Windows 10 21H1 very poor performance while running as a bare metal VM

Hi I recently had to reinstall Windows to my nvme drive to get the latest update which is 21h1, since then all the games I passed through to my RTX 2060 only get around 18 frames a second when I was previously getting over 50 on Windows 10 v1909

I have Windows installed directly to the nvme and point the VM configuration to that drive I have not changed the resources allocated or anything other than throwing a couple of extra cores towards it after I discovered massive input lag and high CPU usage by pretty much every piece of software installed

If I shut down and boot directly to Windows everything's fast and snappy so it leads me to believe there's something wrong with qemu or hypervisor for the latest M$ has to offer. 

Attached to my diagnostics but my VM configuration is pretty straightforward

Core 0/HT reserved for unraid 

i7 8700 with cores 1-5 and HT

16GB ram/48GB

Pass through of a PCIe usb 3 card and RTX 2060

I boot the VM directly to the NVMe

Running unraid 6.9.2

Attached are the diagnostics 

freya-diagnostics-20210525-1120.zip

hi,

My vm is only to play games.

not an expert, but i got issue too with performance on windows 10 1809, with my old vm after upgrading 6.8 => 6.9

was it a vm running on 6.8.3 before ?

did you use last i440fx ?

to solve my issue, i re created a new vm, with seabisos, cpu isolated, i440fx, hyper V => yes, last VirtIO Drivers...re install a new fresh windows 10 1809, PCIe ACS Override setting to OFF....... pb solved

maybe try to not be on 1909 if this is the bottlenet performance io.

hope this help a bit.

Edited by ibasaw
6 hours ago, ibasaw said:

hi,

My vm is only to play games.

not an expert, but i got issue too with performance on windows 10 1809, with my old vm after upgrading 6.8 => 6.9

was it a vm running on 6.8.3 before ?

did you use last i440fx ?

to solve my issue, i re created a new vm, with seabisos, cpu isolated, i440fx, hyper V => yes, last VirtIO Drivers...re install a new fresh windows 10 1809, PCIe ACS Override setting to OFF....... pb solved

maybe try to not be on 1909 if this is the bottlenet performance io.

hope this help a bit.

I am using OVMF with i440 5.1

I have to use OVMF as I am running bare metal windows on an NVMe meaning no support for legacy bios/seabios

1909 ran great all games ran perfect as did the OS, got notification 1909 was no longer supported so no more security updates would be coming through...wierdly Cyber Punk 2077 ran great until Jan 2021 then it went to max 13fps on all resolutions and all settings, as soon as i shut down and boot directly to windows off the NVMe CP2077 runs fine

I chop that up to an update from them that breaks virtualization of the game.

so I did try to update to 21H1 over the 1909 but it kept failing, after a few days i deceided to wipe and load windows from scratch...i installed it through a USB stick i made with it directly to the NVMe with the drive pulled and the unraid USB removed so like a normal windows install. I got all my programs and drivers then grabbed the UUID so i could update my VM config with it...shut down and connected drives and booted back into unraid, updated UUID and started VM, CPUs are pinned for a long time after start up with nothing going on Chrome was bad all 8 threads pin to 100% as long as its running, test CP2077 getting 1-2fps....I try Destiny 2 13fps (previously getting 50-60 on max settingst at 2560x1440@60Hz)

I went back to bare metal windows and tried both games again and they run perfectly

So i suspect Windows 21H1 breaks something in virtualization and QEMU and Hypp-V will need an update to run smoothly with Win

in Meantime i am in process of moving all my data to my main unraid server then shutting this one down and booting straight to winodws the mouse lag is horrible right now and the mouse is USB to a passed through USB card so a l cant really use to to look for work or edit my resume as I was using it for...

10 hours ago, ncandy said:

I had similar issues with Win10 after upgrading to 6.9.2.  For me, disabling Hyper-V in Windows did the trick:  

Might be worth a shot.

I tried that and Windows wouldn't boot....I have at least temporarily retired my secondary server and may not go back the windows machine is running sooooo much faster than even 1909 did in the VM before the sluggishing post here

I got nearly the same situation. My VM as is runs okish. But when downloading within it or copying/moving files over the network. My Win 10 VM gets unresponsivness and nearly unusable while downloading or moving files from the Network-Share.

My VM got passedthrough 8 Cores (No "Hyperthreading" ones). 16GB of RAM (no balloning). RX580 and a passedthrough SSD 500GB. When I download or copying/moving files from the share or downloading games through steam my system gets really sluggish unresponsive and usuable till the download / file transfer is finished...

I already reinstalled it switched from if440 to Q35, disabled Hyper-V and all other suggesstions but nothing seems to fix my problem.

Also it seems to be a Microsoft / Windows problem because my MacOS Big Sur VM runs fast and fine...

Edited by RiDDiX