"Out of memory" problems (SOLVED)

Newbie to Unraid. Just built my first real computer runing it with Unraid 6.9.2.The idea is to have a NAS and a Windows 10 VM for gaming and Lightroom. Got a lot of help by watching Spaceinvader One's videos. Big shout out to you. I've installed the usual dockers and plugins according to his recommendations. I think I sorted out most of my early mistakes but - I keep getting problems with my Windows 10 VM - it crashes or freezes.  I run "Fix common problems" and it tells me "Out Of Memory errors detected on your server". It seems to be related to my cache? It keeps filling up and I need to force start the "mover" to clear it. Dont understand what fills it. But I also see that my RAM runs at 100% or close to. Surfed the  forums but can't really figure out what is the issue in my setup. Would very much appreciate any input. 

Some other related (?) problems: Earlier I've had issues with the GPU not being recognized/passed through properly, then sound not working. GPU seems to be working fine now (I installed an extra basic GPU and it made my life easier..) but sound crashes inside the VM sometimes, like when I start a game. Also came across the "Execution error - Internal error: qemo unexpectedly closed the monitor" error but it seems to not be the issue any more.  

I'm running:

ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING, with latest BIOS

Ryzen 5 5600X / 6 cores / 12 threads / 4.6 GHz

Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Vengeance RG

Cache: Samsung 980 Pro series SSD 500GB M.2 (MZ-V8P500)

1x 8TB partition drive and 4x drives of various sizes (<8TB)

Any thoughts? Thank you for your time!

tower-diagnostics-20210612-0021.zip

Edited by swe_sailorboy

You have a share anonymized as L-------m set to cache-prefer. What is the purpose of this share? Prefer means "prefer" to keep all files on cache and if any overflow to the array try to move them to cache when there is space. Typically you will only want to have appdata, domains, system staying on cache, at least until you get a better idea how to use cache.

Thanks - that was a mistake I made earlier that I thought I had fixed. It's my "Lightroom" share. I changed it now to "Yes" and I have run "Mover" once again after.

Once Mover finished I started the Windows 10 VM again and it seems to start ok but occasionaly it seems to run out of RAM. On the Unraid - Dashboard tab I can see my RAM running at 97-98% and "Fix common problems" still tells me I have "Out Of Memory errors detected on your server". More good tips?

image.png.acd4d1f1bfcfb8b87cc45774a9948964.png

Thanks to both of you. After also adjusting the RAM for the VM it seems to be better balanced and I have now done a proper test run for more than 5 days without any hick-ups. My understanding was that Unraid only need like 1-2 GB RAM but I didn't take into account the actual VM-emulation. 

Appreciate you taking the time to help me out! 

• swe_sailorboy changed the title to "Out of memory" problems (SOLVED)
8 hours ago, swe_sailorboy said:

I didn't take into account the actual VM-emulation. 

Yeah, people don't seem to realize that when you are running a VM, all the jobs normally done by the motherboard are now handled in software. So, the more resources you give the host, the faster the virtual motherboard can run. It's a balancing act, but generally giving the VM the bare minimum needed will result in a faster running machine. Anything you allocate to the VM is locked away and unusable by the host.