MicroServer N36L/N40L/N54L - 6 Drive Edition

No need to be quite so rude...  (or does that mean something more polite in the US than in the UK?)

SOrry.

I am the yank mod on a large UK server and forums where the atmosphere is a bit lighter. No offense was meant I apologize if it offended you.

Now if i can get the British guy in my HR dept to stop calling everyone a C**t...

No need to be quite so rude...  (or does that mean something more polite in the US than in the UK?)

SOrry.

I am the yank mod on a large UK server and forums where the atmosphere is a bit lighter. No offense was meant I apologize if it offended you.

No worries - I figured that this was most likely just a cultural diversity thing.  You did not offend me personally - I am used to inter-nationality linguistic glitches.

Now if i can get the British guy in my HR dept to stop calling everyone a C**t...

That would also cause me a problem.  Even worse when it comes from someone in HR.

Back on topic - should I splash out on one of these new MicroServers?  I don't *need* one, but they look so neat.  I am sure I could hack one up to at least seven drives and maybe eight at a pinch...

Great news for UK peeps!

But I see nowhere in the terms that this is UK only. And with EU regulations and all, I should be able to buy one to Denmark. I regularly buy other stuff from the UK (even 17" tires!!!), so it should be absolutely possible...

Hmmm.. better finish my build first. But £150 - that's just too cheap to pass on  :)

Finally got around to buying keys and playing with this.  So far I'm not having much luck.  I'm thinking 1gb isn't enough ram for 3tb disks.  Finder, explorer, teracopy and even mc locally all die horribly trying to manipulate files.  There are no hints to any issue in the syslog so I'm pretty much guessing until the parity check finishes but the issue seems to be limited to the 3tb drive I have in there.  Smart reports are also clean.

Great news for UK peeps!

The £100 cashback offer is now available on the N40L! I think the main differences are a CPU bump from 1.3GHz (dual core) to 1.5GHz and a RAM bump from 1GB to 2GB (I hear that's a single 2GB DIMM).

http://www.serversplus.com/pdfs/PA0058.pdf

Available at ebuyer for £250: http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-658553-421 = £150 after cashback.

Authorised HP dealers only. Make sure you get the model with the right part number or the deal won't be honoured.

I think I'm going to wait to see if that price goes down a little from other suppliers. Someone had the N36L for £89 after cashback recently, which is ridiculous.

Specs of the model on offer:

HP Part number: 658553-421

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-4237916-4237917-4237917-4248009-5163346.html

Processor: AMD Turion™ II Model Neo N40L

Number of processors: 1

Memory, standard: 2 GB

Processor core available: 2

Memory slots: 2 DIMM slots

Memory type: PC3-10600E UDIMMs DDR3

Expansion slots: 2

Network controller: (1) 1GbE NC107i 1 Port

Storage controller: Integrated 4 port SATA RAID

Power supply type: (1) 150 W

Management software: N/A

Processor cache: 2 MB L2

Optical drive type: None ship standard

Form factor (fully configured): Ultra Micro Tower

Warranty - year(s) (parts/labor/onsite): 1/0/0

Looking to buy/build first server and this looks more than ideal - how complex is the process of adding drives? I understand it's possible to add up to 6 with some tweaking? What kind of tweaking are we talking about?

Thanks!

EDIT: Should probably add, I use SAb and SB etc, can the Micro Server run these comfortably?

Looking to buy/build first server and this looks more than ideal - how complex is the process of adding drives? I understand it's possible to add up to 6 with some tweaking? What kind of tweaking are we talking about?

Thanks!

EDIT: Should probably add, I use SAb and SB etc, can the Micro Server run these comfortably?

All your answers are in this thread. All you have to do is read it.

Thanks!

All your answers are in this thread. All you have to do is read it.

Thanks, have now read the whole thread and think I have a decent grip of everything. I would gor for 6 drives I think, 4 data, 1 parity and a cache. As far as I can tell all I would need to buy extra for this is the Icy Box IB-168SK-B and relevant cables? (Or do these cables come with the Icy Box as standard?)

Of course I would also need to update the bios - is the original Russian version still the best/easiest bet, or the most recent one from this thread? http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1521657-hp-n36l-microserver-updated-ahci-bios-support.html

Lastly, the 40 model comes with 2GB ram - worth upgrading in your opinion, or enough to run most add ons comfortably?

Thanks!

Thanks, have now read the whole thread and think I have a decent grip of everything. I would gor for 6 drives I think, 4 data, 1 parity and a cache. As far as I can tell all I would need to buy extra for this is the Icy Box IB-168SK-B and relevant cables? (Or do these cables come with the Icy Box as standard?)

Of course I would also need to update the bios - is the original Russian version still the best/easiest bet, or the most recent one from this thread? http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1521657-hp-n36l-microserver-updated-ahci-bios-support.html

Lastly, the 40 model comes with 2GB ram - worth upgrading in your opinion, or enough to run most add ons comfortably?

Thanks!

For 6 drives (one being 2.5"), you would also need an eSATA to SATA cable. For 6 drives, all being 3.5", you wouldn't use the IB-168SK-B (you'd use an X-Swing or equivalent). I can't remember if it comes with a SATA cable, but that should be listed on the Icy Box or supplier web site.

2GB would be enough to run unRAID plus some add-ons. SABnzbd and cache_dirs can both use a lot of RAM, so I'd put in another 2GB or 4GB myself if you wanted to use both of those. Or try it first.

Use an N40L compatible BIOS (I think one has been posted on avforums).

Thanks!

For 6 drives (one being 2.5"), you would also need an eSATA to SATA cable. For 6 drives, all being 3.5", you wouldn't use the IB-168SK-B (you'd use an X-Swing or equivalent). I can't remember if it comes with a SATA cable, but that should be listed on the Icy Box or supplier web site.

2GB would be enough to run unRAID plus some add-ons. SABnzbd and cache_dirs can both use a lot of RAM, so I'd put in another 2GB or 4GB myself if you wanted to use both of those. Or try it first.

Thinking of going for the 6 drive option, all 3.5. For this, I would use the spare sata for one of the drives up top, but what about the other? Still use eSata to Sata for it? And would I have to have the lid removed to fit in the drives and keep them cool enough?

Thanks!

Thinking of going for the 6 drive option, all 3.5. For this, I would use the spare sata for one of the drives up top, but what about the other? Still use eSata to Sata for it? And would I have to have the lid removed to fit in the drives and keep them cool enough?

All the information you have asked about is in this thread. I'm not going to keep answering the same questions over and over when I've already spent a considerable amount of time writing up how-tos.

Someone with more patience than me might want to do that, but I'm going to suggest you read the entire thread. Or at least skim it. Or just look at the pictures.  ;D

Thanks!

All the information you have asked about is in this thread. I'm not going to keep answering the same questions over and over when I've already spent a considerable amount of time writing up how-tos.

Someone with more patience than me might want to do that, but I'm going to suggest you read the entire thread. Or at least skim it. Or just look at the pictures.  ;D

OK I've read the thread for the third or fourth time, and I think I have a good idea now of what I would need. I understand where you're coming from with the annoyance at people like me asking questions, and I'm hoping I'll be done after this. But I do have a couple of things that I don't know for definite after reading everything again, and I would just like to double check.

My current plan is to fill the 4 standard bays obviously, then add 2 3.5" drives at the top, and a 2.5" cache drive as well if possible. The microserver as I understand has one extra SATA port, that requires a BIOS mod but is fine for 1 of the 2 3.5" drives at the top. There is an eSATA port, perfect for the 2.5" cache drive, leaving a need for one more SATA port for the 2nd 3.5" drive. For this I aim to buy a Rocket 620 (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/highpoint-rocket-620-(r620)-2-channel-internal-pci-e-v2-x1-to-sata-6gb-s-non-raid-controller-card) and a Nexus Double Twin (http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p6594_Nexus-Double-Twin-HDD-decoupling.html)

The next thing I'd have to buy - cables. This is the area I have the loosest grip on at the moment. I'll need 2 SATA cables for the data transfer (although I think one comes with the microserver?) but what about power? Will cables that come with the drives suffice? Or will I need one of these to power the 2 drives up top? (I think I will) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Molex-to-2-SATA-Internal-Power-Splitter-Cable/dp/B0002GRUV4

Finally, the lid. I've read speculation in this thread about whether it would be safe to leave it on with 2 drives up top or not, but no definitive answer. I would rather have it on but obviously won't if it would endanger the components.

Sorry again for the questions but I don't want to buy things that I don't need, or not buy enough! Once the build is done I can start getting my hands dirty, and hopefully will learn much quicker then :) Thanks.