(SOLVED) Nvidia P2000 - Power state idle

The UNRAID OS and community is amazing, anything is possible and it's really easy "sometimes" to figure some stuff out but not this time.

I have a Nvidia Quadro P2000 GPU and it has a max TDP of 70W and in UNRAID OS it idles at 20W (load = 1 - 2%) with Power State P0 all the time.

So in conclusion with Spaceinvader One's video on improving power usage the only solutions for low power usage at idle are:

• GUI Mode with no VM's activated, only use for transcoding.
  • Headless Mode when being passed through to a VM that is idle.

I read somewhere that could force the power state from P0 to P8 for idle to lower the usage but how will that react when for example Plex Transcoding is activated?

• Will the Power state change so that the GPU actually transcodes?
  • Or will it remain in P8 state because it has been forced and no transcodes?

The reason for this post is obvious, I want to lower the idle power usage from 20W to 6-10W

Best regards,

Edited by SimpleDino

The power state has is solved. I applied this solution with some help from the Unraid Reddit forum:

This solution changes the power state from P0 to P8 and 20W --> 8W. The P-state will change if the GPU is being passed through for transcoding or VMs. But the solution is temporary, it will reset and not persist after a reboot. Type in console/Terminal:

• This solution changes the power state from P0 to P8 and 20W --> 8W. The P-state will change if the GPU is being passed through for transcoding or VMs. But the solution is temporary, it will reset and not persist after a reboot.

• Type in console/Terminal:

• nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1

• Solution #2. To make it permanent.
    • Download the "User Scripts" plugin.
    • make a new script to run at:
      • "First Array Start Only"
    • and put this into it:
      • #!/bin/bash #nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1 nvidia-persistenced fuser -v /dev/nvidia*
  • Thanks 1
  • SimpleDino changed the title to (SOLVED) Nvidia P2000 - Power state idle
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 12:00 AM, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

For anyone looking for this in the future, I had to modify the formatting of the script to be the following.

#!/bin/bash
nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1
nvidia-persistenced
fuser -v /dev/nvidia*

@SimpleDino and @SpaceInvaderOne Can you all confirm on a system on 6.10.0 RC4?

I have not upgraded yet to RC4, still on RC2 Maybe @SpaceInvaderOne can confirm?

Br,

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 5:00 PM, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

For anyone looking for this in the future, I had to modify the formatting of the script to be the following.

#!/bin/bash
nvidia-smi --persistence-mode=1
nvidia-persistenced
fuser -v /dev/nvidia*

@SimpleDino and @SpaceInvaderOne Can you all confirm on a system on 6.10.0 RC4?

Confirmed working on Unraid 6.11.5, got my Quadro t1000 down from max clock speed to 300 on core and memory! Temps are down as well from 42 to 35 degree.