[Support] Breadlysm - SpeedFlux

Overview: Support for the docker container SpeedFlux. SpeedFlux continuously runs SpeedTests and Latency tests on your network and stores the data in InfluxDB. 

App Name: SpeedFlux

App: https://github.com/breadlysm/speedtest-to-influxdb

GitHub Containerhttps://github.com/users/breadlysm/packages/container/package/speedflux

Feel free to leave feedback or suggest improvements. Here or a GitHub issue works. 

I attempted to install this.  During the install the influxdb username and password fields could not be left blank, they required information to be added, which caused my authentication with influxdb to fail.  To complete the install I ended up deleting those two variables and recreating them, so they could be left blank.

1 hour ago, mattekure said:

I attempted to install this.  During the install the influxdb username and password fields could not be left blank, they required information to be added, which caused my authentication with influxdb to fail.  To complete the install I ended up deleting those two variables and recreating them, so they could be left blank.

That was an oversight on the template. The code already accepts blank user and password as you found. I did just fix the template though for future users so that those are no longer required. 

Oddly enough this is the only time anything has ever crashed my entire UnRaid machine.  

I installed it, watched the logs, saw I had a bad Influx connection on my end and then fixed it.  I saw data being written and then fired up my grafana instance and got that dashboard setup.  I noticed my network was offline so I checked unraid and it was 100% offline, the last thing I saw in the GUI which was locked up was 100% cpu usage across the board.  I thought it was a weird fluke so I went downstairs, rebooted the server and got back into grafana to play.  The crash happened again 5 mts later.  I changed the test time to 15 mts and it happened again in 15 mts.  

Thats way more unsafe shutdowns in 30 mts than I've had in years so I stopped the docker container and I've been running fine since.  

It may be coincidence, it may be my setup, but I wanted to at least comment about my experience in case it happened to anybody else.  

@diymatt Thanks for sharing and that's definitely weird. What you're describing sounds like some kind of infinite loop. 

Were you attempting to install before or after 3pm Eastern time? I'm wondering if a small change I made earlier introduced some type of unforgiving loop or if something screwy was happening before. Unfortunately I don't have a lot to look through to try and identify it what caused it but, it happening right when a test ran is a breadcrumb at least. If there's any other details you have, i'd be interested. 

Obviously I don't want it crashing entire machines.  It's probably worth me adding log files that persist so they aren't destroyed with a container. 

Awesome docker, i notice from your dashboard screenshot you had multiple servers, when i expand the extra params i see we can set a ookla ID, but im guessing only 1, is this correct?

EDIT: when i try multiple it doesnt use any, is this by design is my question.

Edited by Natcoso9955
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am getting auth issues. Looking at the SpeedFlux log:

2022-02-08 14:47:05,474 [DEBUG] Starting new HTTP connection (1): 192.168.0.12:8086
2022-02-08 14:47:05,477 [DEBUG] http://192.168.0.12:8086 "GET /query?q=SHOW+DATABASES HTTP/1.1" 401 48
("Couldn't initiate InfluxDB <2", InfluxDBClientError('401: {"code":"unauthorized","message":"Unauthorized"}'))

I have run an InfluxDb container. When I first accessed it it prompted me to create a user, bucket and organisation which I did. Then when I setup the Speedtest container I entered the user & password that I have just created

However, the fact that SpeedFlux talks about "databases" makes me think that SpeedFlux is using the v1 InfluxDb API which is apparently not available in the latest InfluxDb container image without some work. Maybe that is what the "<2" in the log message above means.

Is anyone using SpeedFlux with the latest version of InfluxDb?

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 5:12 PM, writablevulture said:

I am getting auth issues. Looking at the SpeedFlux log:

I have run an InfluxDb container. When I first accessed it it prompted me to create a user, bucket and organisation which I did. Then when I setup the Speedtest container I entered the user & password that I have just created

However, the fact that SpeedFlux talks about "databases" makes me think that SpeedFlux is using the v1 InfluxDb API which is apparently not available in the latest InfluxDb container image without some work. Maybe that is what the "<2" in the log message above means.

Is anyone using SpeedFlux with the latest version of InfluxDb?

Having the same issue now, did you find a fix for the cause of the problem?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This id an excellent docker container and the data is getting written great to my InfluxDB, but the speeds seem incorrect. It's showing like 8MB/s internet speed, but everywhere else I check on my network (including wifi connected devices on VPN) show 100mbs or more. I should be getting a max of 300mbs. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 7:25 AM, snowmirage said:

Anyone still have this docker working, I was using speedtest-tracker it started failing tests.  Tried to set this one up and I continue to have "Speedtest Failed" messages in the logs.

I have been able to console into the container and manually run a speed test though.

image.thumb.png.bc7f8ad0ff81d9f22a52f7d2289e1946.png

you figure out your issues?

this has been working for like a charm for the past year + feeding data to my influxdb and all of a sudden i'm getting the speedtest fail log message

edit

i seem to be getting ssl errors - still digging

edit

sounds like this might be related to the underlying docker framework update in 6.12.1 ... based on some errors from another similar docker

Edited by SeattleBandit