Please tell me this isn't the case and they're still here somewhere. I updated it and then a few hours later replaced my world with a different map to test something with the plan to just restore backup later like I've done in the past but now I seem to have permanently lost my world forever which if so is extremely upsetting as its got several months of playtime from myself and quite a few friends.

I know its partially my fault and I should have multiple backup locations but I really didn't expect them to all just go like that. Is there anything I can do to get my world back? Anything at all?

Thanks if anyone can help!!

1 hour ago, BobFish said:

They are being saved to "/opt/crafty/backups" the default location.

sadly unless you configured the backup path correctly then your backups are lost, the default location saves to a path inside of the container (default defined by crafty dev not me), you need to reconfigure this to save to a volume bind that saves to the host, for example /config/crafty/backups

however as your world will of been stored on /config if you have plugin 'Appdata Backup/Restore v2' or manually backup your docker config (you really should be doing this) then you should be able to restore your config for crafty and thus restore your world.

edit - to prevent the potential of this happening again im going to symlink the default path to /config which is really the only option, as the backup path is saved to sqlite db and thus unable to edit easily.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how to best approach the situation, but the JRE recently introduced a change that breaks compatibility with older Forge modpacks. sun.security.util.ManifestEntryVerifier was changed in a way that breaks startup. The container just updated and now I cannot start my modpacks so I'll have to downgrade for now I suppose.

See here:
https://github.com/McModLauncher/modlauncher/issues/91

Note that only packs older than the forge version that fixes this would be affected, but still a problem.

Hey all, new to unRAID and Dockers. I have to 2 questions.  I want to host a Galacticraft server using binhex-Crafty, does anyone have a guide on how to set that up?

Also, I have an existing SkyFactory 4 server on Pebblehost that I want to move to my unRAID server. Can anyone assist with getting the files uploaded to my binhex-Crafty container and the world save loaded?

If this isn't the right place, I apologize. 

I just wanted to say nevermind.  I got the files loaded, and got my world save loaded. I figured out which files to edit and which to replace. Sorry all!

Edited by DarthLlama
Issue resolved
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I've been trying to set up a way for Unraid to send a command to the docker whenever it goes through something like appdata backup that restarts dockers, so that I can cleanly shutdown the Minecraft server first and not lose any data. I'm a beginner to dockers so I don't really understand how exactly the parsing commands through works.

I assume I have to do something like "docker exec -it binhex-crafty" followed by a path and the /stop command but I could be misunderstanding. How would I specify the path/the specific servers to shut down? The commands might be Crafty specific but I can't really find any details on what they are.

Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Crafty friends.

In case you saw the 6.10 update is out, I am not currently using my servers so I updated to 6.10 to test. The docker starts fine, but a server does not. I believe I need to specify a new java path. Does anyone have that handy for 6.10? On 6.9 I was using:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-17-openjdk/bin/java

I will post back if I can confirm the path. Until then, you may want to wait on 6.9.

Cheers.

Edit:

As clarification, and as confirmed by binhex below, this was unrelated to 6.10 and instead related to the docker update. Everything is working just fine on 6.10 and Java 18 should you want to upgrade.

Edited by reporrted
clarification

Oh, it's just java-18-openjdk now.

sh-5.1# ls
java            jrunscript            keytool
java.debuginfo  jrunscript.debuginfo  keytool.debuginfo
jfr             jwebserver            rmiregistry
jfr.debuginfo   jwebserver.debuginfo  rmiregistry.debuginfo
sh-5.1# pwd
/usr/lib/jvm/java-18-openjdk/bin
sh-5.1# 

Edited by reporrted
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, reporrted said:

Until then, you may want to wait on 6.9.

this has nothing to do with the version of unraid, its all to do with the recent rebuild of the image which as you have found out has bumped up java to v18, do you need to run v17 for your server?. the version of java used by the minecraft server can be controlled, see here:-

java versions available are 8, 11, or latest (which is currently 18), if you do have a hard requirement for v17 then i can attempt to include this too.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, dkerlee said:

I didn't see this right away, but found the change in file location from

/usr/lib/jvm/java-17-openjdk/bin/java

to 

/usr/lib/jvm/java-18-openjdk/bin/java

@binhex the readme.md at https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/crafty.md needs to be updated to working paths. I think.

yeah i think im going to rework it and just use XX instead of the version, as it will no doubt change again in the not too distant future.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just started a 1.19 vanilla java server using Crafty. Working so far! But acts glitchy. Logs show thousands of these:

[Netty Epoll Server IO #9/WARN]: Unexpected exception in the selector loop.
io.netty.channel.unix.Errors$NativeIoException: epoll_wait(..) failed: Function not implemented

The only thing I could find similar to this error was over at mojang.com being able to join multiplayer.

I can join server, but it's lag city.

epoll-errors.png

Edited by dkerlee
On 6/7/2022 at 10:48 PM, dkerlee said:

Just started a 1.19 vanilla java server using Crafty. Working so far! But acts glitchy. Logs show thousands of these:

[Netty Epoll Server IO #9/WARN]: Unexpected exception in the selector loop.
io.netty.channel.unix.Errors$NativeIoException: epoll_wait(..) failed: Function not implemented

The only thing I could find similar to this error was over at mojang.com being able to join multiplayer.

I can join server, but it's lag city.

I'm having the same issue.

• Upvote 1