Running VMWARE ESXI within a Docker VM Guest

before I go ahead and do this, I would like to check a few things, 

the VMware Environment is only going to be used for testing and learning the environment, and will only be up - as and when I need it.

I current have a B450 Tomhawk motherboard with a RYZEN 7 2700 CPU @ 3200Mhz and I current have 16 GBS of ram @ 3200Mhz, which I am planning on expending to 32GB

what I would like to know:

would I be able to set up a private environment that will allow me to create a heartbeat, VMotion and Storage Ip Ranges - Ref Image

so that I can walk through my course and also create and test the my knowledge.

image.thumb.png.1505c6c8ee06bb0fcb53920349e02f02.png

Edited by chris_netsmart
v

I assume you did this:

Change from virtio-net to vmxnet3

<interface type='bridge'> <mac address='52:54:00:67:54:a0'/> <source bridge='br0'/> <model type='virtio-net'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/> </interface>

to

<interface type='bridge'> <mac address='52:54:00:67:54:a0'/> <source bridge='br0'/> <model type='vmxnet3'/> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/> </interface>

Once you change the network card to vmxnet3 in the "form-view" you can't edit it again that way as it resets the network controller. On the post you reference, rootisgod says:

NOTE

Never edit this again in the Form View as it will undo the changes or even make it an invalid config. So try to change to XML first. It’s really annoying…

Caught me out a few times trying to get mine to work.

I did deploy it OK at 7.0.2 but I could not get write access to the datastore I created. Followed the guide on rootisgod with variations on the disk type but it never worked. Could create the VMFS on the allocated space but could not do anything with it - as in can't copy stuff to the datastore or deploy OVAs using it as a datastore.

No idea why. Tried ESXI within ProxMox and that was OK - but not ideal!

Shame as I don't want to run unRAID in ESXI as I only use it (ESXi) infrequently for stuff that needs prebuilt OVAs.

Tried it on a Gen8 microserver and a ML350 Gen10 so might be an HPE driver issue but was using the HPE prebundled VSphere so assume the drivers are ok.

Hope you get it to work ;)

Edited by rata1