Parity Sector Fail - thoughts on what to do next?

Hi All

I've had the following occur - 

197 Current pending sector   0x0012   100  100  000  old age always never 152

198 Offline uncorrectable      0x0010   100  100  000  old age  offline never  152

Its not long happened after a full parity check which found 17,496 errors - I'm guessing this is far from normal.

I've had so much happen over the last few weeks from a large transfer from to NAS's to multiple hard drives. 

Backing up all data as backup drives.  Memory failure and all.

I appreciate this means a sector has died from reading other posts and it is no longer being used; I'm assuming this is the start of a decay of the hard drive.  I get the next question will be how long is a piece of string - but I'm still going to ask, roughly how long have I got to replace.

I'm conscious that replacing a parity drive; I want to buy new and large.  Given Chia - HDD prices have rocketed (I've been tracking prices for a few months especially 14 and 16TB Exo's).  I'm wondering if its best to hold off.  Given current costs I very much doubt I'd

Parity drive 2 shows old age as well 187 report uncorrect.

I know the gold star is to buy, but I would probably consider a interim power down term for a few months until I can afford and repair.

Would appreciate your thoughts, have I got a time bomb here, am I in panic mode, or when would you suggest the optimal point is to replace?

Cheers

Chris

haccnas-diagnostics-20210602-2105.zip

image.thumb.png.3f7845889e1e9a60b773ea4e17978576.png

image.thumb.png.b67b3b417422e9b1640b1b7832b9fcbb.png

You don't actually need a 16 TB disk and they don't represent good value for money right now (in terms of cost per terabyte). You only need a 6 TB parity disk at the moment to work in your array but the sweet spot (cost per terabyte) is in the 8 to 10 TB range, so that's what I'd be considering in your position. You can always re-purpose it as a data disk when larger capacities become worth buying again. Another thing to think about is whether, with only five data disks, you actually need two parity disks at the moment. Having two parity disks is "better" in that it provides extra redundancy but that's more of a convenience than a necessity, if you have adequate backups. Remember, parity is never a substitute for backups.

It is possible to get ‘false positives’ for Pending Sectors which correct themselves the next time the sector is written.   However with that many there is quite likely to be a genuine problem.

it is probably worth running an extended SMART test on the drive.   The results of that will give more information on the health of the drive..

• Like 1