[Plugin] Swapfile for 6.9.1

Yeah, we actively encourage authors / maintainers to NOT publish the direct URLs and to instead install everything via Community Applications.  Then there are controls in place to ensure that you only wind up installing stuff that's compatible, works (bugs aside), and is secure.

4 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

A general question about the filesystem swap sits on, as I need to enable this functionality very soon... as pools aren't useable for this, and I will probably add a dedicated drive for swap, is there an optimal filesystem to use for swap ?

I dont really know if one or the other filesystem performs better for swap. I am currently using btrfs and it has been working fine.

• Thanks 1

I was wondering why the swap wasn't being used, seems the BTRFS file needs to have NOCOW attribute set.

This probably isn't an issue for many as they use existing share that happens to have NOCOW attribute set (and is then inherited), but might be worth explicitly setting for other cases.

It looks like NOCOW needs to be set on subvolume, before swapfile itself is added. ( i.e. chattr +C swapfile )

image.png.34982297ae003d32eb85d5c025027298.png

Edited by tjb_altf4
16 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

This probably isn't an issue for many as they use existing share that happens to have NOCOW attribute set (and is then inherited), but might be worth explicitly setting for other cases.

The plugin should already do this when creating a swapfile on a btrfs filesystem. It should create a new subvolume with the proper BTRFS attributes when the location is set to a BTRFS file system.

4 hours ago, primeval_god said:

The plugin should already do this when creating a swapfile on a btrfs filesystem. It should create a new subvolume with the proper BTRFS attributes when the location is set to a BTRFS file system.

Not sure what the problem was (PEBKAC probably).

I had problems initially when creating it as a subfolder of my pool, so I thought I could only create it at the root of the pool, thats where it couldn't set NOCOW.

I later created it as a subfolder again and is now working as expected.