unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta6a Available

So I am upgrading from 5.0 beta 4 to beta6a, but I blew it and forgot to get a screen-grab of the current drive assignments.  I renamed the beta4 super.dat file so I still have it, but didn't save the beta4 binaries and I can't seem to find a download link for it.

Is there any way I can read the beta4 super.dat file manually? Or better yet a download for beta 4?  Thanks!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dimaestro: Are you using AFP, SMB, or NFS?  What version of OS X are you using? I'm having lots of problems mounting and/or keeping shares mounted (user shares, at least) on my Mac.

I'm running 10.6.7 I found OSX likes to autofind the SMB shares vs the AFP. So in my 'favorite servers' section of 'connect to server' I made a shortcut to afp://ip.of.server and hit that when I need it.

However, Speeding_Ant has made a script here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10274.0 that will auto mount AFP & SMB shares. I haven't tried it yet (work is insane) but plan on it this weekend. I was hoping AFP would solve the disconnects on sleep that I was experiencing, no luck there. However it did increase my wireless speed, from average 7 megs a second to an average now of 8 megs a second. I can live with that.

His script worked great for me in the beginning, but as soon as AFP started to shit the bed on me, the script didn't function the same.

The script is not to blame, it's something in this 5.0beta, or my laptop, or the configuration of something in the beta--because it did work flawlessly, then at some point, it stopped (this was prior to adding my TRENDnet switch--it may have been the Intel card I added.  I'm going to re-enable to the old NIC and see if there's a difference...

Just open the super.dat in a text editor, like Text Pad or Notepad++.

It'll be a bit jumbled, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to decipher what slots contained what drives, based on serial numbers.

I did this and while I could see all my drives listed, I couldn't make sense of which one is which.

Or type:

strings /path_to_old/super.dat

While a bit easier to read, I'm still not sure what is what.  Are they simply listed in order from Parity through to Cache?

This is what I see:

KmMNN
8Dpt
ST32000542AS_5XW1XKYR
Hitachi_HDT721010SLA360_STF604MR2903TP
Hitachi_HDT721010SLA360_STF604MR2B34XP
ST3750640AS_3QD0QBLC
ST3750640AS_3QD0Q9TR
WDC_WD10EACS-00D6B1_WD-WCAU45550258
x=TW
WDC_WD15EARS-00Z5B1_WD-WCAVU0452333
WDC_WD5000AAJS-22TKA0_WD-WCAPW5449900
x=TW
WDC_WD15EARS-00Z5B1_WD-WMAVU3012356
x=TW
WDC_WD15EADS-00S2B0_WD-WCAVY0907597
8Dpt
ST32000542AS_5XW1XP9F
Maxtor_6H500F0_H808PWZH
ST31000528AS_6VP25KSJ
WDC_WD5000KS-00MNB0_WD-WCANU1255870
WDC_WD5000AAJS-22TKA0_WD-WCAPW5639136
8Dpt
ST32000542AS_5XW16QBX
x=TW
WDC_WD15EADS-00S2B0_WD-WCAVY0776356
WDC_WD5000AAKS-00A7B0_WD-WCASY0208552
8Dpt
WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WMAZA1817430

I know for a fact that WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WMAZA1817430 is not my cache drive.

What is X=TW and 8Dpt?  Thanks!

I don't think the cache drive would be there at all.

The "strings" command prints what it thinks is readable strings of characters over a minimum length.  The extra stuff just happens to be ascii characters.

Other than that, I think the disks will be in order starting with parity.

Another file, if you saved it, is in the "config" folder.  It would be "disk.cfg"

It is a text file and is readable.

Do not assign your parity until you get all the other disks in place. You won't lose data as long as you don't assign the parity. You can assign the drives as data disks start the array. You can even assign the parity drive as a data disk and it will just appear to be unformatted. You should be able to look at the disk shares and figure out which disk is which, assuming you have certain shares on certain disks.

Of course, you still need to read through this thread and understand the disk partition issue, which I believe was introduced in b6. All the disks should have valid unRAID partitions on them, even the parity has a partition.

Peter

His script worked great for me in the beginning, but as soon as AFP started to shit the bed on me, the script didn't function the same.

The script is not to blame, it's something in this 5.0beta, or my laptop, or the configuration of something in the beta--because it did work flawlessly, then at some point, it stopped (this was prior to adding my TRENDnet switch--it may have been the Intel card I added.  I'm going to re-enable to the old NIC and see if there's a difference...

Are you getting frequent disconnects or loss of the ability to write to the share? I've seen where the security settings get confused. I've had to change them from public to secure then back to public to get them to work. Actually, I need to test this again to see if it *is* an issue - I thought it was me from when I initially set it up.

Another file, if you saved it, is in the "config" folder.  It would be "disk.cfg"

Yeah, I have this but it doesn't list the actual names of the disks.  This may have also been overwritten though when I booted up beta6a :-\

Forgive me but I'm looking for a little more solid an answer than "I think the disks will be in order".  Before assigning and starting up the array.  Is reinstalling beta4 out of the question?

Do not assign your parity until you get all the other disks in place. You won't lose data as long as you don't assign the parity. You can assign the drives as data disks start the array. You can even assign the parity drive as a data disk and it will just appear to be unformatted. You should be able to look at the disk shares and figure out which disk is which, assuming you have certain shares on certain disks.

Of course, you still need to read through this thread and understand the disk partition issue, which I believe was introduced in b6. All the disks should have valid unRAID partitions on them, even the parity has a partition.

Peter

Would it be detrimental if I don't assign these in the correct order?  The only one that really matters is the parity and cache (which I know for a fact is empty so that doesn't even matter).

I am aware of the parition issue, and I ran the script to get the disk_mbr_debug.txt. 

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I have this but it doesn't list the actual names of the disks.  This may have also been overwritten though when I booted up beta6a :-\

Forgive me but I'm looking for a little more solid an answer than "I think the disks will be in order".  Before assigning and starting up the array.  Is reinstalling beta4 out of the question?

Peter

Would it be detrimental if I don't assign these in the correct order?  The only one that really matters is the parity and cache (which I know for a fact is empty so that doesn't even matter).

I am aware of the parition issue, and I ran the script to get the disk_mbr_debug.txt. 

Thanks for the help!

Initially do not assign parity.  All the others should be able to be mounted.  Other than specific include/exclude rules you might have for a specific disk, it does not matter which data disk is assigned which data slot.

Okay that worked :)  I assigned all 20 disks to slots, one showed up as unformatted so I cleared the config and assigned that one to parity.  The array is online and doing a parity sync right now.

Every disk shows MBR: unaligned, and are green.  So I think I'm good.

Thanks again for the help!

Hi I installed yesterday 4.7 then 5.0-beta6a.

My disks (which are only be used in the unraid box) are "mbr unaligned"). So I have started the array and everything seem fine.

The only issue is that I had to deactivate all the unmenu plugin launched at start in order to be able to have a good webgui.

Any idea of the one who make the issue?

Best regards  guys ! :)

Is it possible to assign disks to different drives? I wanted to re-order my Norco cage, and also re-order the disks so left to right would be disk1, disk2, disk3, disk4, disk5, with the parity drive underneath.

If not possible, no big deal, I'll just order the drives in the cage by how they're assigned to a disk.

I attempted to change this, and was prompted with "Invalid disk" or "Wrong disk" or something like that, so I just switched it back..

My disks (which are only be used in the unraid box) are "mbr unaligned"). So I have started the array and everything seem fine.

The only issue is that I had to deactivate all the unmenu plugin launched at start in order to be able to have a good webgui.

What do you mean "have a good webgui"? Not sure I understand your issues.

The solution for the web-gui is simple:

see here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10840.msg103297#msg103297

Is it possible to assign disks to different drives? I wanted to re-order my Norco cage, and also re-order the disks so left to right would be disk1, disk2, disk3, disk4, disk5, with the parity drive underneath.

Current betas don't care which interface port each drive is attached to - you can shuffle them around to your heart's content.

I moved three drives from mobo interface to my newly-installed 8-port card.  unRAID didn't bat an eyelid - just started up and ran as normal.

Right, but I want to move the drives to different ports AND renumber their disk.

I want to do left to right largest to smallest drive, and left being disk1, disk2, disk3, etc..

But honestly who cares.  They were fine left to right disk1, disk2, disk3 before, so I'll just put them back to what they were.

Just confirmed BubbaQ's Cache disk partition bug.

My cache drive was partitioned only a few weeks ago with fdisk in linux.

The drive was identified fine, but after starting the array it was considered "unformatted" and the format button on the emhttp appeared.

This configuration has worked fine until Beta 6, but Beta 6a destroys the partition table.

Just lost all the data on the cache drive when the array was started,

but I have backups of the important stuff.

history of cache drive:

I partitioned a seagate (ST3160815AS) 160gb drive with cfdisk

primary partition 145,000MB device sdg1

second partition was 15,041MB device sdg2

mkreiserfs -l diskx /dev/sdg1 to format first partition and label it "diskx"

mkswap -L swap /dev/sdg2 to format the second partition and label it "swap"

Attached is the syslog

The cache drive is detected as "sdg"

After hitting the "start" button the log says

Mar  8 19:16:30 Tower emhttp: shcmd (38): /usr/local/sbin/set_ncq sdg 1 >/dev/null

Mar  8 19:16:30 Tower emhttp: writing mbr on disk 21 (sdg) with partition 1 offset 64

Can you give us an option NOT to repartition the drive? Or make it a part of the "format" button?

Thanks

I have just have the same issue as above when powering down the server then powering it back up. Using beta6a.

Not the end of the world, but is this something all are experiencing?

Regards,

Simpic

see here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10840.msg103297#msg103297

Hi JoeL and Defected07. I saw that afterward that I needed to erase php.

In order to make work Plex Media Server, I also needed to not install gcc and al from unmenu.

Actually, what would be awesome is an "5.0" version of unMenu whith 13.1 slackware packages ;):)

In order to make work Plex Media Server, I also needed to not install gcc and al from unmenu.

Actually, what would be awesome is an "5.0" version of unMenu whith 13.1 slackware packages ;):)

You are more than welcome to create a new .conf file for the newer version of gcc.  Just name it after the "gcc" version, put a new set of 13.1 URLS and MD5 checksums in it, and it should just work.  You can copy the existing compile .conf file and most of it will be exactly the same.

I advise AGAINST using anything from slackware/current, since the files there (in "current") change quickly and the file names will not be the same in a few months when they get replaced with newer versions.  If you can find/use a slackware/13.1/ hierarchy, it would be perfect.

Since I upgraded from 4.7 my server locks up during backup of a few VMs on my ESXi NFS store epxorted from the unraid server.

It happened now 2 times in a row. [...] There is nothing in the syslog at the time, but I can observe tons (150+) smbd processes in "D" state (from "man ps": Uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)). [...]

Here I see something similar, but with AFP and/or internal disk-to-disk copying. Whenever there is a lot of traffic in the server, there seems to be a danger of a process hanging in 'D'. I haven't observed this with Samba but I don't use it as heavily. This is on a dual core i5 system, btw.

You are more than welcome to create a new .conf file for the newer version of gcc.  Just name it after the "gcc" version, put a new set of 13.1 URLS and MD5 checksums in it, and it should just work.  You can copy the existing compile .conf file and most of it will be exactly the same.

I advise AGAINST using anything from slackware/current, since the files there (in "current") change quickly and the file names will not be the same in a few months when they get replaced with newer versions.   If you can find/use a slackware/13.1/ hierarchy, it would be perfect.

You can also have good luck using items from the Slackware 13.37 tree. Those versions should work equally well with the unRAID 5.x series.

I will actually do that first for Python I think (I'm using FlexGet so I need that) and I will give you the links.

For GCC, as soon as I need it I'll do it to if nobody has done it before :)