Windows VM restore from a snapshot possibility in unraid

Hi people,

i have a number of Unraid systems now and really happy with them but i've been only using them as NAS basically.

Hardware differs, but i usually use duckdns docker for VPN access with open VPN docker.

Now i started to explore VM options, and would like to know how to setup snapshots of VMs.

Basically what i want to achieve is number of Windows 10(it shouldn't matter tho) VM machines. that would make a snapshot every month or so.

and in case its needed ability to restore the snapshots remotely via Unraid without the need to physically be there.

is it possible to do using unraid? if so please enlighten me, more details the better.

29 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Thank you for the info!

now i am a total newb to the scripting part , especially if its linux ,

what and where would i even run a script to automatically create FULL snapshot and not incremental every lets say week?

i assume that is all i would actually need, then in case i need to restore a snapshot id just replace the Vdisk in the running path with the Vdisk from the backup path right>?

Edited by Xcage
22 minutes ago, Xcage said:

what and where would i even run a script to automatically create FULL snapshot and not incremental every lets say week?

You could use the user scripts plugin.

22 minutes ago, Xcage said:

then in case i need to restore a snapshot id just replace the Vdisk in the running path with the Vdisk from the backup path right>?

That or copy it on top of the VM vdisk replacing it.

9 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You could use the user scripts plugin.

Please guide me to where i can learn about different scripts i can run , or about common practices so i can start testing and see if what i want to achieve is actually possible

On 5/25/2021 at 9:48 AM, JorgeB said:

I can point you to the user scripts plugin thread, there are some examples there, but you'll need to adapt the scripts to your needs, google is another good place to start.

Thanks!

i did some digging and it works,

at first i did it manually with script , then found automatic plugin, now i dont know if we need to close this thread and open another one, since i do have another question regarding my whole setup and if its even optimal or can i ask stuff here?