Thousands of parity errors, weird disk issue on ATA12

I had to shut my server down due to power issues in my place. The shutdown went fine. Powered up, ran a parity check, non correcting.

Found 16583 errors. Huh? Last month parity check was fine. Nothing been changed or touched on the server in the past month,

Checking logs, I also see issues with ATA12, which looks to be the parity 2 disk, which is pretty much a brand new drive. I'm just wondering what could be causing the ATA errors and the crazy amount of parity errors?

Thanks for help!tower-diagnostics-20210603-2051.zip

8 hours ago, trurl said:

Looks like a bad connection on parity2.

Why are your IPs 192.169... ? Those are not allowed private LAN IPs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

In fact, it looks like your server IP is actually owned by an ISP in Washington state.

OK, I'll check connections on that drive. Make sure everything is secure, etc. How do I test afterwards though without running another 25 hour parity check?

Just weird it would suddenly happen.... grrrr.....

Can we stay on point here re: parity issues and disconnecting drive?

What IP range I use internally has zero bearing on that. In fact, there is no regulation stating you cannot use ANY IP range you want on your internal network. The IANA reserved some specifically for internal use, but I can use any I like. The only issue I'll ever have is if I needed to connect to a resource on the Internet that was using a 192.169.x.x IP....

19 hours ago, Whaler_99 said:

non correcting.

Found 16583 errors.

9 hours ago, Whaler_99 said:

How do I test afterwards though without running another 25 hour parity check?

You need to do the parity check to confirm whether or not those are actual parity errors, and correct them.

Really you should do a correcting check, and if it finds parity sync errors, follow that by a non-correcting check to confirm there are no parity sync errors remaining.

Exactly zero is the only acceptable result and until you get that result you aren't finished.

As an aside I recommend updating your signature. Either keep it up to date or remove the system description.

6.1.2 Pro | Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | 16GB | Core i5-3470s | Corsair AX750 | SuperMicro, Norco, Icy Dock and iStarUSA 5x3 Cages | 1 x SASLP-MV8 | 2 x RocketRaid 2300

I'm assuming you are no longer on 6.1.2, or running marvell based controllers, which have been not recommended for a few years now.

2 hours ago, Whaler_99 said:

Fiddle come cables, check connections, but no way to know for sure if it's fixed without running another 26 hour parity check.

Just pay attention during parity check to whether you have anything in the Errors column for any array disks on the Main page, and check syslog for any of those ATA errors you were seeing before. If the parity check isn't going well, you can cancel it and try again to fix the connection.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:04 PM, trurl said:

Just pay attention during parity check to whether you have anything in the Errors column for any array disks on the Main page, and check syslog for any of those ATA errors you were seeing before. If the parity check isn't going well, you can cancel it and try again to fix the connection.

Will do, thanks!