Can't Access Unraid Share on Win10

I installed Unraid on a HP Gen10 Microserver with four hard drives and one USB key. I created a private share but wasn't able to access it from my Windows 10 computers. I enabled/forced CIFS 1.0, reset the stored credentials, unpublished and then republished the shares, allowed guest logons through lanman, and enabled NTLM. None of this has worked. Just really wondering why I can't access the private shares. The public shares and the flash drive both show up just fine.

Read this post and the next few in this thread.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

Please be aware that Windows will often log you into to a server without your knowledge.  And be sure to check if there are any Window's Credentials for your server stored in the Credential Manager on your Windows PC. 

Edited by Frank1940
18 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Try connecting to the share using \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\Sharename instead of \\SERVERNAME\Sharename.

There is an indication that this backdoor may be closed in the future...

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/77442-cannot-connect-to-unraid-shares-from-windows-10/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-993491

I have only seen this one time but that patch has only been out for a couple of weeks.  Something to be aware of...

13 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Thanks for pointing that out. There goes another troubleshooting trick.

Plus, as @lococola pointed out, it was a way to have completely private access to a Private share while the 'main' user had access to other Secure and Public shares.  (At least, it was hidden from most people who might have access to the computer.  Doubly so if it was a 'Hidden Private' share.  It would take someone who knew the share existed and how to look for it.)

Edited by Frank1940
On 5/25/2021 at 8:10 PM, darkmeridian said:

I enabled/forced CIFS 1.0, reset the stored credentials, unpublished and then republished the shares, allowed guest logons through lanman, and enabled NTLM.

Err?  All of that is probably why nothing worked.  Ripping Win10 apart and downgrading it to a broken old protocol is not the best trick in the book.  There seems to be a strange idea from some Linux hacks that dismantling security and putting back to the previous century's broken standards is a good idea.

Win10 will work out of the box.  Untouched.  UNRAID is happy to talk Win10's language.  Just set the share to private\secure\public as per the manual.  Select the user to have read\write as needed.  And all will be well.  That's all I needed to do an I am no UNRAID expert.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:01 PM, Frank1940 said:

There is an indication that this backdoor may be closed in the future...

Using the IP Address is not a "back door".  That is walking in the front door but without some daft human friendly name attached.

The hack to get the username recognised doesn't seem too weird with WORKGROUPNAME attached.  Think i have seen it before.  Certainly see it with MACHINENAME\USERNAME paired.  You are just telling Windows where to find that variant of a username when there is a clash.  Or could be a knock on from all those other switches you hit at random.  My main investigation would be retyping workgroup names \ check they are all in caps on all computers on the network, reboot all of them.  These seems to imply a clash of usernames or slightly different WorkGroup Capitals. 

Are you logging into the Win10 box as a local user?  Or with a Windows account?  Both can mess with your SMB name in unexpected ways.  Though you should still get the login prompt.  I wonder if this is why being more specific on your username worked?  I expect \UNRAIDSERVERNAME\USERNAME would also work in a similar way.

Did you look into "Credential Manager" On win10?  See what it had stored for that server?  Including the capitals?

Be aware that Win10 may well attempt to heal itself of those downgrading of the SMB security.  I know I have turned on SMB 1.0 for old printer shares for people before, only for a bigger Win10 upgrade to come along and turn it back off again.

I would strongly suggest undoing some of those old hacks and let Win10 and UNRAID talk clean SMB 2\3 or whatever they need.  Trying to talk the old protocols will lead to confusions on both sides.

Though ultimately - who cares how you got there.  It works now.  :D 

Edited by Batter Pudding
LOL - lots of re-writes as I thought more about this..
  • Like 2