Dell R720 with PERC H710P flash to IT mode

18 minutes ago, Wiseone001 said:

As far so am aware that perc controller can do jbod out of the box why flash to it mode?
What is the main purpose? Doesn't that just make them sata drives?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I booted into Unraid and it wasn't showing any of the drives. I tried starting the array, but it wouldn't start. So i'm guessing that its bc the controller isn't in IT mode. I have 3x 450gb SAS drives and 13x 1tb SAS drives in it and none were showing.

5 minutes ago, parzival30 said:

I booted into Unraid and it wasn't showing any of the drives. I tried starting the array, but it wouldn't start. So i'm guessing that its bc the controller isn't in IT mode. I have 3x 450gb SAS drives and 13x 1tb SAS drives in it and none were showing.

im running the r610 with H700 controller in its native format, i think you just need to configure them as jbod, and then initialize them for teh system to see each individual drive as an active member.  this is what i had to do with mine on two different servers.. 

hope that helps, i prefer the dell controllers over the ibm controllers.. had to swap out to an adaptec controller for my 16 x 1TB drives in my IBM 3650 M3... pita but working great now

GL 

Bill

20 minutes ago, Wiseone001 said:

im running the r610 with H700 controller in its native format, i think you just need to configure them as jbod, and then initialize them for teh system to see each individual drive as an active member.  this is what i had to do with mine on two different servers.. 

hope that helps, i prefer the dell controllers over the ibm controllers.. had to swap out to an adaptec controller for my 16 x 1TB drives in my IBM 3650 M3... pita but working great now

GL 

Bill

Thanks Bill! I'll give that a shot. 

7 hours ago, parzival30 said:

I wish i would have tried the jbod solution before I flashed it, but either way it is working now.

The jbod isn't ideal, it hamstrings Unraid's drive health monitoring and reporting. Plus if you move the drive to another controller, you aren't guaranteed a seamless transfer like you are moving between IT mode controllers.

IT mode makes everything with Unraid work better.