How to deal with passthrough of all USB except Flash?

I’ve managed up till now passing through all my USB ports via IOMMU groups except the one the boot flash was plugged into. But adding a new device has scrambled this, and I don’t know how to proceed.

I’ve been operating fairly happily for four months now with Unraid as my home NAS and as the hypervisor for my Win 10 gaming/dev machine. Few problems, none on the Unraid side, just on the Windows side.

But getting it set up right required

1. Putting my boot flash on a USB-A → USB-C adapter and plugging it into my mobo’s lone USB-C port
  2. Passing through all the USB busses except for the USB-C one.

This meant I couldn’t use USB-C devices in Windows, but that wasn’t a big deal. The alternatives were to only passthrough two USB 2 or three USB 2.1 ports plus a USB-C port, and that just wasn’t sufficient for my Windows installation.

I’ve now run into a more difficult issue.

I have an Intel WiFi/Bluetooth PCI card that has a USB header—basically, the WiFi goes through PCI but the Bluetooth goes through the USB (though it can’t be powered via USB, so the card has to sit in a PCI slot even if you aren’t using it for WiFi). This was weird, but fine—the USB bus that saw the Bluetooth adapter was one of the ones I was already passing through.

But, I needed to move the card to a different PCI slot to accommodate a new SATA HBA since I was adding a couple new disks to my pools—the Intel wireless card was in a full-width slot even though it was just an x1 card.

Unfortunately, when I moved the card to the free x1 slot, the Bluetooth’s USB device moved, too—to the same bus the USB-C port is on. I don’t understand this—I’d think that the header would determine the bus, not the PCI slot, but I don’t really understand how this odd hybrid PCI/USB card works.

I’d already broken up the IOMMU groups as much as possible before finding my only choice for the boot flash was the USB-C port.

So what now? Are either buying a Bluetooth card that doesn’t require USB, or else an actual Bluetooth USB dongle I can plug into (a hub attached to) one of the currently passed-through buses, my only options (other than not using the new HBA)?

Edited by TreyH
Clarification