Parity check error and docker updates not available

5 hours ago, itimpi said:

At the moment you have to manually search the syslog for the affected sectors (it will typically be near the end if you have just run a check).

I was intending to add a button on the input page that would scan the syslog and pop up a dialog with any sectors found so that it is much easier to both know what sectors are involved and to make it easier to select them.  I had been waiting on some feedback on people trying to use this assistant and finding it useful before putting the work in to implement that option.  Sounds as if it is definitely going to be wanted :) 

Looks like you added an extra 0 on the end.   I will improve the error message to include the acceptable range which might help with picking this up.

I'm counting 11 digits for the sector. That's what I thought I put in. 

That popup box would be helpful. 

@omartian

My server is not runnig all times.

@Do you disable spin down for parity checks or at all times?

I disable spin down for all times.

@Also, if you got an error this way, do you run a correcting check afterwards?

After clear stats, my disk a all green without errors.

All my data are fine.

@If your disks are spinning all the time, isn't that bad for longevity?

The most problem for hdd's is heat and shock.

@docker updates not available!

Make sure your dns service is on 1.1.1.1 or 8.4.8.8.

Edited by Tigerherz
On 6/1/2021 at 2:50 AM, itimpi said:

It has just occurred to me that if you have the Parity Check Tuning plugin installed then you might be able to investigate this far more rapidly using it's Tools -> Parity Problem Assistant feature?  That feature was developed for exactly your scenario but I have never had any feedback on how useful it turns out to be in practice so would be interested to get some (plus any suggestions for making it more useful).

Hi.

Having some issues w/the plugin.  I thought my first issue was bc i started a parity check after my 6 error run and then aborted it so the plugin was trying to utilize info from the aborted check.  So I ran a non-correcting check (attached below) while also keeping an eye on my percentages and when the errors occured. 

I completed this non-correcting check w/1 error.  So at 72.3% i had 0 errors, at 81.9% i had 1 error.   At 72.3% all disks were spinning except d1, d2, d3. at 81.9%, the only disks that were spinning at 81.9% were my 2 parity drives and disk 7.  

per my syslog it looks like it happened at sector = 20466240808

Jun  4 00:32:22 Nasgard kernel: md: recovery thread: Q incorrect, sector=20466240808

I used these percentages and hit apply and the start check. It then removes my starting percentage from the field.  It never initiates the check.

When i put in a start and end sector of 20466240600 and 20466241000, respectively, i get the same error of "End point too large

The end has been set to more than the size of the disk."

Am i doing something wrong?

Wanted to get this working and have disks continuing to spin up

1 error noncorrect 6042021.zip

Edited by omartian
clarification

Let me see if I can work out what is happening.  As far as I know you are the first person to try and use this feature in anger (other than me in testing) so it is quite possible there is an error in the input value validation.

Edit:  Seems in validating the maximum sectors allowed I forgot to allow for the fact that Unraid reports the size of the parity disk in 1024 byte units while sectors are only 512 bytes.   I will get this fixed and issue an updated plugin.

9 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Let me see if I can work out what is happening.  As far as I know you are the first person to try and use this feature in anger (other than me in testing) so it is quite possible there is an error in the input value validation.

Edit:  Seems in validating the maximum sectors allowed I forgot to allow for the fact that Unraid reports the size of the parity disk in 1024 byte units while sectors are only 512 bytes.   I will get this fixed and issue an updated plugin.

Very cool. But the % option should still work, right?  Not sure why that one isn't going through. 

1 minute ago, omartian said:

Very cool. But the % option should still work, right?  Not sure why that one isn't going through. 

No, because under the covers this gets converted to sector numbers for validation.  Because I am out by a factor of 2 on the maximum sector allowed any percent above 50 falls foul of the same problem.

22 hours ago, Tigerherz said:

@omartian

My server is not runnig all times.

@Do you disable spin down for parity checks or at all times?

I disable spin down for all times.

@Also, if you got an error this way, do you run a correcting check afterwards?

After clear stats, my disk a all green without errors.

All my data are fine.

@If your disks are spinning all the time, isn't that bad for longevity?

The most problem for hdd's is heat and shock.

@docker updates not available!

Make sure your dns service is on 1.1.1.1 or 8.4.8.8.

So when i go under the main page and click each individual disk, there is an option for "spin down delay", is that what you set to "never"?  or is there an option to do it for all the disks at one time for all disks?

On 6/3/2021 at 5:04 AM, Tigerherz said:

I had similar problems.

It was a problem with spin down disks.

I set spin down in disksettings to never

and clear stats on the mainpage.

I think my controller has a problem with spin down.

Did you notice this issue after an unraid update or has it always been the case?

1 hour ago, omartian said:

Ahh.  Ok looking forward to the update

I have pushed an update that should now correctly handles the maximum sector number and no longer incorrectly tells you a sector number is too large when it is not.

There is a bug still in the GUI in that you have to press the Apply button to save the settings you have just set up before hitting the "Start Check" option.  This is needed to tell other parts of the plugin what range you have set.   I need make a change to disable that button until the settings have been saved.

You will see I have also added a button that later will help with getting the sector number out of the syslog but at the moment this is not activated to do anything.

Please report anything else you notice as feedback always helps with picking up any bugs I missed or giving suggestions for improvement.

• 4 weeks later...