Tdarr and nvidia encoding not working on my GPU

I have an nvidia 1660 SUPER GPU, it works fine with plex.

I cannot get tdarr to leverage it. I have it set to use the GPU only for both Health and Transcode tasks, it's not using the GPU for either.

I'm looking for any and all advice you are willing to offer.

2021-06-09 12_47_10-Window.png

2021-06-09 12_47_29-Window.png

2021-06-09 12_47_37-Window.png

2021-06-09 12_47_56-Window.png

2021-06-09 12_48_20-Window.png

2021-06-09 12_48_36-Window.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SonOfTux said:

I'm getting a similar issue, but in my case transcodes using handbrake are seeing and using my nvidia P400 but ffmpeg is failing with the log showing that it can't see an nvidia card.

The version of Handbrake that is available in the CA App does not support NVENC.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, ich777 said:

The version of Handbrake that is available in the CA App does not support NVENC.

Strange🤔, I'm using the haveagitgat/tdarr containers from CA App and handbrake transcodes with NVENC seem to be working fine for me - cpu usage is about 5-20% (much lower than the 50-90% for cpu only transcode) and an active app is showing up and encoder usage to going to 100% on the GPU in the dashboard . But as I said, when I do a transcode using a plugin that uses NVENC x265 ffmepg transcodes it fails to find an NVENC capable graphics card.

12 minutes ago, SonOfTux said:
Strange, I'm using the haveagitgat/tdarr containers from CA App and handbrake transcodes with NVENC seem to be working fine for me - cpu usage is about 5-20% (much lower than the 50-90% for cpu only transcode) and an active app is showing up and encoder usage to going to 100% on the GPU in the dashboard . But as I said, when I do a transcode using a plugin that uses NVENC x265 ffmepg transcodes it fails to find an NVENC capable graphics card.

Can you post the repository from the HandBrake container that you are using?

EDIT: Please also look here:

Sent from my C64

I'm not using a separate handbrake container, it's built into the tdarr container I'm using. It' ffmpeg transcode withing that tdarr container that are failing. Handbrake ones are okay.
Ah okay, didn't know that Handbrake is built into Tdarr...
I thought you where talking about the Handbrake container that is available in the CA App.

Sent from my C64

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ricofall said:

Just wanted to state I am having the same issue with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti.  Its like Tdarr is not seeing the GPU. 

Open up a terminal from the contaiber and type in:

nvidia-smi

What type of format are you trying to convert?

You know that the 750Ti isn't capable of transcoding h265?

I just had the same issue with my GPU node not working.  I was able to resolve the issue with Spaceinvader One's video.

In addition to adding --runtime=nvidia to extra parameters, you need to add the following two variables.  The section of the video starts right at 14:48 https://youtu.be/U6UMjTlwrxs?t=888

Variables used in the template to add

GPU NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES value Your gpu id

NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES value

Hopefully this resolves your issues.

Edited by Lobus
On 12/8/2021 at 2:50 AM, ich777 said:

Open up a terminal from the contaiber and type in:

nvidia-smi

What type of format are you trying to convert?

You know that the 750Ti isn't capable of transcoding h265?

Welp.....I am not aware it is not able to transcode to h265.  I know it works with Plex.  What would be a good graphics card for this?

terminal.png

3 hours ago, ricofall said:

I know it works with Plex.

I can't imagine that it works with Plex because it's a limitation from the card.

You are talking about transcoding...

Transcoding to h264 works but not to h265 because tha card isn't capable of doing so.

3 hours ago, ricofall said:

What would be a good graphics card for this?

I think a Nvidia T400 is the card to go if you don't have many transcodes at once, you can get them for about $130,- new.

• 1 month later...

Anyone who was having problems, ge the th GPU's to transcode? I tried a 1660 super and a 2060 super with no luck. All the settings/parameters were correct -  tdarr continued to use CPU.

edit: My issue was from it being mis-configured in the codec selection.  I think maybe an update or something had the changed the settings as everything was working previously.  The container had transcoded 8TB worth of files previously without issue. 

Edited by Vatoe
  • ich777 locked this topic