(SOLVED) How to give Windows Server users their own folder on the array?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I'm running Windows Server as a VM with accounts for my family. I want to give each user their own *private* folder somewhere on the array and map that location to their documents.

I tired creating a share for each user but I'm not able to have multiple samba connections to unRAID, and I don't want to share a base "users" folder because then all users can modify all other users documents.

Any ideas on how I can set this up?

6 minutes ago, Anticast said:

but I'm not able to have multiple samba connections to unRAID,

Not sure what you mean by this?    It is quite normal for a single client to have multiple samba connections.    What Windows will not allow is each samba connection to have different user credentials.

5 minutes ago, Anticast said:

Yes, if share 'user_1' and share 'user_2' have the same credentials then both users can read/write all other user's data.

Why would both users need to access both shares and why would they have the same credentials?    I thought what you wanted was each user to have exclusive access to each share so each share can be set up to use a specific user’s credentials.   Am I missing something?

Thanks for the responses!

I'm likely doing something wrong, but I was having issues getting multiple connections from multiple users. My assumption was because its one computer (running Windows Server) and each user is connecting via RDP.

If you're saying that this setup should still work, then I'll tear it down and try again.

• Solution
1 minute ago, Anticast said:

Thanks for the responses!

I'm likely doing something wrong, but I was having issues getting multiple connections from multiple users. My assumption was because its one computer (running Windows Server) and each user is connecting via RDP.

If you're saying that this setup should still work, then I'll tear it down and try again.

As long as each user had there own login then Windows should maintain credentials at the user level..

what is important is that you connect any private/secure shares before any public shares to ensure you are using the correct credentials.   Windows always re-uses the credentials of the first connection and if you then try and make a connection which needs different credentials will refuse to use any new credentials and always tells you the username/password is wrong.

Thanks again for the guidance itimpil! I don't know how I screwed it up before (maybe wrong ordering of connecting to samba drives like you said) but I cleared out the shares, made new shares for each user, logged in to Windows as that user, mapped their share to a drive, and moved their Documents to that share drive. Logging out and logging back is is persisting the drives per user (like you said it would) so I think I'm in business.

Thanks again!

• Anticast changed the title to (SOLVED) How to give Windows Server users their own folder on the array?

Just in case it helps someone else later...

I found a better solution to this thanks to this post: 

By modifying `smb-extra.conf` I made a share that uses the authenticated user name as part of the path. No need to make shares for each user.

I currently have this mapping to a subfolder being mapped into a Dropbox container and now when all Windows users save something to their network drive it syncs to dropbox in a few seconds.

[userhome]
comment = %U home directory
path = /mnt/disk2/dropbox/users/%U
valid users = %U
browsable = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
vfs objects =