Asus board: how do when i do a shut down doesnt turn off WOL feature?

im running an ASus Board.. as my backup server

its set in the BIOS for WOL   

as i want to have my main server tower  turn on backup server and shut down each night

what i finding  is  when i turn off backupserver from power button or from the gui..  it turns off the Network card light.. and you can no longer WOL... you need to turn off the power switch , or unplug power and replug it in  and the BIOS will re activate the WOL feature..

is there something i need to do for asus board to stop it.. and keep the WOL feature alive in the bios?

and the board is is 

ASUS prime a320m-k  with cheap cpu in there. cant remember at the moment

is it an AMD issue?  its turning off 

oh and i did add to the GO file

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

but it keeps resetting to "d"   for wol on reboot..

what is d?  

is there a config file to delete or like windows uninstall network card then re plug it back in  to fix the issue

Edited by comet424

i do have the Plugin  and i tried  going to Sleep with the Power Button  and the ethernet lite shuts off..  but if i type that code

ethtool -s eth0 wol g  and then power button sleep mode  option then the ethernet stays lite up and i can re power it up backup

only reason  i want to sleep it.. or shut off is it doesnt do anything for 24 hours so at 3am  it backs up any thing the needs backuping up from tower's rysnc   usually its done in 10min -20min  and then i dont need it for another 24 hours so figure  dont need to keep it powered on 24/7  but i will if i have to..  which i already do now.. just trying to save electricty.. as in Ontario canada we get bent over for hydro prices 

• 8 months later...

I am having the exact same issue. when I start motherboard and go into bios, then shutdown, WOL works without issue; somehow the shutdown procedure overwrites the 'Wake-on:' setting of eth0 to 'd'. Did you ever find a permanent solution?

I am also finding that the Sleep plugin does not allow me to wake the machine up again, no matter which letter is set for eth0.

Update: when setting the controller manually to g with ethtool -s eth0 wol g then I can wake the server from sleep and it retains the setting.

Edited by GMAsterAU
new finding
On 3/7/2022 at 7:05 AM, GMAsterAU said:

I am having the exact same issue. when I start motherboard and go into bios, then shutdown, WOL works without issue; somehow the shutdown procedure overwrites the 'Wake-on:' setting of eth0 to 'd'. Did you ever find a permanent solution?

I am also finding that the Sleep plugin does not allow me to wake the machine up again, no matter which letter is set for eth0.

Update: when setting the controller manually to g with ethtool -s eth0 wol g then I can wake the server from sleep and it retains the setting.

ok for me the (semi)-permanent solution was: set MB BIOS to 'PME wake from S5 state' and add 

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

at the end of the GO file.

Now as long as I do unplug the computer I can WOL and shutdown no issues. If I unplug the machine, then I have to manually start it and can proceed from there.

Edited by GMAsterAU
clarification

@GMAsterAU

no i never  i ended up just using the board to play with unraid  and Truenas.. which truenas is frustrating me....

i think sometimes if it worked.. it only work if i sleeped  unraid...  but i havent tried in a while..

and i havent updated to the latest bios   but i should retry..    as with this pandemic  i couldnt afford another compujter so i just use this one to play with things

but i should retest it..  i havent bothered to test it.. or update if it has a 2022 bios update if there is one