Stuck looping at Blue Unraid Splash Screen

I had to uncleanly shutdown my unraid server, however upon restart the USB key was corrupted.

No sweat, I have backups, so I take the backed up USB folder from the Backup/Restore plugin and convert it into a zip, then use the unraid usb creator and flash it to the usb. Try to boot from that and I get to the blue Unraid boot screen where you can select memtest, and selecting any of the options, it tries to initiate that option, the screen flickers, and it goes back to the the blue screen with the 5 second countdown timer.

I read that could be due to a corrupted bzimage file on the USB stick, so tried replacing them manually on the restored USB. No dice.

The thing is I have a few months worth of backups, and have tried restoring those USB backups, and they all have the same symptoms. I have confirmed the MD5 of all the bzimage files are the same across backups. I have rebooted in the past few months multiple times so whatever was getting backed up must have been not corrupted, unless all the backup got corrupted, which I would find unlikely.

Any thoughts?

15 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Try creating a memtest USB on another stick and see if that runs.

I was still on 6.8.3, so I just created a 6.9.2 USB (same usb key), and tried to copy over just the config files. That booted fine to UNRAID, but the config was all messed up, with drives unassigned and services wonky.

Seems that the USB key is good, but the backups are all not. Is there anyway for me to gracefully upgrade from 6.8.3 to 6.9.2 and preserve the config without being able to boot into my last known good config?

Run the memtest option for at least several hours.
Ryzen 3900x with 128gb of ram at 3600 MHz . Although that is technically an OC 22 hours or memtest ran fine.

I realized what my issue was. I wasn't zipping up the files from the usb backup, but the whole usb folder was zipped, so the format or the usb wasn't right.

Last question is, I've booted in now, but the drive assignments are all blank, however the config folder contains a disk_assignments.txt file however unraid isn't picking it up. Should I manually reassign or is this indicative of another problem ?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

That file is for informational purposes only. Unraid actually gets (and saves) your disk assignments in config/super.dat

Interesting. There was no super.dat, only a super.dat.backup. finding one from an older backup that got me back to normal. Thanks !

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, bobo89 said:

There was no super.dat, only a super.dat.backup

CA Backup plugin renames super.dat so you won't accidentally use an old backup that has incorrect disk assignments. If you are sure the backup is current, you can rename that file to super.dat.

• Like 1