CPU or GPU for Transcoding Plex

wickyd

My Unraid Server currently has a dual Xeon E5-2640 V2 @ 2GHZ.  I have the option to put in a Quadro P1000 w/ 4GB.  I do quite a bit of transcoding (common for 3-4 streams at a time).  I've also noticed that when I'm playing 4k videos, it hurts my cpu quite a bit.  Is the Quadro P1000 better for transcoding than my dual procs?  I know that the P1000 is locked for 3 simultaneous streams but I figured I can unlock that.  Advice?

TLDR: dual Xeon E5-2640 V2 @ 2GHZ vs. Quadro P1000, which would transcode better/more?

I would imagine there is no simple answer, other than to say if you can, try the discrete GPU method.  I run Emby on my server with a Quadro P2200. I have it do all my transcoding instead of my Ryzen 9 3900x and it does a far superior job. I have my card split between my Emby docker and Handbrake, using the H.265 NVEnc encoder is way faster than my CPU.   Though I don't often have as many concurrent streams going as you do, the card I have is newer with more VRAM. 

The most reliable test to see if it will work is going to be a real world test. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Alex.vision
On 6/12/2021 at 2:42 AM, wickyd said:

It does have an integrated GPU

No it doesn't, eventually you are using a server mortherboard that has integrated graphics, with some kind of Aspeed chip.

On 6/11/2021 at 4:59 PM, wickyd said:

I've also noticed that when I'm playing 4k videos, it hurts my cpu quite a bit.  Is the Quadro P1000

If you are transcoding quite a bit I would strongly recommend to install the Nvidia Driver plugin and use the P1000 to transcode because it's way more efficient and saves power too.

Just a little side note: Keep in mind if you have for example a 8th or 9th Gen+ Intel CPU with iGPU it is as fast and has the same capabilities as a GTX1060 or you about your P1000 and has no limitation in terms of simultaneous transcodes.

On 6/11/2021 at 4:59 PM, wickyd said:

I know that the P1000 is locked for 3 simultaneous streams but I figured I can unlock that.

Are you sure about that? I really don't know if all the Quadro cards are unlocked but for example a Quadro P2000 has no transcoding limit.