[Solved] 6.9.2 - Massive difference between PC app and unRAID docker usenet speeds

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong but no idea where to start, whether it's my docker settings, something fundamental to my unRAID OS configuration or something else . . .

My usenet provider Eweka supplies an app called NewsLazer - this consistently gives me between 5 and 6.5 MB/s download speeds when run from MacOS or Windows machines through my VPN Surfshark.

By contrast my Lidarr, Sonarr and Radarr dockers going through SABnzbd docker also configured with Surfshark, maxes out at 1.5 MB/s

Obviously there's something working properly with NewsLazer on a regular PC, that I've missed or botched with how I've set up unRAID - though despite it being about one quarter the speed, it is otherwise working perfectly reliably. I suspect if it was completely broken I'd figure it out, but I'm very new to all this and have not much clue where to start looking to tweak things?

Any ideas please?

Edited by awediohead
solution described

As I understand what I *think* I've done, I've set up Sab to download to a 500GB SSD which should in theory then move things onto the array once a week. Yes - just checked my last Lidarr download and it's definitely in mnt/cache/downloads/complete and there's over 400GB free on that SSD.

Obviously I don't expect 100MB/s download speeds with my ISP, but all the machines on my home network are on Gigabit Ethernet, so I know from testing that unRAID can serve media at appropriate speeds. I must have missed a setting that's throttling things on unRAID - I'm sure it's user error (i.e. me!)  so I'm not complaining - just a bit clueless where to start looking and scared of totally breaking by tweaking what I don't understand.

Just been through the SpaceInvader One video again double checking my SABnzbd set up and can't find any errors, so quite puzzled. Trying to compare to the NewsLazer app settings and it all seems much the same.

I don't really understand the difference but I'm fuzzily aware that Ibracorp's videos talk about 'atomic moves' and using a custom network - I did the custom network thing, but got very confused with the atomic moves and hard linking thing so left it as was, so possibly my problems stem from having a bit of a mish mash of stuff from Ed's videos (now 4 years old for SAB) and Ibracorps?

Again not blaming anyone except myself!!

Would having a custom network for docker containers (SAB, Lidarr, Radarr, Sonarr) slow anything down?

Yes it was set at 8 originally (default) and I upped it to the 50 Eweka permits a week or so ago - but that didn't change anything in terms of download speeds

I tried a different variant of the SABnzbd container and made a collossal fup of the process - not realising that I'd have to change the API's on all the 'arrs before I started and then made matters worse by trying to change from my SpaceInvader guided downloads structure to an 'atomic moves' structure following a tutorial which I only realised half way through was aimed at torrents not usenet. Lots to unscramble and fix before I'm the teeniest bit bothered about the difference between 1.5MB/s and 6MB/s - some is SO very much better than 0 !!!

Right - got everything back to at least functioning, though it's still stuck at 1.5 MB/s - interestingly the graphic in SABnzbd shows it 'thinks' it's at 75% of max speed at 1.5MB/s with the graphic chart saying 2000 or 2MB/s is 100% - though this maybe simply eye candy? I cannot for the life of me find anywhere that's throttling the speed to 2MB/s to make it something that SAB has registered as 100% on my system - and I've already heard that SAB itself is in no sense limited to these speeds. I even changed the General/Advanced setting in SAB to set a max speed of 10MB/s but that did nothing to the display or the speed.

I will have another crack at trying another SABnzbd variant, but I need to research how to backup/clone/snapshot where I'm at before I mess with it again!

Right just to kinda report on progress:  I've switched from sabnzbdvpn to NZBGet - I now routinely get the expected 6.5MB/s, sometimes a teeny bit higher overnight.

I'll mark this as solved even though I'd have preferred to figure out if I was doing something wrong with SAB to make it so slow.

Thanks

• awediohead changed the title to [Solved] 6.9.2 - Massive difference between PC app and unRAID docker usenet speeds