Problems getting R720 Unraid config to see MD3200 array

cjizzle

Currently running Unraid 6.9.2 on a Dell R720 with an H310 flashed to LSI 9211 IT.  Runs perfectly and all drives are recognized.

Also have an LSI 9200-8e IT card installed in the r720, connected to a poweredge MD3200 with 12 6tb sas drives installed.  Unraid doesnt see them, and it appears the BIOS doesnt either.  When I hit ctrl-c to get into the LSI Config Utility it shows two Direct Attached Devices, both Dell MD32xx 0820, but when I hit enter on those, nothing happens.

When connecting to the MD3200 via ethernet and a Windows PC using the Dell Modular Disk Storage Manager it sees the drives just fine, 65.490TB unconfigured in total and each individual drive.

What config step am I missing here?

Edit: So I finally just created a Raid0 config using the Dell MDSM and Unraid sees it fine.  I just didnt want to go that route, I got unraid for a reason...  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by cjizzle
more info

Thanks for the reply.  Since I have it, looks like Im stuck with it for now so have to make the best of it.

Question about transfer speed though... Using Mover, Krusader or MC I get short bursts of speed for a few seconds up to 150MB/s but avg speed transferring from a drive in the r720 to the md3200 runs around 40-50MB/s (all drives are Seagate Enterprise 6TB 7200rpm SAS). We aren't talking a bunch of small files, just a single 100GB file.  You would think in a raid0 config for 12 drives it would be pretty darn fast, especially since the file I'm transferring is on an m.2 nvme drive.

When transferring using my Windows machine (copying from share to share) I get sustained speed of above 150MB/s for the duration of the entire transfer.

Any ideas why using unraid itself for the transfer would be so slow?

EDIT: Should have added info about cabling... From 9200 - 8e to MD3200 -- port 0 to controller 0 port 0, port 1 to controller 1 port 0.

Edited by cjizzle
4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Do you mean still copying from Unraid share to share?

Correct, Unraid share to Unraid share using Windows 10 (not VM) on a hardline 1GB connection.  For example, Disk3/plots/ to Disk9/plotsraid/ 

Disk3 being a 6TB SAS on the r720 and Disk9 being the 120TB on the MD3200 (12x6 6TB SAS in Raid0).

1 minute ago, cjizzle said:

Unraid share to Unraid share using Windows 10 (not VM) on a hardline 1GB connection.

That's still a local transfer, so the problem is not the server, I remember reading about other users with poor performance with Krusader, mc should perform normally, you can also try for example rsync.

Also note that transfers made using disks shares can always be faster then transfers between user shares, i.e.:

/mnt/disk3/plots/ to /mnt/disk9/plotsraid/ can be faster than /mnt/user/plots/ to /mnt/user/plotsraid/

21 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

/mnt/disk3/plots/ to /mnt/disk9/plotsraid/ can be faster than /mnt/user/plots/ to /mnt/user/plotsraid/

Thats the exact syntax I used in mc and the avg speed was in the mid 40MB/s range.

nohup mv /mnt/disk3/plots/* /mnt/disk9/plotsraid &

Very strange behavior.  

Edited by cjizzle

Turns out the battery was bad in the primary Controller 0 on the MD3200, so it locked it out leaving Controller 1 to do all the work even though it wasn't the "owner" of the virtual disk.  Replaced the battery in 0 and then made controller 1 the owner and now have sustained 200+MB/s transfers using MC (same transfer as above, Disk3 to Disk9).

Im a dolt. Hardware...check the friggin hardware...

• Like 1