[Solved] Plex server not available/reachable

Aloha,

I wasted half the day trying to get Plex to work.

I use the hotio plex docker on my unraid server. WebGui works and I can see my test movie there.

Then I tried to connect to this server

- from nvidia shield tv pro with plex app: it shows a yellow triangle next to my plex server's name

- from my workstation with win10 plex app: same triangle and it says "server not available"

Network setup:

- unraid: 10.0.2.15

- shield: 10.0.3.11 (in a different vlan)

- workstation: 10.0.2.10

What's wrong?

16 minutes ago, tardezyx said:

Aloha,

I wasted half the day trying to get Plex to work.

I use the hotio plex docker on my unraid server. WebGui works and I can see my test movie there.

Then I tried to connect to this server

- from nvidia shield tv pro with plex app: it shows a yellow triangle next to my plex server's name

- from my workstation with win10 plex app: same triangle and it says "server not available"

Network setup:

- unraid: 10.0.2.15

- shield: 10.0.3.11 (in a different vlan)

- workstation: 10.0.2.10

What's wrong?

Use the Plex-Docker from linuxserver.io - its working 👍

Edited by Zonediver
  • Thanks 1

@Zonediver Another question: remote access does change to green for some seconds and then its red again.

Public port 32400 is forwarded to internal server port 32400 - and opened by the firewall.

Do you also know what this issue is?

Update: solved. My router config was somehow destroyed (no open ports, at all)... loaded a backup and it works now.

Edited by tardezyx
  • ChatNoir changed the title to [Solved] Plex server not available/reachable
  • 3 months later...

This is because I by default use the most secure option for plex (or any other container), which is "bridge" instead of the lsio template that uses "host" by default. So you had two choices, also use "host" (quick to do from the select box, not recommended) or the proper way, by making use of the env var ADVERTISE_IP, so that your local clients know where to look.

Would have been nice of @Zonediverto elaborate on this, instead of just merely implying that there's something wrong with the image.

25 minutes ago, hotio said:

This is because I by default use the most secure option for plex (or any other container), which is "bridge" instead of the lsio template that uses "host" by default. So you had two choices, also use "host" (quick to do from the select box, not recommended) or the proper way, by making use of the env var ADVERTISE_IP, so that your local clients know where to look.

Would have been nice of @Zonediverto elaborate on this, instead of just merely implying that there's something wrong with the image.

I spent 5 minutes looking over the support links you have posted, including poking around and finding https://hotio.dev/containers/plex/

which mentions the environment variable in question, but doesn't spell out the explicit need for it to be populated correctly so the app will work in bridge mode. Perhaps adding a line or two explaining how to fill it in properly on that page would help, at least it would help those who try to help themselves by reading the docs.

7 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

I spent 5 minutes looking over the support links you have posted, including poking around and finding https://hotio.dev/containers/plex/

which mentions the environment variable in question, but doesn't spell out the explicit need for it to be populated correctly so the app will work in bridge mode. Perhaps adding a line or two explaining how to fill it in properly on that page would help, at least it would help those who try to help themselves by reading the docs.

It includes a screenshot of the plex settings it corresponds to...it's a pretty common issue with plex when running in bridge mode, iirc they even mention it in their docs. Maybe not as explicitly mentioned as you'd like in my docs, but feel free to create a PR, it's not always the easiest to write helpful docs when you know the inner workings. Somebody will also be happy to assist on the discord server.