unRaid 6.9.2: Second Failing USB drive in two months (Now with added kernal panic!)

Howdy folks,

As the subject says I have a second USB drive failing in two months. Last time it happened I didn't catch what was happening until after the drive (Kingston Datatraveller USB3.0) had completely failed and unraid wouldn't boot after a restart I was going for unrelated reasons. Hours of worry, a new USB (same model/brand/spec) and licence transfer later it was fixed.

Now 2 months later I got a notification via telegram to say that fix common problems detected a problem with bread errors etc...and low and behold it looks like the issue is happening again. It should be mentioned that a few weeks back I had taken my server offline to change some BIOS fan settings and on first restart the USB failed and I had to plug it into another PC, repair it and try again (it worked).

This time around the port the failing USB is in is different, not even close to the previous one on the motherboard rear IO.

I've ordered some new USB2.0 Datatravellers and emailed limetech about re-assiging my licence again within the 12 month time limit. However I'm concerend I'll be right back where I am in a short while.

I'm also concerned that as soon as I restart I will be unable to boot again with the current device. Which would be in keeping with what happened the last time around, are there any "in-place" actions I can take to repair the current drive without a restart? Or to at least confirm it is screwed? (and ideally why).

Obviously I've gone over my logs etc but I'm not sure what I should be looking for here, any steer in the right direction would be appreciated.

Additional Info:

• Motherboard:
    • TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
    • BIOS: Version 3002 (AMD AGESA 1.2.0.1)
    • USB Port: USB 2.0 (Port 11 bottom, according to the diagram in the user manual)
      image.png.01404ef7f56c56b7e95406898786ace1.png
  • CPU/RAM/GPU/PSU
    • Ryzen 2700X @3.7gHz stock
    • 32GB RAM (4x Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 8GB DDR4 3000MHz)

• Silverstone Essential 550W 80 Plus Gold

• nVidia Geforce GT710 1GB

• USB: Kingston Datatraveller USB3.0

• Can't find a link to the particular one I have anywhere (guess they are out of production) but it looks like the below (ignore the model number): 
      image.png.f52212a68c1f901e19ce045d894e8ed7.png

ibstorage-diagnostics-20210531-1126.zip

Edited by DaveDoesStuff
1 hour ago, Squid said:

The drive didn't drop offline, but it does appear to have a bad sector.  I'd run a full chkdsk on it in a Windows box.

Thats definitely on the cards but only when the spare/replacement flash drives arrive. It's not an option now as the last time I had these syptoms the drive was dead after restart.

...I mean what are the odds of both drives dying/having these issues within a 2 month period, seems slim...but maybe I'm over thinking this.

52 minutes ago, DaveDoesStuff said:

..I mean what are the odds of both drives dying/having these issues within a 2 month period, seems slim...but maybe I'm over thinking this.

USB3 drives seem to be much more susceptible to failure than USB2 ones.   It is suspected that this may well be because USB2 drives run much cooler that USB3 ones but that is just a guess at the end of the day.   Heat is not friendly to electronics and this is important in a device that is left plugged in and operational 24x7.   Quite why USB3 drives seem to run much hotter is not obvious to me unless it is just a limitation of current design or chip technology.

• Thanks 1

USB has been replaced with help from support on the licence. However after I left a parity check running overnight I awoke to a dead network (I run virtual pfsense and a dedicated dual nic) and the lovely kernal panic attached.

Powering off and on brought it back up and for now I'm running minimal dockers/vms and stopped the auto parity check.

It's probably just my paranoia now but I can't help but feel like this isn't a coincidence...

IMG_20210603_060740.jpg

Edit: forgot to add I will endeavour to capture and attach diagnostics when I am back home

Edited by DaveDoesStuff
  • DaveDoesStuff changed the title to unRaid 6.9.2: Second Failing USB drive in two months (Now with added kernal panic!)
19 hours ago, tone said:

@DaveDoesStuff Kinda? I have been consistently having this issue for a while now:

Not sure if there is something related though

Yeah I had roughly the same thing happen with the first USB that "went bad", I just restarted to change some fan profiles and then it was suddenly f'ed. That was after the same usb3.0 stick and usb 3.0 port being fine for over a year prior to 6.9.X

5 minutes ago, tone said:

So where are you now? Is it fixed?

Presumabely no. I'm trying another parity check now that work is finished for the week. My unRAID is host to my pfSense router with a dedicated dual nic so I didn't want to risk doing anything mid week.

Will post back if it completes...but I've changed literally nothing...except I've disabled nVidia plugin as there were a ton of errors in my logs related to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I managed a parity check a few days ago but I wanted to wait until it had been up and running for a least a week. As of Friday it has been. During this whole time I have had the nVidia plugin disabled/removed and now there are no crashes, USBs getting corrupted, other errors etc...

Also as my issues started after moving to 6.9 RC1 I definitely think the issues I've experianced since have to have been related to nVidia plugin or the change in how unRaid works with the driver. None of these issues were happening when the driver/support was still baked into the OS natively.