Unraid 6.10 release date?

1 hour ago, ezhik said:

6.10 would be considered a major release, I wouldn't count it being until year end at the earliest.

Hmm, this is part of the 6.9.2 Announcement:

We have already begun the 6.10 cycle and should have a -beta1 available soon early next week (hopefully).

3 hours ago, hawihoney said:

Hmm, this is part of the 6.9.2 Announcement:

Betas are not releases though, they are considered pre-release and are mainly used for testing purposes. When you say release, you mean the stable version and that takes on average 12+ months. Mind you, major releases require major resources :)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ezhik said:

When you say release, you mean the stable version and that takes on average 12+ months. Mind you, major releases require major resources

I didn't say anything like that. I just posted a sentence from the 6.9.2 announcement without any further comment.

BTW, Plex betas usually take 24 hours <SCNR>.

12 hours ago, hawihoney said:

I didn't say anything like that. I just posted a sentence from the 6.9.2 announcement without any further comment.

BTW, Plex betas usually take 24 hours <SCNR>.

Right, the OP did. Apologies there, got mixed up.

On 5/26/2021 at 4:29 AM, ezhik said:

Betas are not releases though, they are considered pre-release and are mainly used for testing purposes. When you say release, you mean the stable version and that takes on average 12+ months. Mind you, major releases require major resources :)

Might that depend on how much of a "major" change?

It's been mentioned that 6.10 will introduce "fundamental changes to certain default settings".

That would be a major change, but it won't require nearly as much of development and testing, as say, an introduction of totaly new functionalities or features.

1 hour ago, Lolight said:

Might that depend on how much of a "major" change?

It's been mentioned that 6.10 will introduce "fundamental changes to certain default settings".

That would be a major change, but it won't require nearly as much of development and testing, as say, an introduction of totaly new functionalities or features.

When it comes to software development, ideally the structure would be:

6 - Major

9 - Minor

1 - Patch

--

With unRAID we have seen that Minor releases are treated as major and contain a lot of new features.

Edited by ezhik

Do not attempt to apply any typically accepted versioning or release methodology to Unraid's versioning. There is a long history of how things work around here with regards to releases and version numbers, I've learned to accept it and move on.

Limetech marches to the beat of a different drummer, and it's worked pretty well for them so far.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...