MicroServer N36L/N40L/N54L - 6 Drive Edition

Now that looks good indeed. Never realized that you could fit two 3.5" drives into the top compartment.  :)

Will now buy an eSATA-SATA and a molex to 2 SATA power cable. Maplin parts reserved.

Thanks guys for all the great info.

Hi guys I have 5x2TB Samsung F4 unRaid build (with the modded BIOS) working just fine. To increase capacity (having the 6th drive license) I was thinking to add another F4 in a separate enclosure and connect it to the microserver with an eSATA-eSATA cable.  Will this work ?

Thanks.

Or just put the 5th and 6th drive in the 5.25" bay? See this post for more info: http://www.avforums.com/forums/14738494-post576.html

I'd be scared of heat build up during parity checks.

interesting idea though.

I've had a data drive and cache drive in there and it was fine with the "roof off". If one drive is the cache, it won't be used during a parity check.

I haven't tried it with the "roof on" yet, but in normal use, the lid doesn't heat things up much.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys, I've a small question for the owners of this nice machine.

I was thinking about getting one (after discharging the idea of building one myself, because the proliant would cost less in comparison).

Reading the manual, it states that this machine would only accept disks up to 2TB.

Has anyone tried with disks of higher capacity? (I was thinking about some Caviar Green, the WD30EZRSDTL to be precise).

Do they work?

Thankyou very much!

These things are so cheap, someone has put together a "Massive Array of Inexpensive Servers aka MAIS": http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2011/06/17/project-massive-array-of-inexpensive-servers-aka-mais/

Remember Simon Gallagher’s vTARDIS project? Now for something different. This is the Massive Array of Inexpensive Servers or MAIS (pronounced MAZE). We’re going to build an array of 32 (or more) $150 servers and show the power of vSphere and vCloud Director. Using the new(ish) HP Proliant Microserver, we’re going to build a wall of vBricks!

"64 cpus, 256Gb RAM, 8TB storage, all for $9,000." (that must be with the bundled 250GB drives * 32)

GQs7P.jpg

I am really interested in getting a microserver and upgrading from my D-Link DNS-321 NAS.  Thinking into the future, is it possible to attach one of those 4-bay eSATA enclosures to the eSATA port on this to add drives in that manner?

No, that port only supports a single drive. You can add a PCI-e card for more SATA ports though.

been reading lots of info (thanks to the great posts and guides!)

Just a quick question... am i reading the post mentioned below correctly and now understand that we dont need the russian hacked bios as the official HP bios supports the feature to get the full speed from the motherboard sata port (used for the ODD) ?

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/16427-whs-on-hp-proliant-microserver/page__view__findpost__p__104300

thanks!

been reading lots of info (thanks to the great posts and guides!)

Just a quick question... am i reading the post mentioned below correctly and now understand that we dont need the russian hacked bios as the official HP bios supports the feature to get the full speed from the motherboard sata port (used for the ODD) ?

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/16427-whs-on-hp-proliant-microserver/page__view__findpost__p__104300

thanks!

found the answer to my own question!

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/16427-whs-on-hp-proliant-microserver/page__view__findpost__p__104525

Hacked "new" BIOS details here:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/16427-whs-on-hp-proliant-microserver/page__view__findpost__p__104539

but beware I read mixed results and many people say that the latest hacked bios is missing some options?!? Think it may just be best to use the "old russian" hacked BIOS.  ???

anyone able to get the CPU temp to display when using unmenu  (system info  --> CPU info), or speed fan control and info ?

i ran sensors-detect and got :

-bash: /usr/sbin/sensors-detect: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

then pwmconfig and got:

/usr/sbin/pwmconfig: No sensors found! (modprobe sensor modules?)

interested to know if anyone had any luck with sensors on this microserver yet?

thanks

You need to probe first, and it won't work at all if you are running 4.7. I understand it will only work if you are running 5.x.

thanks for the quick reply.

im on 4.7 at the moment so probably the reason why its not working then. I did initially attempt to run 5.0 beta 8c but was getting way to many issues regarding the web admin page hanging when setting user shares... so i reverted to 4.7 just to get some testing done on my new toy  :)

mind me asking you to elaborate on the "probe" bit though - im not entirely sure what you meant by that?

cheers

ok, i upgraded to 5.0 B9 today and still having the same issues where CPU temp isnt displayed and no sensors are detected...

is there something which needs to be downloaded for this to work on the N36L ?

thanks

I'm guessing you didn't modprobe anything? Google modprobe and unraid and AMD.

• 2 weeks later...

What the transfer speed do you get on cache drive?

Im only getting 40MB to 50 MB/sec write

on Array, maximum 30MB sec

Sounds about right. I've had faster writes on the cache drive when it's 7200rpm.

I have just patched modified bios - now im getting 80 MB/sec  on cache drive :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I had to try out your excellent idea, kapfel. I managed to fit 4 3.5" drives in the top and the 2.5" drive as well! Total drives: 9!

I think cooling may be an issue, but the case would act as a heatsink for most of the drives, so I will be trying this out.

So, what was the verdict on this?  What did your drive temps look like?