6.8.3 to 6.9.2 upgrade issues and rollback

After making sure my 6.8.3 was stable I made a dumb decision to update to 6.9.2

After updating and rebooting the server the Unraid started..

Loading /bzimage....ok

Loading /bzroot..._

then black screen, beep... BIOS logo and infinite loop from there.

I pulled the USB and moved all the files from the backup folder to root of the USB overwriting the 6.9.2

Booting up I was able to get into the OS without issues.

Once back in OS (6.8.3) I noticed a few GUI display errors.

1943033133_GUIerrors.thumb.PNG.5bdbe939e90b7fb86e9928df69509944.PNG

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function parse_file() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(520) : eval()'d code:19 Stack trace: #0 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(520): eval() #1 /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/template.php(60): require_once('/usr/local/emht...') #2 {main} thrown in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(520) : eval()'d code on line 19

Of course I couldn't start the array there, but was able to use some Android app to start.

(Seems to be some Unassigned Devices issue, I posted this issue there).

Anything I can submit to troubleshoot for upgrading to 6.9.2?

tower-diagnostics-20210610-2317.zip

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Backup current flash, re-do it then restore the config folder only.

No change. :(

Backed up whole 6.8.3 USB.

Booted Unraid., and upgraded to 6.9.2 (didn't turn on array)

Tried to boot normally.. failed.

Backed up whole 6.9.2 USB.

Deleted config folder from 6.9.2 and copied the same folder from 6.8.3 backup.

Tried booting again and stuck in infinite loop.

36 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

From what you described doesn't look like you re-did the flash drive, i.e., backup, re-create with the Unraid USB tool, restore config folder from backup.

Oh, ok..,I misunderstood what "re-do" the flash drive meant. :)

Unfortunately I just rebuilt the whole USB flash from scratch, copied the config folder in and it's the same infinite loop thing.

Thanks

Edited by dimitriz
1 hour ago, dimitriz said:

Ok, under 6.9.2 I was able to boot with the option Unraid OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins).

That suggests you have a plugin causing a problem as Safe Mode disables installation of any plugins.

It is going to be a trial and error exercise to work out the culprit.   The easiest thing to do is to start by renaming all the .plg files in the config/plugins folder on the flash to have a different extension as those are the files that control the loading of each plugin.  You can now start renaming them back one at a time to the .plg extension and then rebooting until you find the problem One.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

That suggests you have a plugin causing a problem as Safe Mode disables installation of any plugins.

It is going to be a trial and error exercise to work out the culprit.   The easiest thing to do is to start by renaming all the .plg files in the config/plugins folder on the flash to have a different extension as those are the files that control the loading of each plugin.  You can now start renaming them back one at a time to the .plg extension and then rebooting until you find the problem One.

Thanks. I was kind of leaning that the issue is with one of the plugins also.

Fun time reboots.. :)

The only thing that sucks is that I have to sit by the server as for some reason my PC sometimes doesn't see any USB devices connected (including the Unraid USB). Been through BIOS at least 10 times tweaking but cant find any settings that helps.

4 hours ago, dimitriz said:

Well, that was a No-Go also.

Renamed all the .plg files same boot loop.

Got back in and renamed the whole plugins folder .., same thing. 

Hmmm.. beginning to scratch my head here.. wtf.. lol

I thought you said you could successfully boot into GUI Safe mode?   Is that still true?     Booting into normal GUI mode with all plugins disabled should effectively be the same.

4 hours ago, dimitriz said:

Got back in and renamed the whole plugins folder .., same thin

You do not want to do this as you would disable some standard built-in functionality.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

I thought you said you could successfully boot into GUI Safe mode?   Is that still true?     Booting into normal GUI mode with all plugins disabled should effectively be the same.

You do not want to do this as you would disable some standard built-in functionality.

You read correctly. Booting to Safe Mode GuI works fine, but renaming plugins and trying to boot normal doesnt work.

The one thing I noticed is that during the normal boot there is the 3rd line flashes after there:

Loading /bzimage....ok

Loading /bzroot..._

When it doesnt work right and goes into the loop the 3d line doesnt quickly flash... the screen turns black, beep and ASUS logo...

There were 2 plugins that are installed by default and I believe it recreated them when I renamed the directory. Not 100% sure, but I remember when I looked in the folder it had them there.

I am on 6.8.3 now with everything running Ok. Will test some more 

• 6 months later...

Ok, so back to this issue. (Have a bit more time now)

Still stuck.

Pulled a new flash drive and made a fresh install of Unraid 6.9.2

Still get a reboot at:

Loading /bzroot..._

The issue is definitely has something to do with either changes from 6.8.3 to 6.9.2.

Beyond this the system is stable with absolutely no issues.

Trying 6.9.1.... and that one works...

Interesting, 6.10.0-rc2 works also. So something is definitely screwed up in 6.9.2

Edited by dimitriz