Changing Cache driver

Hi all I currently have three SSD's in a pool as my cache drives for a total of 870GB of cache.

I am in the process of moving my setup to a new case and would like use a 1TB SSD as my cache driver instead of three drivers as picture in the attachment.

I have 1 VM as well as the appdata for all my dockers.

What is the easiest and most pain free way to replace the drives.

Little bit of a noob when it comes to all things linux based. 

Any help would be great. Cheers

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 11.23.15 am.png

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

For the amount of data you have probably best to backup pool to array, create new pool and restore, but if you prefer to keep dockers/VM online it's also possible to add the new device and then remove the other ones one by one, just note that direct device replacement is broken on v6.9.x and can't be used unless done manually.

I had a look at the post you reference.

Im a little confused on 

-  Click on Shares and change to "Yes" all cache shares with "Use cache disk:" set to "Only" or "Prefer"

So in my case I would change the following from :

appdata                                       Only : Cache

To 

appdata                                       Yes : Prefer

Is that right?

1 hour ago, JWMutant said:

Im a little confused on 

-  Click on Shares and change to "Yes" all cache shares with "Use cache disk:" set to "Only" or "Prefer"

So in my case I would change the following from :

appdata                                       Only : Cache

To 

appdata                                       Yes : Prefer

I'm confused by how you have presented the changes you propose. The link is much clearer than that.

And depending on what you have done in the past, there is also the possibility that you have some files from a cache-no share that are actually still on cache.

Post your Diagnostics and we can take a look at the specific shares that have files on cache and walk you through the multiple steps needed to get files moved from cache and then back to cache.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

I'm confused by how you have presented the changes you propose. The link is much clearer than that.

And depending on what you have done in the past, there is also the possibility that you have some files from a cache-no share that are actually still on cache.

Post your Diagnostics and we can take a look at the specific shares that have files on cache and walk you through the multiple steps needed to get files moved from cache and then back to cache.

Sure, Happy to.... probably a good idea as im sure ill stuff something up.

tower-diagnostics-20210606-2144.zip

Maybe this is what you were proposing but I'm not sure.

You have several shares set as cache-only, appdata, system, some others related to VMs. Mover can't move open files, so you will have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings before you can move these shares off cache.

Set each of these shares to cache-yes and run mover to get them moved to the array. Check to make sure everything got moved from cache before replacing cache. I don't anticipate any problems such as duplicates because all these shares are cache-only and currently have no files on the array.

After you replace cache, set any shares you want moved back to cache to cache-prefer, then run mover.

After you have things back on cache you can set these to cache-only if you want, then enable dockers and VMs.

• Like 1