pfSense VM on a Ryzen 5 5600X = fatal trap 12

Hey,

I'm running UNRAID on a Ryzen 5 5600X and MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI and I cannot get pfSense to boot if you use host passthrough.

My Windows 10 and Windows Server VMs are working using host passthrough with no issues. I suppose it could be a FreeBSD issue.

I'm using a fresh FreeBSD template and have tried pfSense 2.4.5, 2.5.0, 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 beta (with and without NICs passed through).

For now, emulating the CPU with QEMU works but it doesn't support AIS which is going to be a problem in the future.

Has anyone experienced this?

2028750601_2021-06-0316_44_15-QEMU(pfSense-Live)-noVNC-Profile1-MicrosoftEdge.thumb.png.37db52040d662f9dfce77de238f91de6.png

Edited by DanW

Same issue here unfortuantly - same failiure at the same point. I have used the FreeBSD / Linux and Custom templates. I have attempted with unraid 6.8.3 and 6.9.1

5600x with a x470 mobo.

I have tried altering the bus type of the ISO and of the guest's disk. I have used the same ISO's as you (checked the sha265) with and without NIC's. I have allocated 1 core (not CPU0) and multiple cores.

If I remove my unraid USB stick and try the pfsense ISO burnt to a USB drive I manage to reach the setup screen.

Your screen recordings nifty - I will have to figure out how you did that!

After some forum searching Im going to hop from here.....

Edited by Impossible
Added forum link

Hey Impossible,

Thanks for the reply, it's good to see that I'm not alone.

18 hours ago, Impossible said:

If I remove my unraid USB stick and try the pfsense ISO burnt to a USB drive I manage to reach the setup screen.

If you passthrough a USB stick and install successfully, does pfSense boot normally once the installation is complete?

18 hours ago, Impossible said:

Your screen recordings nifty - I will have to figure out how you did that!

I just used OBS to capture the window then compressed the video with handbrake so it's only 1mb.

It worked pretty well :)

My pfSense VM is still running emulated, it's running fine but I would like to get moved over to host passthrough.

I was thinking of just switching the xml config but I haven't messed around yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 3900x and the same issue, the only thing that worked was to emulate to Skylake so AES NI is present:

<cpu mode='custom' match='exact' check='full'>
    <model fallback='forbid'>Skylake-Client</model>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='hypervisor'/>
    <feature policy='disable' name='pcid'/>
    <feature policy='disable' name='hle'/>
    <feature policy='disable' name='erms'/>
    <feature policy='disable' name='invpcid'/>
    <feature policy='disable' name='rtm'/>
    <feature policy='disable' name='mpx'/>
    <feature policy='disable' name='spec-ctrl'/>
  </cpu>

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't tried the 6.10 RC although I have been trying to find a changelog or something that might point to issues with AMD CPUs being resolved.

All I've been able to find so far shows that there have been some onboard GPU improvements for AMD and Intel.

So I'm not sure if 6.10 is going to fix the issue either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...