[Support] Machinaris - Chia cryptocurrency farming + Plotman plotting + Unraid WebUI

18 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

I have not used Machinaris yet, up to this point I was just testing plotting setups using the stock GUI. I have things somewhat dialed in now so ready to move to Machinaris to start "real" plotting.

So all the settings are new and there is surprisingly little documentation that I can find on the subjects as well.

most of what people are running into are Docker related hardships that I have seen so far. Docker is a different mindset for how to run, map, and share resources but it is among the best once  you get it up and some familiarity with it. I think you should rename the shares to not have spaces, periods, other non-alphanumeric characters and give it another try. The docker container will handle the map so you only need the friendly name "in container" mapped specified in your plotman.yaml

Does that help? If you look about 10 questions back, Guy went over another person's mapping issues as well. Let me know if you have other pain points and I will try to make a video covering that setup.

• Like 1

I had updated the Auto Update Docker Plugin to exclude Machinaris and thought that covered it. My daily docker updates excluded it just fine. Then I realized after an appdata folder backup that the docker updated itself again and I lost 8 Parellel plots :/

In the Backup/Restore Appdata Plugin I realized there's an "Update Applications on Restart" selection which I had as "Yes". I'm thinking this then over rides the Auto Update Docker Plugin that I set to exclude Machinaris. 

I've set this to "No" now so I'll see if it fixes it on my next weekly Appdata backup. 

Just in case anybody else runs into this. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Ystebad said:

Unraid is saying there is update to Machinaris, but I see nothing posted here. I'm already running 0.3.1.  Please advise.

its only an Chia update. so no worries. the chia update adresses sync problems. do the update at good not plotting time

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TexasUnraid said:

I have not used Machinaris yet, up to this point I was just testing plotting setups using the stock GUI. I have things somewhat dialed in now so ready to move to Machinaris to start "real" plotting. So all the settings are new and there is surprisingly little documentation that I can find on the subjects as well.

Please see the wiki for Plotman.

1 hour ago, jollymonsa said:

most of what people are running into are Docker related hardships that I have seen so far. Docker is a different mindset for how to run, map, and share resources but it is among the best once  you get it up and some familiarity with it. I think you should rename the shares to not have spaces, periods, other non-alphanumeric characters and give it another try. The docker container will handle the map so you only need the friendly name "in container" mapped specified in your plotman.yaml

Does that help? If you look about 10 questions back, Guy went over another person's mapping issues as well. Let me know if you have other pain points and I will try to make a video covering that setup.

I have 60 dockers currently, I would say I have embraced docker lol.

The drive mapping is ok, I simply mapped the /mnt/disks folder to /plotting so I can access all my drives without having to map them individually (I have 26 of them at the moment, that would be a real pain).

The drives are available inside the container, no spaces are used, so all that is fine.

The issue is the config file will not accept the "tmpdir_max_jobs:" option. If I uncomment that it gives this error:

while parsing a block collection in "<unicode string>", line 29, column 17: - /plotting/1.5tb-1 ^ expected <block end>, but found '?' in "<unicode string>", line 41, column 17: "/plotting/1.5tb-1": ^ 

Comment it, everything saves properly.

I need to setup individual limits for each drive though as they range from 250gb to 6TB and can handle different numbers of plots.

It must be a syntax issue but I am doing it exactly like the example it had. So I am at a loss.

Edited by TexasUnraid
59 minutes ago, guy.davis said:

Please see the wiki for Plotman.

I have read through that, it is not very easy to understand but figured out what I needed with extra research elsewhere.

Except for this error above, it will simply not go away or allow me to save the config file if I have the "tmpdir_max_jobs:" enabled. I must setup individual limits though or it will only run a single plot on drives that can handle 3+.

Edited by TexasUnraid
3 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

I have read through that, it is not very easy to understand but figured out what I needed with extra research elsewhere.

Except for this error above, it will simply not go away or allow me to save the config file if I have the "tmpdir_max_jobs:" enabled. I must setup individual limits though or it will only run a single plot on drives that can handle 3+.

Please attach the full contents of your plotman.yaml after editing and I'll take a look for the syntax issue.  I uncommented 3 lines and was able to save as shown:

20210607_195715.png

11 hours ago, guy.davis said:

Please attach the full contents of your plotman.yaml after editing and I'll take a look for the syntax issue.  I uncommented 3 lines and was able to save as shown:

Ok, that actually solved it. It id not make it clear anywhere that the "tmp_overrides:" line was a command and not a comment so I was not aware I needed to uncomment that one lol.

Removed the comment from that line and it saved, now to go and re-add all my drives.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, flyize said:

How do I autostart Plotman after a reboot?

Hi, this is a new feature added by a fellow from New Zealand just recently.  Basically, you need to add a new Variable with key=AUTO_PLOT to the Machinaris docker container config like so.  Then restart the container and the `plotman plot` command will be run right away, starting a round of plotting.

20210608_072909.png

• Like 1

Ok, so looks like I got all the drives added to plotman properly and it saved but now running into a strange issue where if I uncomment the farmer or pool keys and enter my keys, it gets an error again?

plotting:
        k: 32
        e: False              # Use -e plotting option
        n_threads: 6          # Threads per job
        n_buckets: 64        # Number of buckets to split data into
        job_buffer: 7000      # Per job memory - Chia default
        # If specified, pass through to the -f and -p options.  See CLI reference.
         farmer_pk: a14---redacted
        pool_pk: 939-----redacted

I then get this error

while parsing a block mapping in "<unicode string>", line 209, column 9: k: 32 ^ expected <block end>, but found '<block mapping start>' in "<unicode string>", line 215, column 10: farmer_pk: a14

Comment out the keys, saves fine.

The error means nothing to me, anyway to understand what it is trying to tell me?

My Unraid Machinaris has been humming along quite nicely until this morning. All of a sudden, my plotting page no longer loads. Other pages are fine (Index, wallet etc), but /plotting throws a 500 error.

image.png.a443f05623a183857674aec2491aff8d.png

Hmmm... Looking further, one of my plotting drives has dropped offline... Not sure why... Could that be causing this error?

47 minutes ago, DoeBoye said:

My Unraid Machinaris has been humming along quite nicely until this morning. All of a sudden, my plotting page no longer loads. Other pages are fine (Index, wallet etc), but /plotting throws a 500 error.

Hmmm... Looking further, one of my plotting drives has dropped offline... Not sure why... Could that be causing this error?

Yes, could be that.  Some troubleshooting to try from the Machinaris Docker Console window in Unraid:

1. plotman status
  2. chia farm summary
  3. df -hT
  4. touch /plotting/test_file.txt  

An error to that last command would mean that a plot job can't write to the in-container /plotting volume mount. Also, take a look at the log file here: /mnt/user/appdata/machinaris/machinaris/logs/webui.log.  Hope this helps!

Edited by guy.davis
On 6/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, guy.davis said:

Hi there!  Sorry to hear you're having this issue.  Please check that both of these commands from the Unraid Docker Console window for Machinaris (in-container) show no errors:

chia farm summary
plotman status

They might have a clue as to the problem. Also, please check the logs, as they may be helpful.  Write back with your findings and we'll get it sorted out.  You could attach logs to a Github issue if that's easier.  Thanks!

Hi!

I can not upgrade 0.3.0 to 0.3.1 without loosing sync data.

I started a new 0.3.1 container. Its syncing, and during this I used CLI too but now I can reach Summary page and Plotting page.

For me it seems Machinaris works now.

After a full sync I will test it more.

Thanks.

Edited by laposelemer

hey there, having an issue, after the plot is create and moved to final location, the file attributes are -rw-r--r--

which is read/write for the owner (root/root), 

but read only for everyone else.

anyway to make it read/write "-rw-rw-rw-" for all files in the next update?

this causes an issue for Hpool when scanning the files, hpool thinks the files are invalid.

thanks, great work!

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 3.25.39 PM.png

25 minutes ago, Spazhead said:

hey there, having an issue, after the plot is create and moved to final location, the file attributes are -rw-r--r--

which is read/write for the owner (root/root), 

but read only for everyone else.

anyway to make it read/write "-rw-rw-rw-" for all files in the next update?

this causes an issue for Hpool when scanning the files, hpool thinks the files are invalid.

Interesting, I didn't know you could use hpool with tools such as Machinaris.  I suppose hpool only cares about the completed plots though.  I checked the Plotman github, but can't find any reference to default plot file permissions.  Have you considered using setfacl to set the default permissions of the folder itself so whatever places a file there, it gets the permissions you want?  I haven't tried this with Unraid, so not sure if it works.  Please let us know what you find!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, guy.davis said:

Interesting, I didn't know you could use hpool with tools such as Machinaris.  I suppose hpool only cares about the completed plots though.  I checked the Plotman github, but can't find any reference to default plot file permissions.  Have you considered using setfacl to set the default permissions of the folder itself so whatever places a file there, it gets the permissions you want?  I haven't tried this with Unraid, so not sure if it works.  Please let us know what you find!

This can be addressed by users with using the following script in a User Scripts job:

chown nobody:users /mnt/user/XXX-YOU-SHARE-HERE-XXX/plot*.plot && chmod 755 /mnt/user/XXX-YOU-SHARE-HERE-XXX/plot*.plot

Note part about using your User share name.

And then set the cron time to custom and run it every 2 mins or so with the following schedule:

*/2 * * * *

then you are good 2 go

• Like 2
5 hours ago, guy.davis said:

hi yes i did the script fix already, but was hoping that it would be fixed in the next version.

I'm only using Machinaris to Plot,  turned off everything else "chia stop farmer"

need help with settings if possible,

I can run 6 to 7 plots at a time

I also understand that chia requires only 1 tread after stage 1

when plotting, I want to limit the plots to only have 3 plots max at stage 1, so that i may assign more threads to start each plot

i believe this can be done using these setting

tmpdir_stagger_phase_major: 2
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_minor: 1
        # Optional: default is 1
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_limit: 1

but am confuse as to what i should set these parameters to be????

anyone know how i should configure this?

thanks

current setting

plotman.yaml

3 hours ago, Spazhead said:

I can run 6 to 7 plots at a time

Hi, yes.  In your attached config, you have 9 (!) temporary plotting folders configured.  If SSDs, what are the sizes of each? Have you considered combining them in RAID-0 as a single temp plotting directory? Else are they HDDs? 

I also understand that chia requires only 1 tread after stage 1

Actually, Machinaris uses a faster-plotter that multi-threads later stages for quicker plot completion.

when plotting, I want to limit the plots to only have 3 plots max at stage 1, so that i may assign more threads to start each plot

i believe this can be done using these setting

tmpdir_stagger_phase_major: 2
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_minor: 1
        # Optional: default is 1
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_limit: 1

but am confuse as to what i should set these parameters to be????

I see your config has:

• tmpdir_max_jobs = 1 so no more than one plotting job per temp dir at any time, any phase will run. 

• global_max_jobs = 7 so no more than seven plotting jobs total any time, any phase will run.  This means only 7 out of 9 of your temp directories will be used.

So depending on your answers above, you may want to increase these two values. 

Let's pretend you're using nine separate SSDs of ~500 GB each.  Then leave tmpdir_stagger_phase_major, tmpdir_stagger_phase_minor, tmpdir_stagger_phase_limit all unchanged.  You would increase tmpdir_max_jobs to 2 and global_max_jobs to 18.  Hope this helps!

Edited by guy.davis
  • Like 1
On 6/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, guy.davis said:

Hi, this is a new feature added by a fellow from New Zealand just recently.  Basically, you need to add a new Variable with key=AUTO_PLOT to the Machinaris docker container config like so.  Then restart the container and the `plotman plot` command will be run right away, starting a round of plotting.

20210608_072909.png

My plotter isn't running on Unraid, but a Docker in Fedora(farmer/harvester is on Unraid). How would I add the key there?