[Plugin] CoreFreq

5 hours ago, CyrIng said:

@ich777 Version 1.91.7 is fixing the Monitoring issue with Pcores only Alder Lake

Already saw that my server built it for the stable branch from Unraid, I've now also triggered the build for the next branch from Unraid and it's already built now.

@chchiyan to update your CoreFreq version simply reboot Unraid and it should download the newer version on boot (as long as if you have a active internet connection on boot), if not uninstall the plugin and reinstall it from the CA App and it will grab the new version.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, CyrIng said:

@ich777 can you confirm if that change is part of the plug-in ? 

Hmmm, seems it went something wrong with the build itself which is a little bit odd because it can't switch to 1.91.7 when building:

error: pathspec '1.91.7' did not match any file(s) known to git

Anyways I've rebuilt the packages again for Unraid 6.11.0-rc4 (and made sure that it switched successful to 1.91.7 this time) and it should now work.

@chchiyan please remove the plugin once more and re-download it from the CA App.

Triggered the build for Unraid stable 6.10.3 just now, will take a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having two issues with this plugin.

First one is it fails to install on restart as it wants to download the package every time. Problem is my server runs OpnSENSE so it either needs to wait 5 minutes or it needs to store the package locally.

Second one is that it takes a few attempts to install it and not get a blank page for its settings. No errors in syslog so difficult to see what is going on..!

1 minute ago, Interstellar said:

First one is it fails to install on restart as it wants to download the package every time.

That's definitely not the case, it checks for updates on restart, why not set the DNS to something static for the Server itself?

4 minutes ago, Interstellar said:

Second one is that it takes a few attempts to install it and not get a blank page for its settings. No errors in syslog so difficult to see what is going on..!

Can you please describe this a little bit more in depth?

Do you mean to activate it or do you mean to install it from the CA App? Do you click something on the plugin page or what do you mean exactly?

47 minutes ago, ich777 said:

That's definitely not the case, it checks for updates on restart, why not set the DNS to something static for the Server itself?

DNS/IP/etc is fixed, it's just there is no internet until the VM starts. Plugins are installed before the VM starts/finishes booting up so it'll always fail this step. It then moves it into the "Failed to Install" tab of the plugins window.

See log for what happens:

Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: plugin: installing: corefreq.plg
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: plugin: checking: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz - MD5
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: plugin: skipping: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz already exists
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: plugin: running: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: 
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: +==============================================================================
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: +==============================================================================
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: 
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: Verifying package CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz.
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: Installing package CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz:
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: Package CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz installed.
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: plugin: creating: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/CoreFreq/README.md - from INLINE content
Dec  4 19:42:53 tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Dec  4 19:42:58 tower root: 
Dec  4 19:42:58 tower root: ------ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR--------
Dec  4 19:42:58 tower root: ---Can't get latest CoreFreq version and found no local package!---
Dec  4 19:42:58 tower root: 
Dec  4 19:42:58 tower root: plugin: run failed: /bin/bash
Dec  4 19:42:58 tower root: Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

47 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you please describe this a little bit more in depth?

Do you mean to activate it or do you mean to install it from the CA App? Do you click something on the plugin page or what do you mean exactly?

When you go to Settings, then corefreq, it is a blank page other than the normal header/footer.

I tried installing it from CA, hit done, when to the settings page --> Blank

Removed it from Plugins page, installed it via the plugins link instead --> Blank page again

Removing it, reinstalling it again from CA and waiting more than 30 seconds after the "Post Plugins Check" line appears seems to allow it to complete whatever it needs to do to work as the normal page appeared for me after that. I did not that when removing it the second time it did say it wouldn't find a few things, which if the page/icons/etc weren't installed then that would explain the blank page.

I.e. Maybe worth adding a check at the end of the script to make sure the page etc have actually been installed?

5 minutes ago, Interstellar said:

DNS/IP/etc is fixed, it's just there is no internet until the VM starts.

Sorry, I somehow missed that that OPNsense is running on your server as a VM (that‘s from my oppinion a real bad thing to do but that‘s only my oppinion).

6 minutes ago, Interstellar said:

It then moves it into the "Failed to Install" tab of the plugins window.

This shouldn‘t be the case and I have to look into this why it‘s failing.

7 minutes ago, Interstellar said:

When you go to Settings, then corefreq, it is a blank page other than the normal header/footer.

That‘s because the plugin is maybe not fully uninstalled. Have to look into this.

8 minutes ago, Interstellar said:

I.e. Maybe worth adding a check at the end of the script to make sure the page etc have actually been installed?

Can you please post your Diagnostics after you‘ve done all the steps mentioned above?

8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Sorry, I somehow missed that that OPNsense is running on your server as a VM (that‘s from my oppinion a real bad thing to do but that‘s only my oppinion).

Not sure why you'd think that. I've had it running on there for years. I did briefly have it running on a Thin Client alongside but then why have two devices running 24/7 instead of one? Also couldn't support full FTTP line speed unless I spent more £ than the server was actually worth so what's the point? :D (Plus another 5W of power draw...!)

8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

This shouldn‘t be the case and I have to look into this why it‘s failing.

That‘s because the plugin is maybe not fully uninstalled. Have to look into this.

Can you please post your Diagnostics after you‘ve done all the steps mentioned above?

Next time I encounter the problem I will 👍

9 hours ago, Interstellar said:

Not sure why you'd think that.

Because you are relying on the virtualization system, I've had some pretty bad experiences with that (not me but a small local company) and well because of your issue now.

I've done a lot of research in the past because I was facing something similar situation and read a lot about the up and downsides, I also link another topic: Click

Sure you can run it in a VM but I will never recommend that because I've come to the conclusion that a Firewall on bare metal is always a better than virtualized one, this is a really controversial topic btw. because some people are really quickly upset (I'm not one of them but I want to only point things out)... :D

Also couldn't support full FTTP line speed unless I spent more £ than the server was actually worth so what's the point? :D (Plus another 5W of power draw...!)

Newer Firewall Boxes that you can find on Amazon for example can that too and my Firewall only consumes about 5 to 10 Watt, also don't forget that if you have a PCIe card passed through to the VM the PCIe card will also need some power... ;)

Anyways, that has nothing to do with this issue...

Next time I encounter the problem I will 👍

I will look into this and try it on a machine that I can physically disconnect from the LAN interface or forbid to talk to to Internet and see what is happening there.

Thank you for the report!

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Because you are relying on the virtualization system, I've had some pretty bad experiences with that (not me but a small local company) and well because of your issue now.

I've done a lot of research in the past because I was facing something similar situation and read a lot about the up and downsides, I also link another topic: Click

Sure you can run it in a VM but I will never recommend that because I've come to the conclusion that a Firewall on bare metal is always a better than virtualized one, this is a really controversial topic btw. because some people are really quickly upset (I'm not one of them but I want to only point things out)... :D

Looking at those links it looks like they are talking about bridging NICs etc which may cause security concerns, that is not how mine is setup.

I have two cores isolated, dedicated to the VM and the PCI-E NIC isolated and passed through to the VM, so it's not really as they are describing at all..!

In any case, off topic..!

Once installed, corefreq seems to work perfectly for me. I change the TDP limits from the UI which is very useful!

Edited by Interstellar
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Still getting the issue where I have to manually install it after start.

The error during boot and no Corefreq icon in settings:

Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: plugin: checking: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz - MD5
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: plugin: skipping: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz already exists
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: plugin: running: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: 
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: +==============================================================================
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: +==============================================================================
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: 
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: Verifying package CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz.
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: Installing package CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz:
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: Package CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz installed.
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: plugin: creating: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/CoreFreq/README.md - from INLINE content
Jan 26 19:25:25 tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Jan 26 19:25:29 tower root: 
Jan 26 19:25:29 tower root: ------ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR - ERROR--------
Jan 26 19:25:29 tower root: ---Can't get latest CoreFreq version and found no local package!---
Jan 26 19:25:29 tower root: 
Jan 26 19:25:29 tower root: plugin: run failed: /bin/bash
Jan 26 19:25:30 tower root: Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Then after I try manually installing it again once the internet is back I get the Settings Icon and a blank page:

Jan 26 19:27:59 tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Jan 26 19:27:59 tower root: plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz - downloading from URL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/unraid-corefreq/master/packages/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz
Jan 26 19:27:59 tower root: plugin: checking: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz - MD5
Jan 26 19:27:59 tower root: plugin: running: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz
Jan 26 19:27:59 tower root: plugin: creating: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/CoreFreq/README.md - from INLINE content
Jan 26 19:27:59 tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Jan 26 19:28:04 tower root: plugin: corefreq.plg installed

Then I have to remove and install it again and it finally works:

Jan 26 19:29:20 tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Jan 26 19:29:20 tower root: plugin: corefreq.plg removed
Jan 26 19:29:25 tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Jan 26 19:29:25 tower root: plugin: creating: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz - downloading from URL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/unraid-corefreq/master/packages/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz
Jan 26 19:29:25 tower root: plugin: checking: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz - MD5
Jan 26 19:29:25 tower root: plugin: running: /boot/config/plugins/corefreq/CoreFreq-2022.07.21.txz
Jan 26 19:29:25 tower root: plugin: creating: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/CoreFreq/README.md - from INLINE content
Jan 26 19:29:25 tower root: plugin: running: anonymous
Jan 26 19:29:27 tower root: plugin: corefreq.plg installed
Jan 26 19:29:37 tower  emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/CoreFreq/include/test.sh
Jan 26 19:29:38 tower kernel: corefreqk: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
Jan 26 19:29:38 tower kernel: CoreFreq(3:-1:-1): Processor [ 06_9E] Architecture [Coffee Lake/S] CPU [6/6]

Very easy for you to test this, boot your server without an active internet connection. Its 100% repeatable for me.

• 3 weeks later...