[Plugin] CoreFreq

10 minutes ago, hammsandwich said:

I do have a firewall between Unraid and the internet, just check the logs and I allow github traffic.  I see no denies.  I also have PiHole, and just mainly the default block lists with a few regex filters, but also checked those logs and there are no blocks either. 

The problem with that is that Unraid needs exclusive access to the internet on boot without any blocking software infront of it because the plugin needs modules that are compiled speciflicy for the corresponding Unraid version you are running and the plugin also checks if there is a active internet connection on boot and tries to ping the google servers for 30 seconds.

This only applies to other plugins and not only this and not only plugins that I've created.

On 6/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, ich777 said:

Thank you I'm currently collecting the diagnostics to create later a Github issue if I got a little more responses.

What kind of Server are you running? Is this a pre built one?

Sorry for the slow response. It's a white box server. E5-2660v0 running in a SuperMicro X9SRi-3F motherboard with 32GB ECC reg etc.

• Thanks 1
On 6/2/2021 at 10:24 AM, ich777 said:

The problem with that is that Unraid needs exclusive access to the internet on boot without any blocking software infront of it because the plugin needs modules that are compiled speciflicy for the corresponding Unraid version you are running and the plugin also checks if there is a active internet connection on boot and tries to ping the google servers for 30 seconds.

This only applies to other plugins and not only this and not only plugins that I've created.

I don't see any blocks at the firewall or PiHole..  I allow all github traffic and use stock PiHole so I do not think these are causing issues but will check again.

11 hours ago, ich777 said:

But do you run PiHole or your Firewall on Unraid.

Oh I apologize I didn't understand the question initially.  No, I run both on other hardware with no reliance on Unraid, so rebooting Unraid would have no impact on internet access to any devices on my network. 

10 minutes ago, hammsandwich said:

Oh I apologize I didn't understand the question initially.  No, I run both on other hardware with no reliance on Unraid, so rebooting Unraid would have no impact on internet access to any devices on my network. 

Then I really can't tell why it's taking so much longer since the plugin is only 5MB in size and is installed very fast.

But anyways I think that something is preventing the plugin from pinging Google (8.8.8.8) and this would make the boot process about 30 seconds longer since it gives up after about 30 seconds.

25 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Then I really can't tell why it's taking so much longer since the plugin is only 5MB in size and is installed very fast.

But anyways I think that something is preventing the plugin from pinging Google (8.8.8.8) and this would make the boot process about 30 seconds longer since it gives up after about 30 seconds.

You are absolutely correct. After enabling additional firewall logging and reinstalling the plugin and rebooting, I am seeing Blocks on the firewall from Unraid to 8.8.8.8 on ICMP.  Added to outbound rules and that helped with speed of install and booting.

I plan on disabling BIOS OC this weekend to see if that resolves my VM stability issue.

Edited by hammsandwich
  • Like 1
On 5/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, ich777 said:

Have you installes a custom build with the gnif vendor reset patch installed?

When does this happen? Right after you installed the plugin? After the reboot is the plugin installed?

Hi, its basic installation. No gnif vendor rest patch. It happens right after installation before reboot. After reboot the plugin is not installed. 

• Thanks 1

Set BIOS OC back to AUTO, only have RAM OC applied.  I am unable to change my CPU Freq past 3800 Mhz on my 5800X.  When I attempt to load the CPU-FREQ driver or the CPU-IDLE driver, I get this following message:

image.thumb.png.2bb537cd48bc42fc0f28a79dc23db9ca.png

Here is what my Max Freq option looks like

image.thumb.png.70316abcc014e0692cf127ceeeccb340.png

The rest of the freq options looks similar, they all show the same freq even thought i have disabled turbo through the plugin.

Uploading diagnostics...

hammsandwich-diagnostics-20210606-0843.zip

50 minutes ago, hammsandwich said:

Sure thing,  Just to confirm, I don't haveto manually start the daemon, just run the corefreq-cli?

Yes, the plugin downloads and installs the version for your specific CPU (AMD/Intel).

Yes, the plugin starts the daemon.

Without the daemon corefreq-cli wouldn't start anyways and you would be presented with an error message when calling corefreq-cli.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 9:10 AM, CyrIng said:

Hello Unraid,

If you're facing some difficulties with Corefreq, feel free to ask me:

github.com/cyring/CoreFreq/discussions

CyrIng

Confirming based on your github documentation the Zen 3 platform, i.e. 5800X is currently not supported?

Edited by hammsandwich
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, nickp85 said:

whole system locked up while installing this plugin. VMs died, GUI and SSH unresponsive. Server even dropped off my router as being connected. Had to force a reboot and when it came back CoreFreq was not installed. Posting diagnostic as requested.

nicknas2-diagnostics-20210706-1749.zip 118.33 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for the report! Will contact @CyrIng on that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issues as nickp86

I thought it was my GPU but now I'm coming across others (link below, as well as Nick) who have had issues mirroring mine:

r/unRAID/comments/nqvrhc/windows_vm_crashing_vfio_bar_restore_reset

Diag attached
Removing the plugin (so far) hasn't resolved my issues, but they started around the time when i installed it and my symptoms are very similar to other's (lose network connection, server lockups, VM crashes or system crashes, etc)

helios-alpha-diagnostics-20210715-1936.zip

52 minutes ago, veizour said:

Are there any modifications or things installed that may not get un-done or uninstalled by removing the plugin?

Thanks for your time.

I removed the plugin, still had the same issues.

I added it, then removed it again, and now everything's working fine.

Some of the things I was doing to compensate (including turning off C-States) I was able to undo (now all C States are auto in bios and no c-state settings are forced in GO file) and everything works great now.

3 hours ago, veizour said:

Removing the plugin (so far) hasn't resolved my issues, but they started around the time when i installed it and my symptoms are very similar to other's (lose network connection, server lockups, VM crashes or system crashes, etc)

What was the exact problem here?

3 hours ago, veizour said:

Are there any modifications or things installed that may not get un-done or uninstalled by removing the plugin?

If you uninstall the plugin everything gets removed, have rebooted in between?

Yes, I'd removed the plugin, rebooted and was getting the same performance issues in Win10 VM as I was before (the issue where I'd lose network connection wasn't tested, seeing as it appeared to be random over the course of a day or days).

I added the plugin back, then removed it and rebooted again and it seemed to work then. Maybe there was a permissions issue or something?

I don't recall seeing an error during removal (just the same removal msg I saw the second time).

Either way, things seem to be working fine now.

No more VM latency and the server has been on for 24hrs now w/o network issues... time will tell.

Only issue I have now is a D3 issue but I equate that to the new video card. I don't believe it has anything to do with the plugin.

I'd purchased a new video card cause I didn't think it was the plugin till I came across the post and Nick's post. Up until that point, I thought it was my video card going bad. Oh well... live, learn, enjoy 3070 TI >.<