MicroServer N36L/N40L/N54L - 6 Drive Edition

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of mods:

1) SPCR replaced the case fan (whic is harder than it sounds): http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1193-page7.html

2) An dude from OCAU replaced the PSU with a silent PicoPSU -- this also drops power consumption considerably:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13224115&postcount=2153

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f

t6e33b.jpg

Also, 3TB drives work: http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/04/19/hp-proliant-microserver-usb-3-0-video-edition/

+1

I knew about the pico power supply but i had not really given it much thought until you posted this.

Now i am wondering if i can get one to work inside a chenbro mITX Pedistal Sever case or to mod one for a dell GX620 mini form factor.

I have one of each with no power supply.

hrmm..

What is the differance in the new model and the old model besides the hard drive size?

I almost got one a while back and now that the 160gig model is on sale... i might get it.

I think the newer model may have a different psu as well - in terms of power output anyway.

I'm not sure if it applies to you either but in some regions doing the cashback deal (the UK for sure) it only currently applies to the newer model.

There are some Australian users who've bought 2 or even 4 of these.

I thought about buying a second one, but I already have another unRAID server, so I'd have to buy another license, and many of the tasks I'd like to use another server for need more CPU power.

I figure if they bring out another model with more CPU power and do another deal, I might get another one.

FYI, the Australian deal has ended and the UK deal ends today.

I thought about buying a second one, but I already have another unRAID server, so I'd have to buy another license, and many of the tasks I'd like to use another server for need more CPU power.

I figure if they bring out another model with more CPU power and do another deal, I might get another one.

What odds would you give on them extending it? The UK offer started way back last year and keeps being extended / coming back. Is it the same on your side of the world?

What odds would you give on them extending it? The UK offer started way back last year and keeps being extended / coming back. Is it the same on your side of the world?

My side of the world is the UK, and the offer was extended many times from February to May, but each monthly extension happened well before the end of the month, so I don't see it happening again for this particular SKU.

I think the reason the extensions kept happening was that the units hadn't all sold. There are reports of all the stock in the UK now being sold out, and the same happened in Australia after a much shorter time -- a week or 10 days.

there was no such deal in the US. I work very closely with HP at work since we are replacing all our "rackables" and supermicro servers with HP blade servers.

they are out almost daily to the datacenter and i keep pointing out the UK deal. they keep saying they wish they could get one at that price in the states. they said best they can do is give me a G7 at about 1/3 off ..

I wish I could grab a couple... 3-4... of these in the US for that price.  I have a friend that would love an unRAID server, but it has to be small.  I can build one that is small, but not nearly as cheaply as this one was put together for.

Hi guys I have 5x2TB Samsung F4 unRaid build (with the modded BIOS) working just fine. To increase capacity (having the 6th drive license) I was thinking to add another F4 in a separate enclosure and connect it to the microserver with an eSATA-eSATA cable.  Will this work ?

Thanks.

It should work fine.

Just be careful to not knock the cable out. That could cause problems.

I would also spend a few extra bucks to make sure the drive enclosure is a decent quality so you don't cook the drive under heavy loads. I have seen some cheap one do that.

you could also buy a prebuilt external and it might cost less. like a WD or Seagate 2TB external with Esata.

(although they seem to be getting rare with USB3 being the newest rage)

Thanks. I already have a spare F4 in a system I built for ripping and compressing my DVD/BluRay collection with MakeMKV/Handbrake and having finished the project (many-many weeks) that extra drive is coming out. It certainly deserves a place on top of the microServer!  :)

Any ideas about a reasonable enclosure?

It should work fine.

Just be careful to not knock the cable out. That could cause problems.

I would also spend a few extra bucks to make sure the drive enclosure is a decent quality so you don't cook the drive under heavy loads. I have seen some cheap one do that.

you could also buy a prebuilt external and it might cost less. like a WD or Seagate 2TB external with Esata.

(although they seem to be getting rare with USB3 being the newest rage)

Hi guys I have 5x2TB Samsung F4 unRaid build (with the modded BIOS) working just fine. To increase capacity (having the 6th drive license) I was thinking to add another F4 in a separate enclosure and connect it to the microserver with an eSATA-eSATA cable.  Will this work ?

Thanks.

Or just put the 5th and 6th drive in the 5.25" bay? See this post for more info: http://www.avforums.com/forums/14738494-post576.html