[Support] Machinaris - Chia cryptocurrency farming + Plotman plotting + Unraid WebUI

1 minute ago, macmanluke said:

Does not seem to say anything useful, they just end without finishing

Had 3 finish yesterday but it failed again last night (looks like right at the start of one last night)
Interestingly both nights looks like it stopped just after 3am
when i come back in the morning the web browser window has also disconnected and needs a refresh

do you have nightly back ups of your appdata folder using CA Backup, the docker containers are stopped for this, i believe the default time is 3am

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, doma_2345 said:

do you have nightly back ups of your appdata folder using CA Backup, the docker containers are stopped for this, i believe the default time is 3am

Yes, good suggestion.  @macmanluke, take a look at the uptime for Machinaris container on the Unraid Docker tab.  If it shows just hours, then something is stopping/restarting as above suggests.  Another one to watch out for is the 'Auto Update Applications' plugin.  For me, it restarted Machinaris (killing all plotting) a couple of early Sunday mornings until I found the toggle shown to disable just that container:

image.png.f58d1fbd0da1fd2ddb4a4142399ca9ea.png

I just had time to install this docker, looks really nice. I just started it up and left it running last night and noticed that it is using a lot of CPU just sitting there doing nothing but "syncing"?

It was on all night, it hasn't finished syncing yet?

firefox_5UDYNwdX93.thumb.jpg.4c3f5167ecc87a67c53067335a443478.jpg

No plots running, and not farming.

It does say:

No online backup file found,

Press S to skip restore from backup

Press F to use your own backup file: Exception from 'wallet' EOF when reading a line

How can I use a backup from the official chia program (on another system)? Would that stop the excessive usage?

Stumbled upon this from the Partition Pixel Chia thread so I'm looking forward to giving this a try! Currently I'm running my full node and wallet on a Windows VM on my Unraid machine. I plot from my gaming machine and place the final destination on a Chia Unraid share. 

Initially I wanted to run this docker as a plotter first to try things out but would be nice to have this as my full node so I can get rid of my Windows VM.

When I first ran the docker, there was no option to bypass creating a new key or importing a current key.

To run this as a plotter, would I just generate a new key from the startup page and include my Pool and Farmer keys during the plotting process?

If i were to import my current key from the Windows VM and have both keys online and running, would that cause any issues with farming? The goal would be to transition the full node from Windows VM to this docker. 

On 5/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, guy.davis said:

Good question, I've been plotting on windows machines with 'mode=plotter' and  'keys=/root/.chia/mnemonic.txt' just like the other modes.  I know that works. 

However, it's best practice to not put private key mnemonic on a plotting only machine.  So in test version (ghcr.io/guydavis/machinaris:test), there is support for not putting mnemonic.txt file down, but rather using farmer_pk and pool_pk. 

Above looks good.  If it works, you'll see that on start-up, Settings | Plotting should already have your farmer_pk and pool_pk at the bottom of the plotman.yaml file. 

Any problems, please create an issue in Github.  Also, feel free to join the Discord group for live support.

This worked almost perfectly! The only thing is it is still showing my public keys on the wallet Settings page (and it still seems to think the mnemonic.txt file is in my root folder), even though the mnemonic.txt file was removed. Should there even still be a keys setting option?

I'll submit it to github if it's an issue, but wanted to check here first. Perhaps it's working as designed...

Edited by DoeBoye

Hi !

Sofar I have created 7 plots and that is continuing nicely.

I am wondering however: how can I actually determine that the -farming- is working ?

I am aware that it can take months and months before there could be any payout, but I do not see any indication that there is something going that is “farming” (besides the “farming active” on the main page).

How can I see that I am at least -trying- to create a profit ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

NOTICE:

Unrelated to this docker image specifically, but there has been notice of some malicious powershell code many may have used for fixing past syncing issues on windows clients.  The code in question allows for a backdoor to steal XCH, the wallet mnemonic passphrase and possibilities to execute any command potentially compromising your OS.

This code was already mentioned in a post on the partition pixel chia docker forum topic and may have been used by other members here.  I know a lot of us have had syncing issues and might have used similar code to resolve such issues. Please take note and read the provided link.

I would hate for someone to lose XCH or keep plotting away on a compromised farm who didn't know about the issue!

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/chia/comments/nl94th/psa_potential_security_breach_for_end_users_who/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

I just had time to install this docker, looks really nice. I just started it up and left it running last night and noticed that it is using a lot of CPU just sitting there doing nothing but "syncing"?

It was on all night, it hasn't finished syncing yet?

firefox_5UDYNwdX93.thumb.jpg.4c3f5167ecc87a67c53067335a443478.jpg

No plots running, and not farming.

It does say:

No online backup file found,

Press S to skip restore from backup

Press F to use your own backup file: Exception from 'wallet' EOF when reading a line

How can I use a backup from the official chia program (on another system)? Would that stop the excessive usage?

Good day! Yes, on initial launch the Chia binaries start to sync the blockchain from zero which generally takes a day or more and downloads GBs of data from peers.  You can monitor this process on the Network and Wallet tabs, look at the date shown to see how far back the current blockchain sync is.  Once you get to current date and it shows 'Synced', then that usage should stop.

For the wallet, please execute 'chia wallet show' and type 'S' when prompted from the Unraid Docker Console for Machinaris container.  This is fixed in the coming release to avoid this CLI step.

10 minutes ago, zer0ed said:

NOTICE:

Unrelated to this docker image specifically, but there has been notice of some malicious powershell code many may have used for fixing past syncing issues on windows clients.  The code in question allows for a backdoor to steal XCH, the wallet mnemonic passphrase and possibilities to execute any command potentially compromising your OS.

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/chia/comments/nl94th/psa_potential_security_breach_for_end_users_who/

Good point to raise.  The Machinaris project takes wallet security very seriously and we're actively looking to improve the key-handling behavior we inherited from the official Chia docker.  All feedback and suggestions are welcomed.  

This article is a good starting point on how one can best implement their own wallet security practices.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Helmonder said:

Hi !

Sofar I have created 7 plots and that is continuing nicely.

I am wondering however: how can I actually determine that the -farming- is working ?

I am aware that it can take months and months before there could be any payout, but I do not see any indication that there is something going that is “farming” (besides the “farming active” on the main page).

How can I see that I am at least -trying- to create a profit ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Welcome!  Good question.  The next release coming this week has better display of 'Expected Time to Win' and also status of Blockchain Challenges.  Keep an eye out for available updates to Machinaris in your Unraid Docker tab. 

1 hour ago, DoeBoye said:

This worked almost perfectly! The only thing is it is still showing my public keys on the wallet Settings page (and it still seems to think the mnemonic.txt file is in my root folder), even though the mnemonic.txt file was removed. Should there even still be a keys setting option?

I'll submit it to github if it's an issue, but wanted to check here first. Perhaps it's working as designed...

The next release v0.3.0 will have some improvements about webui display when in plotter mode.  Should be available later this week.  Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, guy.davis said:

Good day! Yes, on initial launch the Chia binaries start to sync the blockchain from zero which generally takes a day or more and downloads GBs of data from peers.  You can monitor this process on the Network and Wallet tabs, look at the date shown to see how far back the current blockchain sync is.  Once you get to current date and it shows 'Synced', then that usage should stop.

For the wallet, please execute 'chia wallet show' and type 'S' when prompted from the Unraid Docker Console for Machinaris container.  This is fixed in the coming release to avoid this CLI step.

Cool, I will let it run then, my backplane or something crashed last night and all my drives dropped out so I get to work that out first lol.

• Like 1

As I eagerly await the next release to monitor logs, I was wondering if from the Docker environment I will be able to monitor logs located on a Windows system? Really hoping to have a single interface/location to keep an eye on everything. As I hit the 1400 plot mark with 0XCH it is frustrating so I keep wasting time auditing log files and such to ensure everything seems happy.

1 hour ago, jaj08 said:

As I eagerly await the next release to monitor logs, I was wondering if from the Docker environment I will be able to monitor logs located on a Windows system? Really hoping to have a single interface/location to keep an eye on everything. As I hit the 1400 plot mark with 0XCH it is frustrating so I keep wasting time auditing log files and such to ensure everything seems happy.

I see your TTW at 20 days. Nice work!

24 minutes ago, insomniak said:

What are typical sync times for 1.1.6 from a fresh install? I'm going on a 8 hours now and the farming status still says "syncing". Is there a way to see the progress like in the Windows GUI? Would bring me peace of mind knowing it's actually doing something.

Last Week it took about +20 hours for a full sync.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, jaj08 said:

Really good question.  Ideally if you could robocopy or mtail the logs over from your Windows system to the machine running Machinaris, then you could include them in a volume mount to the container.  Unfortunately, it looks like Chiadog does not yet support monitoring more than one Chia debug.log at time.  You should open a request though.

Alternatively, it is possible to run Machinaris in modes like 'harvester' and 'farmer' with a stripped down webui.  In that case, you'd have multiple instances of Machinaris, each with its own Chiadog watching the local debug.log.  That doesn't get you a single monitoring Pane however, just a bunch of browser tabs. 

There is an open Machinaris request to support a distributed reporting mode where a central Machinaris receives status and updates from worker instances doing farmer/harvester/plotter.  This idea is just on the drawing board right now though.  Please add your thoughts.

Edited by guy.davis
6 hours ago, insomniak said:

Good to know, I guess i'll just be a little more patient 😂

Ha! Yes, at least with Chia v1.1.6 it will eventually sync.  I spent nearly a week with v1.1.5 never getting synced.  😢

To monitor in Machinaris, view the Network | Blockchain page which shows the sync status.  In particular, look at the date it shows.  The farther back in time, the longer the blockchain has to sync.  The closer you get to current datetime, the nearer you are to Fully Synced.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Is it normal for the syncing to get stuck for days at a time?

Been stuck on this for the last 2 days:

Current Blockchain Status: Full Node syncing to block 348816

Currently synced to block: 272168

Current Blockchain Status: Not Synced. Peak height: 272168 Time: Wed May 12 2021 20:14:00 CDT Height: 272168

Restarted the docker but still there.

4 hours ago, TexasUnraid said:

Is it normal for the syncing to get stuck for days at a time?

Been stuck on this for the last 2 days:

Current Blockchain Status: Full Node syncing to block 348816

Currently synced to block: 272168

Current Blockchain Status: Not Synced. Peak height: 272168 Time: Wed May 12 2021 20:14:00 CDT Height: 272168

Restarted the docker but still there.

I'm in the same boat. Mine was updating fine and then now has been stuck on this for about 8 hours now.

Current Blockchain Status: Not Synced. Peak height: 342681 Time: Wed May 26 2021 22:35:34 PDT Height: 342681

I checked the connections tab and the FULL_NODEs I'm connected to are updating to the current time so I'm connected at least but I'm not sure why sync status isn't increasing.

I don't want to try restarting my docker just yet since I have a few plots going but if it doesn't move after a while longer I may just kill my plots.

14 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

The normal chia program on ubuntu seems to be updating properly on another machine. I wounder if I can copy the updated info to this docker and then it will only have to update new blocks? Maybe solving the issue?

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing syncing problems.  It should be possible to restart the chia services from within the container without impacting concurrent plotting jobs.  Try this from the Docker console for Machinaris under Unraid (so an in-container command):

chia start farmer -r

Edited by guy.davis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1