[Solved - Heat & APC Issues] Unraid Reboots everyweek. Please help find issue!

Almost every week my Unraid server reboots. The only time I find out is if I log in and see that an unscheduled parity check was started and the server "up-time" was reset. 

I'm not sure what someone needs from me to help diagnose the issue.

But it would be much appreciated if someone could guide me in finding out.   

Edited by ThorThe1
Updated Topic
  • ThorThe1 changed the title to Unraid Reboots everyweek. Please help find issue!
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Probably power or other hardware issue such as overheating.

Trurl,
Thank you for your reply!

Ok, so how do I go about looking in to something like that? Are there specific logs that I need to look at? 
If I look at the "System Logs" I'm not really sure on what I'm looking at.

They system was running about ~4 hours before I downloaded these (going off of the "up-time" counter). 

Attached is the sys logs I downloaded.

syslog.txt

Edited by ThorThe1

Instead of only syslog, better to give us the complete Diagnostics ZIP file available on the Tools page. It has syslog since last reboot and many other things that tell us about your hardware and configuration. I often don't even bother to look at syslog until I have looked at other things in Diagnostics.

Also, since you are getting crashes/reboots, you should setup Syslog Server to save syslogs that can be retrieved after reboots.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Troubleshooting#Persistent_Logs_.28Syslog_server.29

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Instead of only syslog, better to give us the complete Diagnostics ZIP file available on the Tools page. It has syslog since last reboot and many other things that tell us about your hardware and configuration. I often don't even bother to look at syslog until I have looked at other things in Diagnostics.

Also, since you are getting crashes/reboots, you should setup Syslog Server to save syslogs that can be retrieved after reboots.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Troubleshooting#Persistent_Logs_.28Syslog_server.29

Here we go! Zip file posted. 

Ok, I'll check out the wiki on persistent logs.

thetower-diagnostics-20210605-1335.zip

On 6/6/2021 at 6:57 PM, trurl said:

Have you been able to complete a parity check after these unclean shutdowns?

Have you done memtest?

I'm waiting on it to finish the parity check now.
I ended up installing a high pressure fan in the case to see if the issue is overheating. So far it has not rebooted, yet. 
I'll post again in a week to see if the heat was the issue.

• ThorThe1 changed the title to [Solved] Unraid Reboots everyweek. Please help find issue!
On 6/8/2021 at 9:44 PM, trurl said:

Unclean shutdown triggers non-correcting parity check, so if you do have sync errors, you will have to run a correcting check to correct them. Exactly zero sync errors is the only acceptable result and until you get there you still have work to do.

Here's an update!
My parity check returned no issues at all.

It looks like there were a couple issues here.

HEAT

I added a high speed filtered box fan to push air through my server.

Then added an industrial fan to circulate the air around the garage (no way to air condition the garage and to expensive right now).

My server seemed fine for a few days. . . then random shut downs started happening again. Previously, my drives, motherboard and other components were pushing 40-60 degrees Celsius before I added the fans (now 30-40's max). 

So I figured that was not the issue anymore.

Power

I was on my gaming pc one day and my internet went out. So I went down stairs and it looked like my server also reset itself. 
The only common factor that my server has with my networking equipment is the Back-up APC that is powering both of them and my mac-pro.
I unplugged everything from the APC taking it out of the loop. Ever since I did that I have had no issues.  

The APC unit was from Good Will and worked fine for about 5 months. Looks like I will have to get new one. 

But this time, I'll have one for each one of my systems to limit the stress on the APC.

• ThorThe1 changed the title to [Solved - Heat & APC Issues] Unraid Reboots everyweek. Please help find issue!
3 hours ago, ThorThe1 said:

The APC unit was from Good Will and worked fine for about 5 months. Looks like I will have to get new one.

You might want to check out the battery.  Connect a two-to-three hundred watts of incandescent lamps to the battery protected outlet(s) and pull the plug.  See how long they run.  Five minutes should be the minimum!  You might say, "Well, there were not power outages...."  The thing to remember is that a lot of APC units will also go online when the line voltage drops!  And with hot summer weather, that is quite common!

22 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

You might want to check out the battery.  Connect a two-to-three hundred watts of incandescent lamps to the battery protected outlet(s) and pull the plug.  See how long they run.  Five minutes should be the minimum!  You might say, "Well, there were not power outages...."  The thing to remember is that a lot of APC units will also go online when the line voltage drops!  And with hot summer weather, that is quite common!

That’s a good point Frank1940! I’ll have to test that out when I have time to observe it.