Migrating To New Hardware, 'IP Not Set' and Can't Connect to Network

Hi, I've been using unraid for a a couple of years. I'm just migrating to new hardware. From what I understand it's supposed to be pretty easy and straight forward but for the life of me I can't get it to generate an IP and connect to the network. I'm going from an FX-8350 to a TR 2950x using a X399D8A-2T mobo. 

A fresh install of unraid on another usb drive generates an IP and connects just fine. But I need my existing setup to work, I have important work systems on there. My best guess is that I left network configs from my old system that don't apply to this one but I'm not sure. 

I've tried the troubleshooting steps listed here: 

I've tried copying the network.cfg from the fresh install, i've tried deleting the network.cfg, i've tried setting a static IP in the network.cfg, I've also tried booting from a USB 2.0 port. I still can't get it to connect. 

The onboard NICs are intel and should work fine according to other posts on the forum. But I also moved over the PCIE NIC card from my old system that was working fine before and it doesn't connect when I'm plugged into those ports either. 

I'm not sure if it's related but I'm getting "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'it87': No such device". But that's a temp sensor thing correct?

I've attached my diagnostics file. I'd really appreciate the help getting this figured out. Thanks!

origin-diagnostics-20210530-1049.zip

Edited by JohnyClassic
On 5/30/2021 at 12:59 PM, Squid said:

No link is being detected on the NIC.  Deleteing network.cfg should work (following a reboot) in resetting the network (you had 4 nics prior, but now only have 2 available).  And confirm the cabling is plugged in correctly.

Thanks for the help! I got it to work after deleting both network.cfg and network-rules.cfg. Not sure why. 

4 hours ago, JohnyClassic said:

network-rules.cfg

That file contains rules that determine which of several NICs is used as eth0, which as eth1, etc. You can change the rules in the GUI and doing so creates that file. If you want to reset networking fully, deleting both files is the thing to do, as you discovered.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:18 PM, JohnyClassic said:

"modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'it87': No such device".

Yes, that's a SuperIO chip with temperature/voltage/fan speed sensors. Your old motherboard probably had one and your new motherboard probably has a different chip. It's associated with the Dynamix System Temperature plugin (and possibly also the Auto Fan Speed plugin, though I don't use that one). So you'll need to reconfigure the plugin - unload the it87 module and scan for sensors. It has nothing to do with networking.

• 1 year later...

Came from Intel Legacy and unRAID 6.8.3. The network config files were a good idea but that didn’t work for my upgrade. I came off of legacy boot. I changed the EFI- to EFI (without the dash) and that didn’t work. Possible plugins were preventing boot. Nothing really worked. 
I had to backup UNRAID folder from USB to computer and reinstall new 6.10 OS. It worked. I had to redo cache and dockers and redo VMs. It was a pain to figure out. Might be easier to go this route if nothing seems to work. 

Here’s the stuff to move over to new USB  install: 
https://wiki.unraid.net/Files_on_v6_boot_drive

dont forget your .key