"SOLVED" Will this HP DL380 Gen9 Card work with My Lenovo 8i card?

Hello,

I have a Lenovo 9240-8i with LSI 9210-8i FW 6Gbps SAS HBA P20 IT Mode ZFS for my unRAID system and I'm wondering if this card HP 727252-001 761879-001 727523-001 12GB SAS Expansion Board for DL380 Gen 9 will work with this card listed by using the proper SAS cables Mini SAS to Mini SAS Cable (Mini-SAS to Mini-SAS Cable) 1.6 Feet, 0.5m? 
As I have a 24 bay server case now and would like to use this card for it.
Thank you for your help and time,

Edited by Splatman2
Solved
7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Should work fine.

Thank you. I ordered it. My gut said it should work but best to ask for advice first. Now I need to locate the instruction on the plug in slots from the LSI as pictures I've seen don't show them and olny ports 1 thru 9

Good to know thank you. I found this in the online manual at HPE in case anyone else is looking to get this type of card.

HP 727252-001 761879-001 727523-001 12GB SAS Expansion Board for DL380 Gen 9 or 10

Drive bay numbering: SAS expander

Drive numbering through a SAS Expander is continuous.

SAS expander port 1 always connects to port 1 of the controller.

SAS expander port 2 always connects to port 2 of the controller.

SAS expander port 3 = drive numbers 1-4.

SAS expander port 4 = drive numbers 5-8.

SAS expander port 5 = drive numbers 9-12.

SAS expander port 6 = drive numbers 13-16.

SAS expander port 7 = drive numbers 17-20.

SAS expander port 8 = drive numbers 21-24.

SAS expander port 9 = drive numbers 25-28.

Common configuration examples:

Maybe there could be other ways of connecting it but for me this way is my plan.

I will close this thread probably in the next week once I have tested it to work for me as expected.  

• Like 1
  • Splatman2 changed the title to "SOLVED" Will this HP DL380 Gen9 Card work with My Lenovo 8i card?

This  card does in fact work and after 3 weeks its been working just fine. No complaints. Found it on eBay being sold as what it is instead of what else it can do in another system and the price wasn't jacked up because the seller didn't think it was used in crypto.

Have fun,

And Thanks again @JorgeB

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Came across this thread and glad to hear this SAS Expander card worked.. about to go for it but a little confused about the cables I need.. I have an LSI 9300-8i HBA card in my unraid box at the moment which has 2 Mini SAS HD ports (SFF 8643) . Its currently connected to 8 SATA drives using two SFF8643-to-4x-SATA cables.

So in order to use the  HP 727252-001 SAS Expander card to host 18 HDD's and 5 SSD's, I think I need to order:

- Two Internal Mini SAS HD (SFF-8643) to Mini SAS (SFF-8087) [Which I will connect between ports 1 and 2 of my HBA card to ports 1 and 2 of the HP SAS Expander card)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AOS4U4O/ref=ox_sc_act_image_11?smid=AE2OZG2NN3099&psc=1

- Six Internal Mini SAS SFF8087-to-6x-SATA cables [Which I will connect between ports 3 thru 9 of the HP SAS expander card and the drives

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088GL3NS2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1IR1GJH6XB88L&psc=1

My case is a Fractal Meshify XL2 using an MSI Z590 motherboard. I dont have any backplanes and would like to connect the drives directly to the SAS expander card.

I was all set to order the above until I started reading about SFF8087-SATA *REVERSE* Cables  and became a bit confused. Would really appreciate  some pointers!