Wierd issue with recognizing USB on cold boot

jonlai9

Hey guys, I have a M4A785-M motherboard for my build with a Kingston USB.

I took apart a spare USB expansion bracket so I can fit the USB inside the case and connected my unRAID USB onto it. I noticed that on a cold shutdown, the BIOS would fail to recognize the USB until I replug it back in, which it then recognizes the drive immediately. I haven't tried yet whether or not its related to the BIOS or the USB header cable itself, but from experiences what do you guys think the issue is? After everything's set up, doing a warm reboot does not have problems recognizing the USB drive. Thanks.

This motherboard has known issues with booting from USB with certain flash drives.  See here and here for more info.  My guess is that simply by changing the USB port you are using you have confused the board.  Since you got it working before, chances are you can get it working again, just try not to unplug it again if you can help it (shouldn't be hard since you are installing it internally).

By the way, this motherboard is also incompatible with the popular Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SATA expansion card.

This motherboard has known issues with booting from USB with certain flash drives.  See here and here for more info.  My guess is that simply by changing the USB port you are using you have confused the board.  Since you got it working before, chances are you can get it working again, just try not to unplug it again if you can help it (shouldn't be hard since you are installing it internally).

By the way, this motherboard is also incompatible with the popular Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SATA expansion card.

Actually it works even if I replug the USB into the same USB port, so it's purely not detecting USB drives during its boot process, I would assume. I recall there's an option to speed up the boot process in BIOS and I have it enabled; any hunch that would potentially fix it?

• 1 month later...

So I had the same issue; Please insert bootable media, or some similar message.

I found this thread and disconnected, then re-connected the flash drive while the server was off (not touching the boot settings) and had no luck.

For the record, here's mine:

Advanced

___USB Configuration

_____USB Mass Storage Device Configuration

USB Mass Storage Reset Delay: 20 Sec

Device #1: SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro

Emulation Type: Auto

Boot

___Boot Device Priority

1st Device: Removable Dev.

2nd Device: Disabled

Options under 1st Device: Removable Dev., current cache disk, ATAPI CD-ROM, Disabled

It would be great to prevent the boot drive from doing this. I just changed the Emulation type to Forced FDD and got it to boot up.

It would be great to prevent the boot drive from doing this.

Agreed, but every motherboard is different, so there's no single solution.  The only way to avoid this issue altogether is to only use SATA expander cards that have the option to disable boot (such as disabling INT13 on SASLP cards) and then never use the motherboard's ports.  Not many people want to do that.

Archived